Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Rules variants

Post subject: Rules variants
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The joys of a 30 minute (well 40 it is a monday) walk into work every day.  I have time to think, and more often than not it is about hobbies if mine.  Today it was about AI and ideas for rules.  I managed to come up with 2.  One a variant of an existing adnavce rule, the second a new rule to add some more realsim and whatnot to the game.

Idea 1:  Stalling
I love the stalling rule, it makes flying too high or too slow a risky venture.  However I don't like the auto crash rule.  My solution is this:

If a plane stalls and the pilot fails his skill test to regain control of the plane then it spirals out of control.  At the beginning of subsequent turns the pilot may test to regain control of the plane or to eject.

If he passes an ejection test then remove the plane (but the pilot survives as normal.

If he passes a regain control test then the plane may be used as normal this turn though its speed is reduced to the minimum.

If the pilot fails either test then it drops D3+1 altitude bands. (crashing if it reaches the deck)

Idea 2, loft bombing
I remember countless times in flight simluators, lofting bombs in the general direction of the enemy (fearful of their AAA and wishing I had packed some anti radar missiles)

Lofting.  A plane may loft its bomb load at an enemy target if it finsihes it move with the straight low manoeuver.  It must start the manoeuver at altitude 1 or 2 (any higher and the bombs will scatter too much)

If it increases its altitude by 1 band then the weapon becomes X/0/0

If it increases its altitude by 2 bands then the weapon becomes 0/X/0

In addition the attack counts as a mid altitude bombing, and the plane may only fire missiles and weapons that say "down", in their fire arc, against ground targets.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Isn't stalling more dangerous at lower altitudes then when you are higher.  You could have some sort of role that factors hight into it ie if you failed said skill test roll d6 and move down that many hight levels make another skill check and so on until you regain control or crash thus if you were at level 9 you would have less chance of hitting the deck whereas at low levels its a do or die test.

Points wise this would increase the value of highly skilled pilots.

Epic- A version of the game with even smaller models that is often dominated by titans which are vehicles the size of a large building and have the ability to pwn...everything. There is also infantry, whose only function in Epic is to provide valuable traction to Titans walking across snowy paths.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes stalling is much worse at lower altitudes.  If you stall at higher altitudes then you have plenty of time to recover.  Also it is a fighter tactic to climb to your peak altitude and stall, which rolls you over to get behind someone or to stall a little bit to slow the aircraft down and let person trailing you blow by.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]