Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aeronautica Imperialis

Post subject: Aeronautica Imperialis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

THawk Transporters... That's an interesting item to make in Epic scale. it's like a half-sized Landing  Craft. Or just an over-sized Thunderhawk... I'm not sure why you'd take one over a Landing Craft unless it was cheap enough to make it a better choice then a Thunderhawk... Could just be I'm too uncreative to realize the potential!  :laugh:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (dafrca @ 25 June 2006 (14:58))
Quote (primarch @ 25 June 2006 (11:10))
You sadly speak the truth.... ?:(

Yep the truth when spoken about GW is often sad these days. ?:down:

But look at the bright side, it opens the door of opportunity for people like Doug and Company.

There is Silver if you want to see it. ?:laugh:

dafrca

Hi!

Nowadays I'll settle for bronze....  :;):

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I for one wish FW good luck!

Air games are notoriously difficult to create, and the EPIC arena is no exception. The usual trade-off between scale and detail is further exacerbated by the nature of aerial combat, which therefore usually moves the game towards "skirmish" or "dogfight" style of combat, and away from the intention of E:A which is towards larger scale engagements. Furthermore, trying to provide an acceptable backdrop or reason for the combat (other than some form of scenario) together with appropriate objectives is almost impossible.

Combine these factors with the nature of the average EPIC gamer, who has had to be very resiliant to want to continue playing at all, and hence almost obsessive in his views about what he expects, and I suspect that it becomes virtually impossible to generate a set of rules that will please more than a small portion of the current adherents; and this is before you consider anything to do with miniatures or how they are based.

For what it is worth, I am still mulling over some mechanisms that can be used stand alone or combined within the EA framework, and which can be used in an abstract form (along the lines of the current E:A Aerospace rules), or more detailed version which are thus slightly longer to play. However, work and family life, together with the difficulties listed make progress slow, so as I said before, if FW can produce something that is simple, clearly written, playable and which interests more that 50% of the current EPIC players, then by all means "bring it on" to quote a popular phrase.

Ginger

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a bit confused as to how they can possibly differentiate everything sufficiently.  Aren't Imperial and Chaos aircraft going to be almost exactly the same?  Aren't the Tau supposed to be pretty much exactly on par with them, with slightly better craft making up for less experienced pilots?  Do the Necrons even have aircraft?  Wouldn't the Eldar and Dark Eldar aircraft need to be outnumbered 4 to 1 in order to have anything like a fair fight, and wouldn't the two of them use almost identical designs?

It seems to me that you might as well just have three sides - Orks, Tau/Imperials/Chaos, and Eldar/Dark Eldar, just using names and models appropriate to the actual faction you're playing.  The problem would only get worse as the scale of the game increases.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ragnarok ... I have UM, BA, DA, SW and Sallies SM Rgts and number of Traitor Bns ... so I'll refrain from throwing any of my troops away !  But thank you for the "tactical" advise ...   :p  :laugh:  :;):  And Gotchaye, Imperial and Traitor may be about the same but Chaos are quite different, look at the F/W catalogue ... As I said, I have all the Epic aircraft that F/W makes !  :;):

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But various aircraft are fitted differently.

For example the best Air to Air aircraft would probably be Eldar Nightwings, the Chaos Hellblades and Imperial Lightings, being fast and agile and having enough firepower to take out an aircraft.

The Imperial Thunderbolts, Tau Barracudas and Ork Fighta Bommas are a good general fighters, capable of hitting ground targets and taking a few more hits than a Lighting, but they are slower and not as manuverable.

Chaos Hell Talons, Tau Tigersharks, and Ork Bommas are good close support aircraft and heavier aircraft capable of taking a few hits.

On the farthest end is stuff like the Marauder capable of delievering lots of damage to ground troops, but very slow, heavily armed, not very manuverable.

So the class of aircraft would be what they are in Epic: Fighter, Fighter/Bomber, and Bomber.

Fighters probably have 1-2 DC, a high manuverablity / speed, a few powerful weapons (max of 3 pairs).

Fighter/Bombers probably have 2-4 DC, a medium manuverabilty / speed, and more weapons (max of 3 pairs with the capacity to carry a fair number of bombs)

Bombers probably have 4-8 DC, a low manuverabilty / speed, and a ton of weapons (max of 5 pairs with a capacity to carry a large number of bombs)

Those are rough ranges and ideas for aircraft.

I also do not see this game being a tournament game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All good points ... I'm guessing there will be 4-12 aircraft per side. But not really compatible with E:A, more like an adjunct to it !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There may be a way of integrating the two, like a mini game/turn in between standard turns.  For example at the end or beginning of each turn play an Aerospace Round, they have to act first.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, that's the way I see ... but we don't play CAP in our Epic games, only CAS & ADA/AAA ... But it'd be a good thing for Epic in  general to intergrate the two ! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I will look forward to your guys photos of games and the painted miniatures. :cool:

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3