Login |  Register |  FAQ

Imperial Guard - first impressions

Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard - first impressions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Remided me of watching "Kill the Irishman" last night and there was this joke (adapted to Epic) that went "what do you do if an ork throws a grenade at you? Pull out the pin and throw it back"

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
There are a number of neat concepts in E:A, barrages are one. Most rules have fixed ranges for weaponry allowing the potential target to move with impossible precision to avoid being shot. E:A barrages differ by allowing you to place the templates beyond the stated weapon range (the range is measured to a unit under the first template). The consequence is that barrages get a 'fuzzy' range.

Crossfire is another fairly 'realistic' rule that is often overlooked. Especially usefull against Leman Russ - there are real world corrolaries here. And no, I have not ridden a tank; they are too bloody dangerous for my liking - people have a nasty habit of shooting at them.

Crossfire is actually what would be called "flanking" fire ... especially useful when engaging Armor ... An AFV's armor especially in WWII, the armor plating was generally thinner on the side and rear ... So by having units fire from the front and fire from the flank/side, no matter where the AFV turns it exposes it's weaker armor ... Being former Grunt, I've ridden on the back of MBTs on occassion, faster than walking(!). And each provides mutual support. But my paradigm is the same as with APCs, you dismount too soon you loose mobility, too late and you give the enemy a 2-for-1 shot. At your transport(whether APC or MBT), and the troops that are being carried. See my previous comments about moving from cover to cover and dismounting behind cover. And using covering/overwatch fire from the transport (APC or MBT)under cover (hull down/hull defilade), to support the dismounted infantry attack. Note: you don't want to be caught out in the open while riding on the back of an MBT under an artillery attack. See my comments about moving under cover ... again ...

Last edited by Legion 4 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Legion 4 wrote:
Firefights usually take place at about 200-250m ... Close Combat is very much closer, bayonets, grenades, pistols, combat knives/tomahawks, rifle butts, entrenching tools, fists, spit, etc., etc., get involved ...

You forgot Bad Language and Sharp Sticks there, Hudson ;)

Indeed ... even bad breath and mean looks ! ::)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Russ companies definitely work best and are very scary when accompanied by Warhounds. Guard with Warhounds, I always get raped by.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think RichardL's build comes close to ideal for guard, Tank company, 2 mech inf companies, 2 warhounds and the all important artillery to prevent armies like eldar hiding behind terrain all the time......

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played against that army with Eldar this year and scored nil poi, lol! Very good build indeed and he certainly knows what he's doing with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Updating my thread I played last monday - and won at kill points vs Imperial Knights after four EXCRUTIATINGLY close turns. Long story short DS took out his pair of Knights with barrage weapons on first activation, then he started shooting my LR BTS with his three activations, my Thunderbolts took down his warhound's shields then my own warhounds and artillery killed them (BTS) then he pounded the crap out of my garrison, breaking it, and eventually we ended up on turn four with my BTS falling back to my blitz while the mech took his blitz - which he proceeded to break. We both only had two points each on turn 4 thus we counted up points killed and I won by something like 75pt in a 3k game.

It was....superb! So much fun.
Playing again this coming Monday, thanks for all the advice thus far guys (I'm counting it as a great advance on the first game's total destruction of my army)
>:D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This thread tells me a few things:
1. There are some truly good people out there
2. Epic is a game with some unique qualities that may not be apparent at first, and
3. Perseverance pays off, regardless of which game you play

I'm glad you got a win, which will in turn fuel the fire. You're the kind of player I like (craves a good game rather thanjust a win). I am taking snippets of this thread to share with a friend who is about to learn Epic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agreed. Very helpful opinions!
I came fourth out of a a dozen in this weekend's tournament defeating drop-pod/orbital Marines, defeated Blood Angels in a prior warm-up game, nailed the Knights again (same player as the above report but this time by some 500 instead of 75) but still lost to the same player I played my first game of Guard against (he played the same Eldar army. It was a complete bloodbath - and an almost exact copy of our first game!)

Five games in, all very satifsying, these are my conclusions at the moment
A. yes, perseverence does pay off! Loaded dice may also help....
B. at the tourney this past weekend I took a reinforced tank cpy (LR plus commissar plus 3 more LR and a Hydra) - this was excellent. Worried it might be a points sink it just kept going and going with its 4+ reinforced and 12 75cm 4+/2+ attacks.
C. twin Warhounds work great for my play style, in separate activations only though as suggested here
D. garrisons are worth their points in gold (didn't take them this weekend and regretted it) - but no ogryns in the future as in no game have they been engaged, they just act as a fire magnet which works fine for me. Straight up cpy parked on an objective in cover with a hydra
E. DS are fire magnets as well - and activating them successfully then rolling snake eyes to fire with them is not good - nono..
F. Reg HQ, as much as not my cup of tea, is essential because of the Supremo re-roll. Saved my bacon quite a few times
G. The Sentinel trick identified here is gold - a 100pt insurance policy for blitz, DS and hydras has gained never-leave-home-without status
H. The thunderbolts to snipe broken units and take down shields - same as G. Very handy indeed
I. Ripple fire twin basilisks and a single manticore and also ripple fire the Warhounds' Plasma Blastguns
L. Hydras rock. 3 in a formation, plus one attached to the garrison, one to the Reg HQ and one to the LR cpy. Even if there is no/little air (which they are fantastic against) they also perform great firing straight up (88s anyone?). 6 shots at 4+ is brutal vs infantry at 45cm

vs Eldar I'm still having trouble though. You win some you lose some, I guess.
Killed an activation of his each turn but in both games ended up cornered by his forces onto my blitz. Just can't seem to cause sufficient damage to make any headway. That and they're sneaky gits in tights, rather annoying they are! Essential in the toolkit will be valkyries with assault troops, need something more mobile and not ground based to move the the axis of battle (his garrisons are always rather weak, if I could just get over the table half....). That, and I'd be happy to sacrifice the hydras up the table to cover the assault landing once the DS are off.