Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aeronautical Terms

Post subject: Aeronautical Terms
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Something I have noticed with the introduction of AeroImp is that a fair number of players are calling their AeroImp forces Fleets or Armies.  This just makes me go grrr....

An Aeronautical force would be made up of
Elements (1 Bomber, 2-4 Fighters)
Flights (2-3 Elements)
Squadron (3-4 Flights)
Flying Group (3-4 Squadrons)
Wing (USAF 4 Groups, 1 is a flying Group)
Numbered Air Force (# of Wings assigned to region of NAF's command)

In M41 a Numbered Air Force equivelant would most likely be a Fleet or Planetary Imperial Navy Command or Planetary Air Defense Command.

So the most often misused term of fleet in relation to a number of aircraft could really be equal to many more Aircraft.  1 Dictator carries 4 Squadrons a mix of Starfury fighters and bombers. That is a Wing on the Dictator.  Now in a very possible Imperial Fleet of an Emperor, Mars, and 2 Dictators you will have 5 Wings (2 on the Emperor) with 4 Squadrons each.  That is a Fleets worth of aircraft.

The biggest term I would use for AeroImp is Wing, Squadron or Flight is more appropriate.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm pretty sure that the use of of the term "fleet" for aircraft goes back to the dawn of military air power and theory. "Fleet" usually referred to a large number of aircraft without specifying an actual number.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The term "fleet" for aircraft now generaly refers to all of a particular type of aircraft in an organization, or all the fleet in an organization.  The USAF Tanker fleet consist of multiple squadrons of various types of Tankers. Spread out across multiple commands.  The British Airways aircraft fleet would be all the aircraft owned by British Airways.  The American Airlines DC/MC-10 fleet is all the aircraft of American Airlines of that type.

So when players discuss fleets of aircraft being used I suppose it is accurate in that it is the fleet of aircraft they own.  However if those aircraft are part of a larger organization such as a composite wing or a particular (space) fleets air wings conducting a joint mission would be called a Package using modern aviation terms.

A force in AeroImp is most similiar to a Package, unless all the aircraft are from the same squadron in which case it is still a Package and maybe a Flight at the same time.

A Package is a selection of aircraft choosen to complete a particular misison.  The size and consistance of a Package varies with the mission and target of the Package.  In conducting a strike mission using largely fighters a Package will most likely have a Sweep, SEAD, and Strike components.  
Using Imperial Navy aircraft this may consist of an Element or Flight of Lightnings, followed by an Element or Flight of Thunderbolts or Strike Lightnings with Hellstrikes to target AA weapons, followed finally by flights of Thunderbolts, Strike Lightings, Marauder Bombers, etc to make the final strike against a target.
Parts of a package may be left out depending on intellegence, threat level, aircraft availablity.
Some packages may be purely focused on Air-to-Air and so will consist largely of Air-to-Air focused aircraft, with some SEAD support.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good point about the civilian usage of the term. However, I can see why it irriatates you when players use it. Kind of like how I find it extremely irritating when the media use the word "troops" to mean one soldier, as in "20,000 more troops are being sent to Iraq."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, you boyz, sound right on all points.   It wouldn't be the first time that G/W's fluff doesn't make sense ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've got orks... I'm going to call it a Skwadron OKs? That's likes a collection of Fightaz and Bombaz flown by lots of mad flyboyz.    They all go DAKKA DAKKA and shootz lotz at the silly 'ummyz. Butz I needz a name for themz.... I thought about the Desert Ratz, but that's already been taken.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ork Err Piratz!

Yes there are of course going to be odd air organizations out there - like the Flying Tigers of WW2 - but the standard forces will be packages.

A mercernary/pirate squadron may look very much like 2 packages all under one commander.  This means that the squadron has everything it needs to do something, without having to coordinate with another unit.

A Wing btw is roughly equivelant to a Regiment with a full Colonel or Brig General at its head.  I am not sure about the RAF.  I would suggest Wikipedia...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:24 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(mageboltrat @ Jan. 12 2007,18:48)
I've got orks... I'm going to call it a Skwadron OKs? That's likes a collection of Fightaz and Bombaz flown by lots of mad flyboyz. ? ?They all go DAKKA DAKKA and shootz lotz at the silly 'ummyz. Butz I needz a name for themz.... I thought about the Desert Ratz, but that's already been taken.

My boyz iz Da Big Max!  :;):

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, My Ork Flyboyz, is Da Fly'n SirKus !   :alien: :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is Da Fly'n Sirkus red?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

da flyin sirkus 'as to be kommanded by der red baron, i bet dem boyz go fast brudder !!

and orangesm, it's good someone else knows what is what with proper names for aircraft orginisation, i was irratated also , but figured people would think i was picking nits. glad you brought it up. :)
(grrr.. i spell like an ork when i'm not even trying, grim very grim indead. )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well all my G/W Ork aircraft are painted steel ! And my Forge World Ork Aircraft are SIB !  May paint those like what I saw in the IA book ! :D  And one may be a dark shade of rust red !!!!  :;):  The "Huns" in WW1 did have a 6 color (IIRC), hex pattern camo for their aircraft ... that would be kind of neat for the Orksez Fly'n SirKus ! :alien:   And yes, I'm routinely annoyed by G/W's inane fluff !  :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My Ace is going to be in a FW fighta and is going to be called Lucky and have a blue plane.. the rest are red so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Legion 4 @ Jan. 13 2007,02:12)
The "Huns" in WW1 did have a 6 color (IIRC), hex pattern camo for their aircraft ... that would be kind of neat for the Orksez Fly'n SirKus ! :alien:

You, sir, are correct. The Flying Circus was known for its multi-colored, hexagonal pattern and only later did a certain baron paint his planes red.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very true... I forgot... being an arm chair historian.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next