Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Missiles

Post subject: Missiles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:01 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Does anyone have any background or reference on how air-to-air missiles work in the 40K universe? Are they 'point and release', guided/fly by wire or seekers?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

they are metioned in 'Double Eagle' they seem to be on a similar level to our missles at the moment, so would be Auspex guided and semi self aware.....

so fire and forget would seem to be apt...

skitari: built
Eldar: in boxes
Orks: built, gargants painted
Ultra marines: 5 companies
Thousand sones: 5 companies (unpainted)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And don't forget Grot-guided stuff - what works for bombs would work for a missile!
And a nice Chaos upgrade would be a daemonic missile :devil:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it varies

Imperials probably have a wide range of types each being of various techincal complexity.

Missiles also must be expensive.  Tau do not have missiles standard (in 40k) on their Aircraft, but can equip them.

I would suspect the average missile is roughly 1970s technology, with some being more advanced.  It also seems that the Missiles may have a more limited range than modern missiles, which have 20+ mile range depending on aircraft radar.  This may actually be where the problem of using missiles widely actually arises.

Assuming every aircraft has a fairly powerful auspex (radar), it may also be assumed that at some point in history stealth became prevelant and so locating targets became important.  If even the simple Thunderbolt has a 'relatively' low Auspex signinature beyond visual range (range at which Mk 1 eye-ball can spot a target), a missiles auspex may not be able to lock on to the target beyond visual range.  
The modern equivlant would be two F-22s trying to engage each other with missiles.  Both have the most advanced radar systems on aircraft today, yet could not lock on their very advanced AIM-9X missiles on to each other, so the pilot with the upper hand would be the first to locate the other visually - hello WW2 style dogfights with advanced modern aircraft.

Fire and Forget would be unlikely for a large variety of the races.  Imperials would want to avoid Friendly Fire from mis-locks by green pilots.  Eldar and Tau may be doing the same as Imperials or have concerns over engaging potential allies against a common foe (Imperials zooming to intercept Orks, while a stealth flight of Eldar wait to clean up the mess shoudl the Imperials fail).  Chaos would have a wide variety of philosphies.  Khrone wants it to be close and personal,  Nurgle's equipement would be bloated and misfunctioning, Tzeentch  would Auspex may be varid and changing,  Slanessh... pleasure of the seeing your enemy. Orks - rockets - fire lots and forget lots to maybe hit target.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that they imperium would also mistrust missiles to an extent.  Since their ability to follow a target without a humans help  is close to AI techno heresy.

On the note of daemonically guided missiles.  I remember (I think it was the BL book eye of terror) in which a nuke had a daemon bound in it, making it a massive shaped charge!

Also their are hinted sources that binded daemons in one use weapons (bullets/missiles) is too expensive in terms of sacrifices and time.  Though some warbands would have them as ultimate weapons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you want the game to be Vietnam style or World War 2/Korean era air battles?  Make missiles to good and you will end up with very little manuevering and Air Battles more like Desert Storm and Kosovo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(ragnarok @ Jan. 07 2007,16:09)
I remember (I think it was the BL book eye of terror) in which a nuke had a daemon bound in it, making it a massive shaped charge!

Reminds me of Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East where the technology of nuclear weapons actually created demons.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(orangesm @ Jan. 10 2007,15:15)
Do you want the game to be Vietnam style or World War 2/Korean era air battles? ?Make missiles to good and you will end up with very little manuevering and Air Battles more like Desert Storm and Kosovo.

I would prefer it to be a "vietnam era" game.  With the missiles having a major range advantage over other weapons (ie guns and rockets), but not hitting that well.

So you can fire off a volley on the way in hoping to do some damage to the enemy before you close to a knife fight.

At the moment they are just lascannons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I would just like them to actually feel like missiles. I was just thinking about them having a very low maneuvrability (I can never spell that!), no real movement aside from a gradual turn to the target, and a high speed - and they keep going until they exit the table (meaning that aircraft can head towards the table edge and bank sharply to lose them, but it will be distracting. I will need to think about it some more.

However, I do agree that they should not be too complicated or powerful. Let me put it this way, the Grot bomb should be better.  :p

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]