Its a very special ability of his isnt it.  :angry:

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: DRM US distributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Moderator interrupts:
Ok guys, can we please just discuss DRM stuff here and not people?
cheers,
John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

Thanks for the heads up on the TMP, I have seen the comments and know thats its hard on both sides of the coin.

No one does the work to knock up a range as it really is expensive, hence the lack of variety and then at the same time you need to ensure that the public have the product at a reasonable price.  The decision arent easy and its really hard to get right.

I looked at the points mentioned and some are really good and some are mentioned purely because of cautious shopping and for me thats really good.  However I cant do things that ensure that you have a represntative in various places, cheap, high quality miniatures and release new miniatures all at the same time. You need an established company for that with a decent financial backing.

I really appreciate the backing I have here and I will try my best to ensure that this project really kicks in and brings a bit of happiness into the 6mm range....  I can only try  :)

Thanks again Maksim for those words you have up on the thread

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:26 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Pah! Expensive!! They don't know what they are talking about!! 9 squid for a squiggoth is expensive :;):

Well done on getting this company underway Doug. A couple of years ago a friend and I had similar dreams - we even talked to a sculptor and did some initial designs, but ended up shelving it in the too hard basket. I wish DRM all the best! I've added your logo to my website as a link to DRM:

http://au.geocities.com/markconz/epic.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry "V" ! :D   Doug is the Mann and once I get all the DRM, F/Orks and 6mm Slammers ... I can die happy ! :;):

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Markconz

A too hard basket is really an understatement, I think the only reason I managed to get something this far was because I had some cash that could get me places and progress as a rate that would help out in general.

As much as people talk about the GW scenario and what happened with Epic, I can understand why its hard to see anything that could have even challenged GW Epic with regards to releases and variety.  When you think that normally bigger companies like GW should be ok if the emphasis wasnt so much on high profit margins but its not like that.  
If this actually makes a difference which was one of my aims then I would be very happy indeed, if I manage to complete what I had in mind then I will be jumping for joy many years down the road.

At the end of the day I can understand people's opinions on pricing and its not just about hobbies or DRM.  While I understand it I cannot afford to pay people to buy my miniatures.  I have to work to look after my wife and future family plans, and cannot afford to produce miniatures at prices that will not keep DRM at the standard it has now set itself.  If its is to thrive it should be without my financial help, as much as possible.  At the moment thats not going to happen for some time and I have to make sure that I dont risk everything I have just to cater for the few unhappy people.

I know from past experience that if you get used to something thats good you start to think that it should be better, so even if it was cheaper now it wouldnt be long before it wasnt good enough.  I mean I do it myself so I really cant say much :laugh:  

I will watch for what happens and take the good with the bad.  At any rate through discussions like this its the best way to learn and improve stuff.  Discounts were mentioned and I have that down on my list as something we could sort out for people in general making sure people who have trouble with expensive postage and tax duties like New Zealand, Australia etc should benefit too.  At least thats what I would like to do so I will come back with some ideas at some point and bounce them off this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well thanks very much for putting your money where your mouth is

Best of luck for DRM success! :D

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 13 Mar. 2006 (00:09))
Sorry "V" ! :D ? Doug is the Mann and once I get all the DRM, F/Orks and 6mm Slammers ... I can die happy ! :;):

No worries, as long as you don't die soon L4. happy or otherwise! Your EPicomms needs you! (smiley with officers cap and moustache and pointing finger/Uncle Sam hat and moustache and pointing finger/CS hat and moustache  :80: and pointing finger urgently needed). And I'm still waiting to see pics of a 6mm Slammers' army some day.

Doug, wish I could provide financial backing, but I'm in no position to do so  :( . It's a bold step you've taken, and one which at the very, very  least provides variety of an excellent quality to the 6mm scale, and this will make some people happy. And some of it is really weird and interesting stuff too. Wait 'til they see the mmmmmfff!!!!
:oops:  :80:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wargames are a funny business. Take Niel hes decided to sink in significant cash to opening a factory here in BD for such things. Next up comes the making his own stuff and he reckons its going to be a damn hard slog, if only for the added problems of training indigs here to be sculptors! (Luckily there are a few people leaving art colleges here that leave a couple of months after their course finishes, not immediately, so he has a small window of recruitment!)

Anyway, people do some crazy stuff and this is hardly a profitable business to be in often!

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the profitable bit is what GW itself highlighted in that it charged high prices to cover costs and its profit margin.

The 6mm miniature world is a small place and investment is something that many people would rather not do or would rather someone else do it.  

The DRM profit margin is very slim and that is what I want to use for financing more stuff.

Its amazing that when replying to the TMP thread I realised just how much of a challenge it is.

By the time you take away

Sculpter cost
caster cost
blister design cost
Blister packaging
VAT costs which are included already
Storage costs and someone sending off orders (not myself as I have a day job)

Then when talking about the U.S. side
give back VAT and storage costs from the UK/Europe side

But take back nearly half of the sale price which the distributor / Representative has as a discount which is the norm.

After all that is taken away there isnt much for more development, let alone my own investment returned.  

Still I am enjoying myself and always like a challenge......

I am off to find out if the miniatures have been shipped out to the various places

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

and you've got to pay your so-called "Friends" who are Mercenaries at heart to paint the display models & do a little sideline work... it certainly is an expensive business to get into!  :p :blues:

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't think I'm going to die anytime soon, "V"  :D
Thank you for your enlistment speech !  I'm in for the duration !   I need Epicomms more than it needs me  !   :laugh:  Doug, is making correct decisions and I     believe DRM will do fine  :D  FRoA # 236  You can't buy fate. :o0  :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Tas @ 13 Mar. 2006 (05:19))
Well thanks very much for putting your money where your mouth is

You hit that nail on the head. It takes a lot to invest the time & money that Doug has- I sincerely hope it pays off for him.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The best way we can help is putting OUR money where our mouths are.... :;): :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules