Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Death Korps of Krieg discussion

Post subject: Re: Death Korps of Krieg discussion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry, what? I've pulled up my pdfs for the Siege supplement and the current 2013 tournament pack and the Krieg Medusa platform has got the two fire modes in both.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Death Korps of Krieg discussion
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks like the indirect option is missing from the 2014 army list compendium then - admittedly it was possibly an old extract from the siege supplement that I found from an old thread. Basically it looks like an error in the army list compendium I'd say. Wouldn't mind a link to the siege supplement if you have one - or you could email me. That makes Medusa platforms a lot more tempting - always seemed a bit over priced!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't trust the Compendium much, lots of errors in that thing.

See here for a link to download the Raiders and Siege supplements - check them both out, there's lot of cool stuff in them - http://www.net-armageddon.org/page/fan-supplements

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:25 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

A Medusa really should not be able to shot 120cm.
It can only shoot 36" in 40K.

The weapon should not be capable of firing from deployment zone to deployment zone.

I'm fine with the 2 fire modes:
It should be 30cm MW4+
or
30cm 1BP, Disrupt, Ignore Cover, Indirect Fire

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have the FW Vraks books with the stats and In 40k a DK Medusa Platform is modified and set up in a different way and has a second firing mode that the vehicle mounted Medusa lacks. It fires a barrage out to a maximum range of 120" (half that of a Basilisk with 240"). Therefore 60cm range doubled to 120cm when indirect firing on sustained fire is appropriate.

It's a good unit, but balanced and costed appropriately. I've used it in several games and it's been fine. A formation of 3 Basilisk Platforms costs 200 points in the DK list and these are 75 points on top and able to hit a lot of the table on a sustain, but not all of it like Basilisks can.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the possilbility of barrage to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Could the barrage lose MW? Would that be better? Not sure with a low SR army.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Rug wrote:
In the interest of simplifying units, creating continuity across lists, preventing cross over with bombards, and giving them a niche I am minded to remove the 2nd fire option for the Medusa (the barrage one) and reduce their cost.

Thoughts?

Definitely a fan of this.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
I've played Krieg quite a lot, including several tournaments, and have a large army so would be happy to participate in changes and playtesting.

For the record, since the rule about war engines not being able to barge or move over their own units was clarified/amended they've been a harder army to win with. Still a good army, but it definitely made them harder to use and deploy. I will confess to some natural bias since noone wants their prize army to be whooped with the nerfbat too hard, but since that change I'd say I find it easier to win a game with my Biel-Tan, Tau and certainly with the Minervans.

They probably do need some changes, but I'd suggest picking the major one and trying that rather than too large a list at once. As far as I can tell, it comes down to the Gorgons, and that would be the key place to start. The risk is that the list can't function without them; the Core is only massive infantry formations or the fairly poor Deathriders (half the attacks of rough riders), and the infantry are unarmed and unarmoured (1 stubber per 20 stands) so really had better be able to do something in assault other than die thematically. The usual Krieg lists I run and have seen spend about 1,375 out of 3,000 points on these through simple lack of choice, and it is my genuine opinion that if this formation is made too bad/expensive, the army would get shelved from a competitive point of view.

The main reason for complaint seems to be 26 dice being rolled and up to the first 6 hits being taken on RA in absolutely ideal circumstances. That leads me to believe that apart from a price bump and a possible worse crit, the main complaint might be dealt with by making the formation 10 infantry in 1 Gorgon.

It's a suggestion that would require playtesting, but could be the most direct response to the bucket-of-dice issue.

Quote:
To me they seem like a sub par choice. At 350 point I'm always going to try to rearrange my list to take 2 super heavies instead.

That's correct; a couple years ago I did an excel spreadsheet to compare the various tanks vs a huge range of targets, and after that didn't bother with macharius tanks. I can dig that out if you like.

Does this mean you will play with all these changes at Cancon, Matt...? I notice you're still going to use this list ;) :D

Redgeran wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't gorgons only 2DC at one point? Baneblades weigh 300 tons in fluff = 3DC. Macharius weight almost 200 tons (gorgons just a little bit more than 200)= 2DC. Same armor for all 3 (about 200mm). Makes sense to me.

Less DC gorgons=less durable, less FF/CC dice in assault=less durable/powerful infantry co. And hopefully no change in price required as a result.

I was going to ask about this exact thing, given it's an open top vehicle. Historically, open topped means easier to destroy in assaults (grenades lobbed, arty/mortar rounds dropping etc). Isn't there an open-topped rule floating around somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

counterpoint to the above argument about the gorgon's weight, it isn't carrying all the extra ammo and heavy ordinance weapon systems that a superheavy tank is, this would probably make it more difficult to destroy as you're less likely to hit the magazine or nuclear reactor or whatever.... DC3 is fine for them in the game role they are intended for.... game balance trumps fluff in this case IMO :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
I've played Krieg quite a lot, including several tournaments, and have a large army so would be happy to participate in changes and playtesting.

For the record, since the rule about war engines not being able to barge or move over their own units was clarified/amended they've been a harder army to win with. Still a good army, but it definitely made them harder to use and deploy. I will confess to some natural bias since noone wants their prize army to be whooped with the nerfbat too hard, but since that change I'd say I find it easier to win a game with my Biel-Tan, Tau and certainly with the Minervans.

Does this mean you will play with all these changes at Cancon, Matt...? I notice you're still going to use this list ;) :D

It's impossible to do use all the changes, particularly ones like smaller infantry formations at a lower price since they're not available in a legal list. As I posted on WargamerAU, I will be using some, the most important being these three:

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
The biggest change is the gorgon nerf, where war engines became unable to move to the front of formations through their own infantry. That has a major impact on how well the formation repels assaults because it has become far more likely that a larger amount of unarmoured infantry will be removed as casualties, and since it is now in the FAQ is mandatory.

For anyone interested, it became:
"Q: Can War Engines barge friendly units out of the way in a Charge Move/Counter Charge?
A: No. The war engine has to move according to the movement rules. If it cannot completely cross the friendly unit for any reason, it is prevented from taking the move."

The suggested removal of gorgons the from scout Grenadiers formation wasn't actually approved yet but is factored in; no gorgons can scout deploy forward in the list I'll take.
The very recent (last week) removal of barrage from the Medusa is factored in to the list.

In case you're interested, I also have some ideas I think could help make the Krieg more fun for opponents while keeping it thematic and without making it overly difficult to use, and hope to post them with some battle reports to back the ideas up in a few weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6