Login |  Register |  FAQ

Mossinians: What's the go?

Post subject: Mossinians: What's the go?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, the Mossinian Rebels list, as found in the siege book
whats happened with them? they seem to have just disappeared from view (I mean, I know they're in the book, so I didn't just imagine them, but there's bugger-all mention of them on the forums here)

What's their status, in the Approved/Developmental/Experimental spectrum?
I have an urge to make siegeworks, and they seem thematically more appropriate than the other siege options for what I have in mind, is there any point in building such an army?

Post subject: Re: Mossinians: What's the go?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As they're locked into the Siege book I imagine they're finished, essentially. Up to you to play them. ;)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They're a weird army, I'm trying to figure out how they fit, and how balanced they are.
compared to the Baran, they're quite similar in most respects.

Baran Infantry companies are 25 points cheaper, and every stand comes with a heavy stubber, while Mossinians get one every 2
Mossinians get Ogryns, Baran do not
Mossinian Rough Riders are markedly better than Baran ones (Baran get an extra normal attack as well as the first strike, and arent mounted, though that seems an error, while Mossinians lose the extra attack but get Scout and Infiltrator) but Mossinian Roughriders are an upgrade, not a seperate formation, Mossinians are also 25 points cheaper
Mossinians get Heavy Mortars, Baran get Griffons, which are significantly better, but cannot garrisson
Mossinians get 3 Firestrike Missiles instead of 2 Deathstrike Missiles (In many ways, Firestrikes seem better, lower potential total damage, lower average damage, higher minimum damage, better spread of shots vs low DC targets, and the whole 10cm move garrisson thing)
Mossinian AA is slightly better than Baran AA (ap5+ vs AP6+) but costs 25 points more
Mossinian Siegfried tanks are significantly worse than Baran ones (Mossinians get autocannons, so 45cm range, while Baran get multilasers, so 30cm range, but also get scout)
Mossinian Hellhounds are weird. they're 3+ armour instead of 4+, lose the heavy bolter, and 15cm speed instead of 30cm. Overall, they seem worse, but the ability to garrisson is not nothing.
Mossinian Bombards are 5+ armour but 6+ ff, while Baran are reversed, and come with a heavy bolter
Mossinians get a Stormhammer instead of Baneblades and Shadowswords
Mossinians get cheaper but less good aircraft, while Baran get the usual ones. Mossinian aircraft are pretty solidly worse than the normal ones for their points, but they do have the option to take buttloads of them, as they're not in allies, while Baran allies are 1/4 instead of 1/3
Mossinian Snipers come in platoons, not addons, while the reverse is true of Baran
Mossinian Rapiers are a single figure upgrade (except the HQ which gets 3 built in) while Baran are upgraded as a batch of 3
Mossinian Fortifications cost 100 points, while Baran costs 75
Mossinians get 1 commissar per 300 points, rather than every 500, which is pretty massive boost
Mossinians also get 3 support formations for every core, instead of 2 (though as they have to buy aircraft with this restriction, its likely to end up pretty close overall)

In all other aspects, they are identical

Commissar frequency is obviously a large boost to mossinians, but are 4 commissars in 3000 points worth 25 points and half shooting in every infantry platoon, let alone the 25% more expensive fortifications?
Loads of Aircraft is interesting (though compared to ork fighters, they're pretty solidly worse) but is it worth losing shadowswords? Griffons vs Heavy Mortars is tough call to make
Better Rough Riders vs Worse Siegfrieds?

It's a weird combination, and I was wondering where the maths comes in? Personally, I kinda think I'd prefer the Baran list with the Mossinian Aircraft and maybe Heavy Mortars and Firestrikes (more as modelling choice than a game ones) or failing that, the Mossinian list with Baran Siegfrieds, core infantry, and commissars.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's in the book, so if I get a vote it should stay as an Approved list in the compendium and tournament pack unless there are balance concerns.

Profile Send private message