Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Elysian Air Units

Post subject: Elysian Air Units
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tactica - don't get it, you just posted a load of stuff to support my point :)
If you are returning to base and what not why can't you re-arm? As a result why one shot? Not to mention one shot is disproportionally good for aircraft as it is harder to stop them using it!

General Plumer, 191x

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Before we go down this road to a great extent the one thing that has to be watched in addressing experimental aircraft stats is effectiveness.   If you make aircraft too strong its going to raise a lot of eyebrows.  That can be helped with price increases as Honda initially did, but this is something to watch.  I wouldn?t put aircraft stats down for an Imperial craft that were better than an elder craft for example (much less a thunderhawk).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (The_Real_Chris @ 22 Mar. 2006 (20:59))

@TRC,

Tactica - don't get it, you just posted a load of stuff to support my point

Hmm...

Tactica scratches head

I must have misunderstood your original point then. Sounds like we agree - one shot is not necessary on aircraft, unless...

1) desired.for some reason

2) using a weapon name that has predefined stats in pursuant to one shot restriction

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (jfrazell @ 23 Mar. 2006 (06:51))
Before we go down this road to a great extent the one thing that has to be watched in addressing experimental aircraft stats is effectiveness. ? If you make aircraft too strong its going to raise a lot of eyebrows. ?That can be helped with price increases as Honda initially did, but this is something to watch. ?I wouldn?t put aircraft stats down for an Imperial craft that were better than an elder craft for example (much less a thunderhawk).

Good point,

General vision and effectiveness in the E:A world should be observed.

So taking my suggested starting points, how would you revise further in lieu of Eldar/Tau/Established IG concerns?

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First off, I am soaking in all the previous posts and I'm not going to address them at this time. I need to have a few questions answered (not from you guys) so if you don't see me answering the specific points that CS&T have brought up, it's not because I am ignoring them. I am thinking on them.

So a question I have is:

Should there be an assumption that to hit rolls for the various races align around:

Eldar - AA4+
Tau - AA5+, but lots of those shots
IN & Ork - AA5+ or AA6+ in limited amounts?

What I am trying to get back to is the point that John brought up, which is the new aircraft should not be as good as Eldar.

Thoughts?

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Check out the general airpower thread, a lot of it is in there.
In general though Eldar are the top. They have 2x30cm AA5+ shots (1 with lance so by by thunderhawks) and a 4+ save (no need to jink).
Imperium is next with 6+ save, 1x30cm 5+ shot and 1x15cm 5+ shot.
Orks are last with 6+ save, variable squadron size and 1x15cm 5+ shot 360 degrees.

What defines the power level of an aircraft is its save (how tough and manoverable, plus extra DC for a big jump in mission survivability), its to hit values (how many shots on target it can generate), its range (outranging enemy flak on the target aircraft and ability to fire outside of the enemies ground flak envolope), fire arc (affecting approach and exit moves and general defense) and squadron size (the larger the less flak you take with the same number of planes, important for lightly armoured craft and bomber interceptors).

The barracuda for instance is inbetween the Imerpials and eldar in air intercepts with a 6+ save, 15cm 6+, 30cm 6+, 30cm 5+ shots.

Oh, gotta go.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Honda @ 23 Mar. 2006 (20:13))
First off, I am soaking in all the previous posts and I'm not going to address them at this time. I need to have a few questions answered (not from you guys) so if you don't see me answering the specific points that CS&T have brought up, it's not because I am ignoring them. I am thinking on them.

So a question I have is:

Should there be an assumption that to hit rolls for the various races align around:

Eldar - AA4+
Tau - AA5+, but lots of those shots
IN & Ork - AA5+ or AA6+ in limited amounts?

What I am trying to get back to is the point that John brought up, which is the new aircraft should not be as good as Eldar.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind, this can be addressed in point efficiency and availability.

Also please keep in mind,
Imperium is known to have more weapons than Eldar
Imperium is known to be slightly less accurate than Eldar

I still say - design the units first by vision and established weapons. IA3 gives us a guidance I've already refined.

Next, assign points.

I fully expect these planes to cost more than the Cypra Mundi patterns.

I think you look at weapon systems for stat derivatives. Looking at who has what AA is not the direction I would start with.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Keep in mind, this can be addressed in point efficiency and availability.

Also please keep in mind,
Imperium is known to have more weapons than Eldar
Imperium is known to be slightly less accurate than Eldar

I still say - design the units first by vision and established weapons. IA3 gives us a guidance I've already refined.

Next, assign points.

I fully expect these planes to cost more than the Cypra Mundi patterns.

I think you look at weapon systems for stat derivatives. Looking at who has what AA is not the direction I would start with.

Tac, I'm not disagreeing with anything that you are saying. I'm asking my questions for a reason and the reason isn't because I'm wishy-washy.

Points we need to keep in mind as we are developing the aircraft:

1. Whether we like it or not, there is a perception by a fair number of people in the community on how the aircraft for each race "should" behave. I say "should" because of the guidelines that are in effect for some of the earlier lists and those who don't want an escalation in the air realm. There were strong opinions about that in the Tau Tigershark discussion as we are both aware.

So, I asked my previous question because I wanted to get an understanding for what the basic perception is.

That does not mean that we are going to serve up neutered aircraft in this list. It does mean though, that if we offer up something that runs contrary to expectations, then we have to justify why we did that.

As a contrast, there is a fair amount of discussion going on about the Eldar and some of their special abilities. When Eldar players and list developers are challenged as to why things are the way they are, their arguments aren't necessarily convincing those that challenge.

This list will need to present convincing arguments as to why we take the approach we take. I'm Ok with the fact that some people may not like the approach we take. I'm not trying to run a popularity contest or run for Student Body President. I have a list that needs to get out. So, we just have to ensure that what we are doing is for the right reasons (i.e. add cool things that don't break the list) and that our results stand in the face of valid testing.

So, if we are going to propose aircraft values that seem to break from the expected norm, then there has to be a "compelling" reason why you would do that.

Our current list of reasons goes like this:

a) No ground based AA
b) No Super Heavy Tanks
c) No Armored Vehicles except the Vultures/Valkyries
d) Only artillery is one shot, except for the mortars which are 2 BP (and you only get one of those units)
e) No Titan/War Engine support

So those reasons, at least in my mind, are fairly strong reasons why we might be able to justify aircraft that deviate from the expected norm.

We might also add that the core army formation is nearly pathetic except in the areas of mobility and a reasonable CC/FF value. No armor means that if they don't:

a) Strike first to deflate an impending attack
b) Take advantage of terrain
c) Coordinate their assault with other units
d) All of the above

...then they are in serious trouble. This will be a finesse list, you will have to give up a lot (see above list), to get the goodies it brings.

ANY aircraft that we propose, may not unbalance the list, that is a given, but we won't really know that until we add aircraft, get past the initial pre-game willies, then find out how they behave over a series of games.

2. This is a new list. I expect it to be challenged and it should be. That is how the community can keep the environment "safe and clean" for general play. The approach we take has to be solid, hence the continual referral back to IA3 whenever there is a question or a need for a guideline. I think how the Support Sentinel questions were resolved is an excellent process model for how we address our isses.

3. IA3's author states in the beginning of the Epic Air appendix that the aircraft values are gross and that he didn't point them for that exact reason. So grabbing those stats, knowing as we do that they are unbalanced and just plugging them in "as is" isn't acceptable. So, how much do we want to "tweak" them to make them acceptable, yet still fun and different to use? That will be determined in testing.

4. I am still ruminating on the "suite" of aircraft, but things that I am now comfortable with:

a) Lighting formations will be either 2 or 3 aircraft
b) The Marauder Destroyer will be the heavy attack weapons system that allows us to engage heavier weapon systems. At least initially, I will put these in formations of 1 and they won't be cheap
c) I am Ok with putting "Hellstrike-like" missiles on aircraft that can be used each turn (per Tac and TRC's points, i.e. rearming)
d) I am still not of a mind to add a different "pattern" of Thunderbolt to the list at this point

So a bit long winded, but an update none the less.

My goal is to give this thought for another day or so, then put something down, have us beat on it for a little bit, then commit to the 2.1.x version so we can test.

I would like to be able to have that all done by Friday of next week so that we could line up games for next Saturday and start testing.

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Something to remember is I can make a perfectly balanced air superiority fighter with better stats than the eldar. No game breaking effects, accurately pointed.

In would in fact have only one problem - it would be better than the Eldar which goes against the background.

The easist way to boost interceptor power incidentally is to boost the squadron size as it reduces incoming fire and bumps the value of CAPs. 4 interceptors at 300 points are strangely enough better than 300 points of 2 squadrons of two interceptors. I think this is the only part of the game where this is so.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have you all seen the new F/W NL ?  The new book, talks about a Det. D-99 ... Elysians, IIRC ?  And shows a page with Valks/Vults on a TO&E ... check it out ... IIRC ... it may be of some use to you Ely-philes ! :;):

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@TRC

Something to remember is I can make a perfectly balanced air superiority fighter with better stats than the eldar. No game breaking effects, accurately pointed.

In would in fact have only one problem - it would be better than the Eldar which goes against the background.

I don't think anything I posted in my previous note contradicted or goes against what you are stating. It is not my intent to develop super aircraft. That is why I want to have an understanding of the general frame of reference for how each airforce is expected to behave.

However, that also doesn't mean that we're going to serve up cookie cutter airplanes.

The easist way to boost interceptor power incidentally is to boost the squadron size as it reduces incoming fire and bumps the value of CAPs. 4 interceptors at 300 points are strangely enough better than 300 points of 2 squadrons of two interceptors. I think this is the only part of the game where this is so.

Fair point and something I will keep in mind.

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Honda @ 25 Mar. 2006 (06:10))
Tac, I'm not disagreeing with anything that you are saying. I'm asking my questions for a reason and the reason isn't because I'm wishy-washy.

@honda,

Understood. I appoligize if I implied/stated the contrary.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@honda,

Understood. I appoligize if I implied/stated the contrary.

Cheers,

You didn't imply anything, but I also wanted to state why I was doing what I was doing.

It's going to be extremely critical that we nail down the aircraft so that:

a) The Elysians can be somewhat competitive against all lists
b) The Elysians don't become some grossly unbalanced list

It would be easy to end at B, somewhat easier to not be competitive at all, and will require effort to get to the magical A. But we can do it. We have enough sharp minds participating that we can get to that first cut where all the units are included and we have something quite playable.

My preference is if we are going to "guess", then to start out with a "weakened" list vs. a over-strength list. It's a lot easier to ratchet up vs. down.

:/

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a quick update:

I'm a little behind on formalizing the issues around the aircraft, though I have been working on them as well as gaining some higher level counsel.

So, looking at the next few days and all the stuff going on, it will be more realistic to expect my first throw down by Monday (4/3).

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Honda @ 27 Mar. 2006 (12:37))

It's going to be extremely critical that we nail down the aircraft so that:

a) The Elysians can be somewhat competitive against all lists
b) The Elysians don't become some grossly unbalanced list

My preference is if we are going to "guess", then to start out with a "weakened" list vs. a over-strength list. It's a lot easier to ratchet up vs. down.

:/

@Honda,

Well stated here. Count me in.

I'd like to see your first stab at the craft in the list then, and we can go from there.

I'll await your updates for a baseline vision and go from there.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next