Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Tactica aeronautica

Post subject: Tactica aeronautica
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I brought TA at gamesday on sunday, after talking to Warrick Kinrade about it (and having to queue twice since I didn't know it was out when I brought my chaos air armarda.

It is a very nice book with 8 new datasheets
Marauder vigilant (recon variant that gives bonuses in certain sernarios)
Marauder Colossus (astripped down marauder with a single MOAB glide bomb)
Remora drone fighters
Tau drone airial mines
Tau AX-2-2
Chaos Harbinger
Ork bomma
and Ork blasta bomma

It also has serval variant aircraft
Vulture (another 12 weapon loads!)
Valkyrie
aquila
Tau Tigerskark with seeker missiles
Manta with remoras instead of an insanely large troop capacity
two new types of pheonix
and a new type of vampire raider.

The squadron list is now a staggering three pages long (rather than just one page), because you can now buyace and double ace pilot skills for your planes (so your wing commanders can be skillful.

However the best bit for me are the upgrades you can buy for the aircraft.

Not all aircraft can have all the upgrades available to that race (for example hellblades can't take blight bombs since they aren't bombers) and each aircraft can only take upto 2.

The imperials ?have a choice of 5
Orks have 4 (including a kustom shoota that slows the plane when it is fired!)
Tau get 6 including some really nasty ones
Eldar get3, but being Eldar they are all beardy! (one has a rule section larger than the entire chaos upgrade section)
Chaos also get three, but since one is a nurgle one (blight bombs) I'll never use it.

The addition of all these variables makes buying an air wing much more fun, since you can pimp up each craft.

for example a Harbinger costs 64pts basic. ?With additional weapons, a double ace and the two most useful upgrades it is pushed to 122pts!

The book also has a very nice campaign in it, between Tau and the Imperium (well they did get the most new stuff). ?Set on an Ocean bound world so the entire war was an airwar. ?It was an enjoyable read, kinda pricdicable from the opening section but still a good read.

Tactica also includes a new and much better campaing system.

Each turn you (re)deploy your ground defenses to a selection of strategic locations. ?Then the side who is the agressor (who is winning at the time) decides to attack a selection of targets. ?you roll to see if the package gets though or gets bouced (ie if you play a bommbing raid or ambush.

You then decide the size of the mission (small, medium or large), though there are some restrictions, for example the end game missons are always large as are air raids against certain major targets.

Overall I think the campaign is alot better and means there is less work for me to make a map based campaign.

The final two sections are a sernario selection with three new sernarios, one being a tournament sernario and a guide to making ground installations, using a build point system.

For example a large system has to spend between 17 and 24 points on buildings and can have upto two assigned base defenses. ?Build points are spend buying building, (for example a hardened small building has thre hit points instead of one) ?making them stronger, landing pads and random vehicles and structures.

Finally the Chaos air fleet I brought

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Insane purchase, but beautiful.  How were the typos?  Egregious amounts as normal or did they clean up their editing?

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Moscovian @ Sep. 24 2007,19:16)
Insane purchase, but beautiful. ?How were the typos? ?Egregious amounts as normal or did they clean up their editing?

Totally insane.  The guy at the forgeworld stand look shocked when I asked for 3 Harbingers.  But I need at least two for a decent air raid and I am planning on converting one into an air carrier.

As for Typos.  I'm lucky and have dyslexia, so I never notice the typos, it will still be better thananyting I can write

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:53 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I must admit that I am sceptical about TA. It seems a high cost at twenty six pounds for eight more aircraft stats. But... I am more than curious about the new Tau aircraft...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow ! That's a lot of birds !  I don't play AI, but added all the new models to my Epic Forces ... :;):

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It also hasd a battle report between Tau and Imperial navy from the Taros campaign.  The Tau are attacking an IG forward supply dump.

CS what do you want to know about the new fish head stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

CS what do you want to know about the new fish head stuff?

Everything!  :D

More for curiosity really, since I doubt that either will make it into the EA Tau list. I will most likely end up picking up the book, but probably with 'spare' cash after Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well the Remora Drone fighters are similar in cost and ability to Hell talons, though I think they will come out on top in a stand up fight (though I would back a TIE fighter going against wing of hell talons any day)

1 hit point and very manoeurvable.  Armed with a brurst cannon that works at short and medium range and a pair of seeker missiles they can be truely nasty.  Added to the fact that you always haveto use night fight rules against them, the enemy has to close to the remoras optimum range.

the nifty thing about them is that if their control aircraft (either an AX-2-2 or manta) is destroyed then they go down to manoeuvre low.

AX-2-2 can carry a pair of them (at 12pts a shot) and the manta variant carries 8 at no extra cost, though it can only launch two a turn.

The AX-2-2 is just a tiger shark that has a pair of remoras instead of normal drones (and some control software to keep them working.  It also allowsyou to reroll your initiative dice (but only if you are male :D )

The tigershark variant has 6 seeker missiles instead of drones.

I've already covered the manta variant.

Finally we have the drone mine field.  This is a group of 6 mines, all placed within 6" of the intial one (so you can't string them out) at the same altitude.  They can attack enemy that get with 3" of them and canattack one altitude above or below, but are removed as soon as they attack (kinda reasonable since they do blow up).

They have no trust, but can be raised or lowered by one level each turn, as a mine field.                                                                                                                                                      
Upgrade wise they have
Black sun filters - ignore nioght fight rules

Disruption pods - 6+ save from all AAA

Decoy launcher - one use only 5+ save against missiles and rokets

Escape pod- 2+ bail out roll

Target lock - on a 4+ one weapon system on the aircraft will hit the locked ground target on a 4+ instead of a 5+. (one for the AX-1-0)

Advanced stabilisation system - only for low manoeuvability planes, they can now use card 5.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:40 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Very interesting. Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]