Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next

Black Legion rules review

Post subject: Black Legion rules review
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Demon Prince. So it would lost extra attacks or have as normal weapons or have them as MW?

If it loses the Titan-Killer note, the next note down is Macro-Weapon, which would not be removed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With assault companies moving to the Titan/Air do they loose the 0-1 restirction? And if not do you think the decimator really needs to loose MW as well?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aye, that doesn't really fall under 'minimalist' changes, Hena's right; Leave that change for the main rules review.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

What's the "short list" for the tourney mods?  Or is there one?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Neal: Everything above 'LONG TERM CHANGES' on the first post.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:49 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Why are Obliterators being removed from the Chosen formation?  Fluff wise aren't they terminators infected with a techno virus?  It would make sense to keep them in there then, considering they teleport as well.  Couldn't a price increase do the job?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally I'd prefer the Decimator to be Macro, and the Feral to be ignore cover.

Given the slow speed of the Decimator, it should have the better weapon.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Pulsar @ May 21 2008,18:51)
What kind of thing would ?Professional-looking format be? what were your ideas?

Shiny. At least a nicer format with unit pictures as a minimum, but Epic: Raiders has really set the benchmark.

Not keen on Neals suggestions?

Raptors go up 5 points
Chosen go up 5 points
Obliterators go up 10 points
Daemon Prince goes to MW instead of TK on all attacks
Assault Company moves to Titan/Air
Ferals go up 25 points

Greater Daemons drop 25 points
Ravager drops 25-50 points

Noted and most of these have been incorporated if you look closely, while others have had downgrades rather than points increases. Pixelgeek has provided his suggestions also, which have been my starting point.

I don't really want to change the Oblits, Termis and Raptors just yet. As these are limited formations, the net effect is minimal. If we remove the 0-1 restrictions it could be a much bigger issue, but that's going to require playtesting.

No defiler-AA! Rather Traitor Hydra or Chaos Hunter.

You probably have great reasons why make up AA-defiler and not to use Traitor Hydra or Chaos Hunter, and I would like to hear them.
Traitor hydra have no place in the Black Legion in my opinion. Aside from being somewhat bland Chaos Hunters doesn't seem right from a background perspective, just as Chaos don't get Whirlwinds. From a purely background perspective, they shouldn't get hunters, and unless all BL are looted Imperial vehicles that requires a change to the (admittedly limited) background on hunters. I like the idea of a monstrous daemon engine fulfilling this role, and the 40K defiler model looks like it could have some big guns on an AA mount very easily.

I've used this solution for the Emperor's Children, and I like it for a number of reasons. But this is something for the full review, so we can discuss the pros and cons later.

I'm really unsure about removal of Obliterators from Chosen. That is going to break several existing armies. I would really hope to try to fix this in other way.
What armies? Why?

Demon Prince. So it would lost extra attacks or have as normal weapons or have them as MW?
Still, MW, literally just remove the words "Titan Killer (1)" from the weapon profile, leave everything else.

Raptors also deserve some cost raise.
From playtest experience? With the 0-1 in place, it's not going to be much difference either way, so I'm not sure it's needed for the immediate changes, but I'm aware that Raptors might need more cost.

With assault companies moving to the Titan/Air do they loose the 0-1 restirction? And if not do you think the decimator really needs to loose MW as well?
No, keep the restriction for now (again, this restriction can be removed later, but I want to playtest that). If it kept the MW, it would still require a points increase.

If that would be the case, then I don't think that needs Inspiring. It's quite good enough as is for the cost.
It would be erring on the side of safety, certainly. Opinions on this?

What's the "short list" for the tourney mods? ?Or is there one?
The first two bullet lists of specific changes are the minimum. The cosmetic changes can either go at the same time or later (after all, they don't actually change the rules).

Why are Obliterators being removed from the Chosen formation? ?Fluff wise aren't they terminators infected with a techno virus? ?It would make sense to keep them in there then, considering they teleport as well. ?Couldn't a price increase do the job?
While they certainly look like Terminators I'm not sure they necessarily are. The Codex suggests they were once Techmarines. In any case they've no specific affinity to Terminators, beyond having Teleport.

The issue is that they're particularly effective when attached to Terminators. A points increase would work, but then they'd be overcosted for other formations - so people would still only take them for Terminators.

Personally, I think Chaos should have a dedicated AA and remove the AA from obliterators. But that's not for the current set of changes.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What armies?

Armies that didn't use Chaos Aircraft to project AA beyond the AA bubbles created by Obliterators.

Why?

Because BL lists don't need Chaos Aircraft for AA duties, because Obliterators can teleport in anywhere, are generally hard to surpress, and are exceptionally good at AA to boot.

Take Obliterators out of the Chaos Terminator formation, and BL armies will have to start using Fighters for AA.

Which is fine, IMHO.

Personally, I think Chaos should have a dedicated AA and remove the AA from obliterators. But that's not for the current set of changes.

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Evil and Chaos @ May 22 2008,12:04)
Armies that didn't use Chaos Aircraft to project AA beyond the AA bubbles created by Obliterators.

The only armies that are going to be affected are the ones that use Obliterators on their Chosen as their AA. Do people only use Oblits on their Chosen? Is this the only AA people use?

I'm rather confused by this reply E&C - are you responding to Hena but quoting me, or are you supporting Hena?  ???

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm rather confused by this reply E&C - are you responding to Hena but quoting me, or are you supporting Hena?  ???

I wasn't thinking about Hena at all whilst writing that part of the reply... not everything is about Hena. :D

*Waves to Hena*

The only armies that are going to be affected are the ones that use Obliterators on their Chosen as their AA. Do people only use Oblits on their Chosen? Is this the only AA people use?

Allow me to elucidate:

- People invariably take Obliterators with their Terminator Formations right now (Because they're only 10pts more and they're much, much better).

- If they're no longer allowed to take Obliterators with their Terminators, then when their Terminators teleport, instead of being nigh-invulnerable to any aircraft except Thunderhawks, the Terminators will be vulnerable.

- The consequence of that may be that BL players may want to take Chaos Fighter Aircraft more (Currently Chaos Aircraft aren't taken in competative lists, as far as I understand, because Obliterators make their presense unnessesary).

So, since pretty much all BL armies take Terminators, and all that take Terminators take Obliterators (Because they're a no-brainer upgrade), this will effect nigh-every popular BL army list.

Not that I think that's a nessesarily a bad thing, but I think that the casual chain might look something like the above, if this change goes through. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay... all makes sense and all duly noted. Pretty much what I had figured.

Actually, the issues of current army lists is an interesting one. I'll start another thread.

Edit: ha... just discovered my mod powers. Mwaha. Okay, maybe pinning a thread is a very, very small step on the road to global domination, but every little counts. ?:cool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next