Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next

Iron Warriors V3.1 (final version)

Post subject: Re: Iron Warriors V2.5a
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After having my IW models for several years. I'm finally going to use them in a game of EA in the near future. Had a couple of questions on the most current iteration of the list:

1. Superheavy Company
Is the entry to be read as Stormswords OR Decimators, or Stormswords AND Decimators (0-3 total or 0-6 total)?

2. Chaos Vindicator entry
Walker? Really?

3. Models
What proxies (assuming no original models are available) are people using for the following:
Obliterators
Stalkers
Siege Dreadnoughts
Decimators
Ordinatus Medrengard

Thanks for any assistance in advance. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KaJo wrote:
Walker? Really?

Ummmmmm care to elaborate? Vindicators have always had walker in EA. (the dozer blade)

KaJo wrote:
Stalkers

I'm using the EW Icarus turrets for mine. Honestly you can get away with using the Hunter model as well. There's a single AA choice so it's not going to lead to confusion.

KaJo wrote:
Siege Dreadnoughts

Pretty easy to stick some bits on them to be hacking parts or drills. Another option, which I am taking, is to use the old Contemptor plastic dreads for chaos dreads and the EA dreads for Siege.

KaJo wrote:
Decimators

Baneblade

KaJo wrote:
Ordinatus Medrengard

Anything big and artillery looking. Plenty of traction with WW2 models it appears. I'm going with a chaos-ified Charybidis from Todd
http://www.microworldgames.com/collecti ... charybidis

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Ummmmmm care to elaborate? Vindicators have always had walker in EA. (the dozer blade)

Never played Epic before; seems odd at first glance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah the name of the special rule isn't very fitting but the rule mechanic is :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

KaJo wrote:
After having my IW models for several years. I'm finally going to use them in a game of EA in the near future. Had a couple of questions on the most current iteration of the list:

1. Superheavy Company
Is the entry to be read as Stormswords OR Decimators, or Stormswords AND Decimators (0-3 total or 0-6 total)?
You can mix and match as you like but there is a maximum of 3 tanks per formation.

Quote:
Walker? Really?
As Jimmy said, it's always been there.

Quote:
3. Models
What proxies (assuming no original models are available) are people using for the following:
Obliterators
Stalkers
Siege Dreadnoughts
Decimators
Ordinatus Medrengard
I used the old plastic Dreadnoughts/robots as a base for my Obliterators.
Stalkers are easily made with Rhino hulls and Exodus Wars Icharus turrets.
Siege Dreadnoughts - What Jimmy said again (thanks Jimmy 8) ).
Decimators - any of the Imperial super heavies can be used as a proxy or base for conversions.
Ordinatus - many of the Iron Warrior players have kit-bashed up this center piece of the army. Another great option is the Cybershadows Heavy Conveyor from Troublemaker Games. I have one of these and the scale is good.

It would be great to see what you come up with and I look forward to hearing how the Iron Warriors go in your games!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the suggestions and answers - appreciated. Going with the Troublemaker Citadel and Marksman from the current Indiegogo campaign for the Stormswords and Decimators, and the Heavy Conveyor for the Ordinatus. Since the old Chaos Dreads are tough to find (and a bit pricey when found) I'll be giving that job to the Cybershadow Heavy Cyborgs.

One of my regular opponents retrieved his Epic lot from storage today and found one each of Banelord, Ravager, and Lord of Battles that I'll be able to get my hands on in the near future, too. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I played my first game using the current IW liist, allied with a 3k Ork forces against Steel Legions and Sisters, with my forces facing off against the Steel Legions.

Iron Warriors:
IW Company
+5 Rhinos, 1 Stalker, 3 Dreadnoughts
Defiler Pack
+2 Defiler
Armored Assault Coy
+1 Stalker
Armored Coy - 8 Predators + Stalker
Artillery Battery
+1 Stalker
Hellblade Flight
Ordinatus Medrengard

Yes, there are some deficiencies in the list (too few, too large, 25 points over limit, and no Warsmith), but those were mostly covered by my 'ally' for the game . Also, being my first game of EA and the first in quite a long time for the other three players, we only finished through the end of turn 2, and were concentrating more on learning the relative strengths and weaknesses of the chosen formations rather than putting an emphasis on objectives.

IIRC, the Steel Legions list was something like:
Leman Russ Coy
+ Vanquisher
Superheavy Coy (baneblades)
Mech Inf Coy
+3 Hellhounds
Artillery Coy
+3 Manticore
FlaK Battery
Warhound Titan

Rather than give a turn by turn replay, some general observations on the current IW list:

1. I wouldn't take the Ordinatus again in its current form - too costly for its effectiveness, given the short ordinatus weapon range and slooow speed. I'd recommend increasing the movement to 15cm or the ordinatus range to 75cm and reducing it by 50-75 points.

2. While I didn't take a Grand Battery, I'd recommend allowing Basilisk and/or Daemon Artillery upgrades for the formation, and reducing the single artillery battery cost to 225 or 250 (a 100% surcharge for being a separate unit as opposed to a unit upgrade is a bit over the top).

3. I considered taking a superheavy company, but again, not worth its stated point values; disallowing the possibility of a Chaos Baneblade seems a bit out of sorts, too. I'd recommend reducing the cost for Stormswords and Decimators to 165 each (putting them on par with their Imperial counterparts), and allowing Baneblades at 175 points each (a little higher than Imperial unit cost).

4. Defiler Pack - Seems about right, but 5 Defilers for 350 seems reasonable, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:01 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks for the feedback KaJo.

A couple of questions spring to mind though:
1 - What size table did you play on?
    On a standard 6'x4' (180cm x 120cm) board, the 120cm range (IF stands for Indirect Fire in the list) of the Ordinatus is enough to cover most of the enemy's deployment zone if deployed centrally. In all but one of my games using an Ordinatus, my opponent has placed most of their army within reach of the Siege Cannon. In the other game, I specifically placed the Ordinatus nearer a corner and then targeted the out of range deployment zone with an orbital bombardment. It worked quite well ;D .
    All Ordinatus War Engines have a movement of 10cm.

2 - Would anyone ever upgrade a Grand Battery with more artillery?
    A Grand Battery would more often than not be the BTS. Adding a few more weakly armoured vehicles might make the formation too costly and fragile to protect.
    There's no way we can reduce the cost of the Artillery Battery to less than or equal to the Imperial Guard pay for it (250pts). The Iron Warriors have a Strategy Rating of 4 and Teleporting formations which have to be taken into consideration with things like Artillery. In short, Iron Warrior artillery is far more likely to be effective than Guard artillery and therefore has to pay a premium.

3 - Is there any specific background fluff for allowing Baneblades in an Iron Warriors army?
    The points cost of the Decimator Super Heavy Tank has often been discussed with no change. The Stormswords are the exact same cost as the Imperial Guard Super-heavies (200pts each as singles). The Decimator pays an extra 25pts but gains several very useful abilities. I can't see a need to change the cost of these tanks or in adding Baneblades. The higher price for taking multiples of each tank comes back to the higher Strategy Rating (than their Guard equivalents) which allows these tanks to be more effective.

4 - The main reason for the larger size Defiler formation is to reduce the spamability of these excellent units. Being a core formation means that it's possible to make an army with way more Defilers than we've seen before. By making them expensive and relatively large, we're trying to keep them balanced in regard to the rest of the list.

I look forward to seeing more of your games :)

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the response. A few points:

1. Was going by the printed range, not the IF range; noob mistake. :{[]

2. Possibly; adding even one extra vehicle would allow the Grand Battery to place an additional blast marker, and adding up to 3 more Basilisks gives the formation extra resiliency to survive counterbattery fire and get in a significant subsequent attack. This would also place its first strike capability on par with an IG battery's potential BP output.

3. A bit inconsistent to state one formation should cost more (artillery battery) and another the same amount (stormswords) as their IG equivalents, isn't it?

IMO all IG superheavies are not equal and should be valued differently. One IG list (admittedly experimental) places a SHV company of 3 at 500 points; I suspect this is closer to their true value, given that they're slightly more vulnerable when fielded as units instead of individually.

4. As I said, I can live with the Defilers either way. Making them a core formation is an interesting variant from the other Chaos lists.

We'll be playing again in a couple of weeks; I'll take the Ordinatus again so I can see what it's really capable of doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

KaJo wrote:
2. Possibly; adding even one extra vehicle would allow the Grand Battery to place an additional blast marker, and adding up to 3 more Basilisks gives the formation extra resiliency to survive counterbattery fire and get in a significant subsequent attack. This would also place its first strike capability on par with an IG battery's potential BP output.
I guess it's hard to know what to do here as we're yet to see anyone take a Grand Battery. My thoughts are that it would be too hard to protect and keep effective. In larger points games (4000-5000pts) it could be useful. Remember that the lists are designed to be balanced between 2000 and 5000pts.

Quote:
3. A bit inconsistent to state one formation should cost more (artillery battery) and another the same amount (stormswords) as their IG equivalents, isn't it?

IMO all IG superheavies are not equal and should be valued differently. One IG list (admittedly experimental) places a SHV company of 3 at 500 points; I suspect this is closer to their true value, given that they're slightly more vulnerable when fielded as units instead of individually.
Fair point on my inconsistent comment. Again though, no ones taken any Stormswords that I know of. One difference to consider about artillery and short ranged Super Heavy Tanks is that the artillery can can impact the game right from the start. Both SHT's in the list don't have the range to alpha strike an opponent. Sure they're powerful 2nd turn onwards but I find my Decimators being targeted pretty hard by then.
It's worth mentioning here that all the Guard Super Heavies are available at 3 for 500pts in approved lists (not experimental).

Quote:
We'll be playing again in a couple of weeks; I'll take the Ordinatus again so I can see what it's really capable of doing.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts then and thanks again for contributing!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:00 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I played a game over the weekend with a mate. He used the latest Tau 6.6 list and it ended in a 2:1 win to the Iron Warriors (BTS, TnH - BTS). The result was heavily influenced by the Tau only rallying one broken formation for the entire game...
More about that later.

I asked my opponent for his thoughts on the Iron Warriors list and this is a copy of his PM to me (used with his permission) :
Quote:
1. Defilers are nasty enmasse 6 per unit is good in that it cuts down the potential activation abuse that was possible with the unit size of 4. I would look at giving them a price bump to 425pts as the effectiveness (especially in combat) of a unit of 6 compared to 4 deserves imho a little bit of a bump in price especially when they are a core formation. The 425 I cant see is going to stop people from taking the but it will alter what else appears in lists (as I have realised so far in my short epic career 25 pts can make big differences in how you build a list) I also dont mind them being 420pts as well.

2. I cant see the point at all with the normal Iron Warriors company, its something I would never take. They arent bad per say but they are superflous in this list.

3. Super Heavies I would like to see moved into the Dark Mechanicus area

That is honestly where I can see possible changes happening and it being accepted considering the advanced status of the list number 1 is what I would primarily push for and beleive that will alter some list construction which is an added benefit. If it were carte blanche I would also like to do the following pieces of reorganising but dont see them as essential just imposing a few restrictions on composition.

Iron Warriors company - give them all rhinos and move them from core to seige assault
Havoc Company - bump to 325 and move to core (they are still discounted from the BL list but more to core means a slight bump)

Apart from that it looks quite alright, stalkers in general are a boon for the list over the BL list and I am very jealous at the option but I think I have found a good work around now. Everything else seems to balance itself fine over the restriction of availability.

Here was my reply:
Quote:
I understand your comments mate.

The cost bump on the Defilers is understandable. The extra 25pts is a big thing though (as you mentioned). This list struggles for activations as it is (an engineered situation), if the big toys are taken. The EpicUK list still has them for 4/275pts but I don't think I've seen them used over there yet for a comparison.

I fully agree with your comments on the Iron Warriors Company. I'd like to see them swapped with the Havocs.

The issue with moving the super-heavies is that aren't actually allied to the Iron Warriors. they are driven/crewed by the Iron Warriors themselves and are not part of the Dark Mechanicus. Fluff/background says they should stay where they are. The Black Legion list changed because it wasn't considered fluffy for an all War Engine/Armoured Vehicle list but with the Iron Warriors, this is actually quite acceptable. I'll see what others say once I post this all up.

With the other suggestions in mind, Iron Warrior Companies do have access to Rhinos (@ 10pts each). Do you mean give them 4 Rhinos for free?
I would be happy to see them swapped with the Havocs as mentioned earlier.
The 25pts price bump on the Havocs is fine with me (as a core formation).

I've been thinking about trimming some of the upgrades to formations.
Things like the Chaos Dreadnought and Defiler upgrades to the Terminators seem unnecessary.
Again the Chaos Dreadnought upgrade to the Raptors and Havocs seems silly.
Adding Basilisk to the super-heavy tanks doesn't really fit in. These were all in the list before I took over.

I'm posting this up here to stimulate some discussion.
Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?

Iron Within! ;D

Cheers,
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I would probably prefer the Havocs to be core formation over the company. I've got 3 "companies" that I'm currently painting but not sure more than 1 will ever see the table. However 1-2 Havoc companies likely always would. Also just seems more seigy and fluffy. I'd say leave the super heavies where they are. The IW's held on to a lot of their big toys from the heresy and the super heavies reflect that.

Cutting the options that no one will ever use is a pretty good call too.

Iron Warriors (Currently Building)
Daemons

My Commission Website: http://hulksmashstudios.webs.com
My Languishing Blog that will soon host some Epic stuff: http://hulksmash-homeplace.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:26 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks Hulksmash!

So does anyone have any comments/complaints if the following changes are applied:
proposed changes wrote:
- Moved the Havoc Company to the Core section and increased to 325pts
- Moved the Iron Warriors Company to the Siege Assault section
- Increased the Defiler Assault Pack to 425pts
- Removed various formation upgrades that were unnecessary/seldom used
- Fixed a couple of typos on the Siege Lord Titan
I don't want to mess any players around that have already started building their armies. That said, I think this is getting pretty close to balanced/finished.

Any comments/thoughts would be gladly appreciated!

Cheers,
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can't comment on the defilers as I don't use them much but I do agree that he Havoc formation is a cheap deal as it is.
I do not agree, however on the swap between havoc/iron warriors company. I think the only reasoning behind it is making a much more powerfull army list but that's it.
Yeah, the Iron Warriors list is pretty much finished by now. Congratulations!! My opponents feel they are very tough but not unbalanced. Still, I would like seeing people playing with something other than defilers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next