Login |  Register |  FAQ

Should Rubric stay or should it go?
Rubric stays excluding any transport and a price drop to 250 per formation. 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Rubric goes without leaving any footprint. I’ve reread the battle reports in the first post and the rubric rule would have done little change. 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Thousand Sons Development: Rubric

Post subject: Thousand Sons Development: Rubric
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lets have a look at the rubric rule. The core thousand sons formation are affected. it says:

Quote:
TS3 RUBRIC
Units which were affected by the Rubric of Ahriman are effectively automatons. They must be given consistent direction or they will cease to act. Units designated as Rubric may not take part in a March action. When making a withdrawal move (1.13.3) Rubric units may only take a single move rather than two moves. „

It is rather unique. The Black Legion aren’t doing it, same as Epic UK.
The wording is still not perfect. It was always indented to keep the rubric formations form marching what so ever. Why should rhinos be slowed down but not tanks? It doesn’t do the fluff or anything else justice. And what happens if you have a formation of Land Raider, who can march next to a formation of rubric marines transported in Land Raiders who can’t. Same goes with Rhinos in Neophyte or Scarab Occult formations. And last if it is really a disadvantage, why are they still the same price as Epic Uk formations?

It leaves two possible outcome:

Frist:
Rubric stays excluding any transport and a price drop to 250 per formation.

Second:
Rubric goes without leaving any footprint. I’ve reread the battle reports in the first post and the rubric rule would have done little change.

Lady and Gents what do you say about it?

Cheers

Ole

My pueppchenspieler blog

Building a House Devine Army

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Thousand Sons Development: Rubric
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When in doubt: sink the special rule!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i've NEVER realized that it wasn't on the stand marching but the formation the unit is part of. A disembarked rubric marine shouldn't March but if loaded on the Rhinos / Raiders should logically be able to. Are you sure that was the original intention from NH? yeah the wording "...unless embarked in a transport" needs to be added IMHO. I like the rule itself and has been around since forever.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
i've NEVER realized that it wasn't on the stand marching but the formation the unit is part of. A disembarked rubric marine shouldn't March but if loaded on the Rhinos / Raiders should logically be able to. Are you sure that was the original intention from NH? yeah the wording "...unless embarked in a transport" needs to be added IMHO. I like the rule itself and has been around since forever.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:56 pm:
nealhunt wrote:
Not as the rule is written. The TSons units would still be taking part in the March action.

Do you think there is an argument that they should be able to?

Hi Jimmy,

that is what Neal wanted. i like the hole slow and purposeful fluff. But this rule just does not fit it right. There is little logic at the moment:
First the tank problem with passengers no march without passenger march. seriously?
Second the rubrics can do the first couple of moves without any limping but the third one is just out of reach?

The more I thing about it and reread the old thread, I tend to drop the rule.

So come one guys convince me that the rule stays.

Ole

My pueppchenspieler blog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What will replace it? Will Thousand Sons simply become Marines? I think a certain amount of flavour would be lost without some sort of 'slow and purposeful' movement restrictions to reflect their unique nature.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doomkitten wrote:
What will replace it? Will Thousand Sons simply become Marines? I think a certain amount of flavour would be lost without some sort of 'slow and purposeful' movement restrictions to reflect their unique nature.

Don't worry Thousand Sons will never become Marines, to much dust in the eyes. They do play very differently. But you raised a good question and I'm open for suggestions. Maybe the scale of epic battles is just to grand to reflect something like the slow and purposeful stuff.

The 40K rule says they are not able the sprint. Well there is no sprinting in Epic. Orc Mega Armour are slow and purposeful in 40k as well, and the list was allways ignoring the fact, same as EpicUk.

So if any of you come up with a good rule here I all ears.

Ole

My pueppchenspieler blog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think you could make it a bit harder to activate the Rubic Marines. Make it harder to get them going by making them only activate on a 2+ rather than a 1+. Also make them Fearless as they are not scared of anything, they are simply animated dust in power armour.

Make the Rubic formations reliant on having a formation leader by only letting them use standard actions unless they have a formation Aspiring Sorcerer leader. If the formations leader is killed off, they can still be of some use, however their usefulness will be limited.

Make the Rubic formations reliant on having a formation leader by only letting them use standard actions unless they have a formation Aspiring Sorcerer leader. If the formations leader is killed off, they can still be of some use, however their usefulness will be limited.

I had thought about the idea of also reducing the armies Strategy rating down to a 3, however if you have a lot of Tzeentch Sorcerers, you will have a lot of them who can see the flow of possible futures, so this might counter act the Rubic problem.

These ideas might make it more thematic without overly making them too powerful, or too weak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As odd as this might sound, what about a rule that makes their orders persistent? Or, at least, harder to be dynamic?

If they have a leader, they're 1+, great, no problem, carry on and shoot things. But if they want to change orders from what they did last they're at a -2? I'm sure someone will pick apart why that's horrible, but it's a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

atension just made a good suggestion:

We use the rule the nurgle guys are using at the moment:

Nurgle armies are noted for their slow, ponderous and methodical advance. To represent this no units can March. All formations in the army receive a +1 modifier to their action test roll when attempting a Marshal action.

So obviously we would make it sound like:

Thousand Sons armies are noted for their slow, ponderous and methodical advance. To represent this no units can March. All formations in the army receive a +1 modifier to their action test roll when attempting a Marshal action.

Thank you atension. lets try it.

Ole

My pueppchenspieler blog