Brood Brother

Look forward to those !! :D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Guild prefects
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

jimmyzimms wrote:
Yeah these things have been on my radar since I first saw them. Cant wait to paint up a batch once I'm through the current queue. Do we have an Adeptus Arbites list btw?

I think it's been suggested before. The consensus (and one I agree with) was that if the Arbites are involved in company-level engagements, they're already dead.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

Post subject: Guild prefects
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the sound of those new prefects!

I agree about an adeptus arbites army. If I had to field them it would be as a small detachment supporting an inquisitor in a sisters or grey knight army.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I see the Prefect (or Arbites) as National Police, like "Gendarmerie" ... along with being deployed in Security or Police Bns that the Germans used in WWII ... And could be attached to combat units as required ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've never quite understood the concept of separate national and local police or armed police as a paramilitary force. The police and armed forces are so very separate in this country and take such pride in not being soldiers. I know that is not always the case on the continent. As a result I'm not sure quite what role these organisations do, especially in civil defence. My concept of the adeptus arbites is similarly a little hazy. Local police who become an army if none other is available...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
The police and armed forces are so very separate in this country and take such pride in not being soldiers.

William Adama said it best:
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

Quote:
My concept of the adeptus arbites is similarly a little hazy. Local police who become an army if none other is available

Pretty much. 99.99% of the time they're just local police, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:
Yeah these things have been on my radar since I first saw them. Cant wait to paint up a batch once I'm through the current queue. Do we have an Adeptus Arbites list btw?

I think it's been suggested before. The consensus (and one I agree with) was that if the Arbites are involved in company-level engagements, they're already dead.

And by list I mean unit stats not an army force and by on my radar I mean being completely delusional :)
More interested in scenario play (e.g. evac the civilians) and just an excuse to actually purchase and paint these!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matus wrote:
I've never quite understood the concept of separate national and local police or armed police as a paramilitary force. The police and armed forces are so very separate in this country and take such pride in not being soldiers. I know that is not always the case on the continent. As a result I'm not sure quite what role these organisations do, especially in civil defence. My concept of the adeptus arbites is similarly a little hazy. Local police who become an army if none other is available...

Yes, in the US, the military and local police are very much separate, though many policemen are veterans of the military. Gendarmerie are a national police force, the closest the US has to that is probably the US Marshals(?). With the current world situation, many local, city, and maybe even state have SWAT type units. And even regular police can be or are more heavily armed with M-16s, body armor and even an armored car or two ... I see the big difference is national/federal vs. state and local ... In most cases your average cop in the US is writing traffic citations for parking in the wrong place, speeding, etc. ... But in the world of the future ... it may be very different ... worldwide ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Its also a power balance. In the UK, the army responds to the monarchy, the police to the government. It stops one side overthrowing the other without a fight. I would imagine the same general divide happening in 40K with worlds/Imperium.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All this discussion of police army balance makes me think if Terry Pratchett's guards novels.