Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Imperial Guard - first impressions

Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard - first impressions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.
What do you guys think of this which I'll field this coming Monday (might even remember my phone for some piccies this time!)

Total Roster Cost: 3000

Company: Tank Company
Commissar
1 Tank Company, 650 pts
1 Leman Russ Tank Squadron, 200 pts

These I'd use to deny the enemy activations by picking on smaller formations and creeping up the table.

Company: Mechanised Infantry Company
Commissar
1 Mechanised Infantry Company, 400 pts
1 Demolisher Tank Squadron, 200 pts
1 Flak, 50 pts

Their aim is to take the enemy's blitz/counter/hold a flank or generally be a nuisance.

Company: Infantry Company
Commissar
1 Infantry Company, 250 pts
1 Flak, 50 pts

Garrison on one of my objectives - too fragile? How can I better spend 300pt?

Support: Storm Trooper Platoon
Commissar
1 Storm Trooper Platoon, 200 pts
4 Valkyrie, 0 pts

Is this legal (can the commissar join an airborne unit? Is it a waste of a storm trooper stand?)
Because airmobile is cool and I think they'd be a good blitzking unit?

Support: Sentinel Squadron
1 Sentinel Squadron, 100 pts

To employ the trick I've read where you set them up near your arty and it prevents teleport

Support: Super-Heavy Tank Platoon
1 Super-Heavy Tank Platoon, 200 pts

In case titans show up with is my TK unit? Silly choice?

Support: Artillery Battery
1 Artillery Battery, 250 pts
3 Basilisks

3BP per turn, protected by flak and sentinels these will protect my own blitz

Support: Flak Battery
1 Flak Battery, 150 pts

See above

Navy: Thunderbolt Formation
1 Thunderbolt Formation, 150 pts

To pick on broken units and wipe them rebreaking them or going on CAP.
Where can I park the other three Commissars? Can the arty, shadowsword and/or hydra formation have one?

That's 9 activations now with three 45cm AA umbrellas, is that better or still too few?
More Sentinels?
I think I'd play it with formations playing much closer to one another than I did last game where they were all spread out. Might even get a crossfire or two - maybe.
Unsure about the garrisoning infantry company, the airmobile, the shadowsword.
The BTS is still the tank company though. But 13 tanks, if I'm not silly with them they should be ok?
I read from your posts that's not the case - but still know why....
Thanks fellows.
Steven

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:38 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

those demolishers are going to slow your mechanised infantry down, I don't think they're a great complement to each other

I'd also probably drop the extra russes from the tank company, not really necessary and it frees up a bunch of points

Right now you've got two fast formations (mech infantry and stormtroopers) I would say having less than 4 is a real weakness..... are you averse to using warhounds (if you have them) as they're probably the best units available to guard, int 1 means they're pretty reliable, they hit pretty hard and are fast for objective grabbing/contesting

one of the best ways to use them is to advance a mech infantry/stormtrooper formation near to your enemy, lay a blast marker and perhaps get some kills, then retain and engage with a warhound (super handy int 1 means on a retain you're not needing 3's and standing a good chance of using your precious re-roll) with the infantry/stormtroopers in support

footslogging infantry companies are great, garrison them on overwatch deep in terrain, they can be a pig to shift and make a great blitz guard

also make sure you put a commissar in your shadowsword, fearless shadowswords are a right nuisance!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

something along these lines:

REGIMENTAL HQ [575]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra, Sniper

TANK COMPANY [700]
9 Leman Russ, Hydra, Vanquisher

INFANTRY COMPANY [325]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Hydra, Sniper

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword

WARHOUND TITAN [275]

WARHOUND TITAN [275]

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

for flavour you can swap the shadowsword for deathstrikes, I probably wouldn't, unless I knew my opponent was bringing something big like a gargant or warlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I see....
kyussinchains wrote:
something along these lines:

REGIMENTAL HQ [575]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra, Sniper
These guys fulfill the same role I intended for them? What's with the sniper, I've never used one.

TANK COMPANY [700]
9 Leman Russ, Hydra, Vanquisher
So these roll up and fire on a formation, the the titans engage it?

INFANTRY COMPANY [325]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Hydra, Sniper
Parked on forward objective - check

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks
Hold my own blitz

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels
Protect the arty with a scout screen

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra
Protect the blitz/arty

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword
Titan killer right?

WARHOUND TITAN [275]
Why two? Is it to maximise activations? I happen to have two in my Marine list but they run in pairs there. Hadn't noticed you can buy singly in Guard

WARHOUND TITAN [275]

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

Love these guys!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:52 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

two warhounds is indeed to maximise activations, plus a single one is a big fat target and they are far from unkillable, two can watch each other's back and I often find my opponent concentrates on one, while ignoring the other, you can split them up to initiate assaults in different areas etc.... much much more flexible

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well it's a tournament so who knows who'll bring what!
What I do know is airpower is pretty big here. That's why I always bring lots of flak/fighters.
I know there's Eldar, Tau, Chaos Marines, airborne Orkz, and an Imperial Titan knights army in the mix.
Imperators are not allowed.

Deathstrike would be cool, I have four of them so a formation isn't an issue.
And yeah I can see how they'd be handier, but how reliable are they with their one-shot weapon in your experience?
Any good vs non titan lists - what else can they be good for/vs?

Last edited by punkskum on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why the regimental HQ vs normal mechanized?
Is the supreme commander re-roll that big of a deal when it happens once per game?
Wouldn't the points be better spent on another activation again - say the troopers?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also I'd never used flak but for its intended purpose. The AP shots I got off last game were a wonderful discovery
Another - unrelated query: if my AA fired at an advancing formation in range to put a BM on them, could they then still fire AA vs flyers?
If they go on overwatch, and fire on flyers, do they lose the overwatch?
In other words would it make sense as an activation to place them on overwatch as they're just going to sit near the blitz for the whole game, and if the enemy - say Eldar who are renowned for it! - march or double and then fire on my blitz units and I shot back at 45cm - would they still offer their umbrella or is that them done?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And engage is FF, assault is CC right? The bases that don't make it into CC use their FF instead right in support?
A fine fellow on this forum is selling me 12 sentinels so with any luck they'll be here in time for the tourney - painting should be a breeze. Maybe another formation of those?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

firstly the reg hq is the better engagement formation, if you manage to get everything within 15cm, then engage with the warhound, you'll get 22 shots in support, as opposed to the ten from the tanks, but having said that, the tanks aren't too shabby either

Reg HQ for the re-roll, it's once per TURN not game, many people hang on to it until the rally phase when it can be crucial to rally something, you can re-roll that dice too

the snipers are essentially just space fillers, they can be nasty in shooting as you can pick your target, which also suffers a -1 save modifier, handy for sniping out command stands, exarchs, nobz etc. They also provide an extra shot in FF as well as counting towards outnumbering and increasing the break point of your formation. They can ride along with your Reg HQ as there is a spare slot in the chimera, so don't need any extra transport

the other option would be two ogryn stands to join your unmounted infantry, they will make them a nasty CC proposition if your enemy wants to assault your company, make sure your forward company is dug in and well hidden, I often garrison mine off the blitz, but bear in mind some savvy players with orbital barrages will drop them on the blitz

finally, make sure your artillery is touching, or preferably in deep cover!

Flak on overwatch can indeed shoot at a ground target and still hit air targets, if the air target appears before ground, you can still flak it and maintain overwatch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:14 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

engage is the action, you engage a unit, then move into CC or FF range, you certainly want to avoid your troops getting into CC, they're half as good as they are in a firefight! same with the warhound, keep it in FF, that way it gets its shields against the first two FF hits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Righto. Crystal clear. Thanks kyussinchains
Then it's settled, and I'll save a few pennies on buying the Exodus Wars flyers and Stormtroopers for now.
Deathstrikes instead of the shadow, though I don't understand what you mean arty touching - the blitz or each other?
On the blitz I'll park the arty, flak detachment, sentinels.
Reg HQ I still don't get what it's supposed to do, the tanks I'm clear on.
Garrison forward objective near enemy blitz with the infantry and Ogryns.
Thunderbolts to CAP or pick off broken units.
Warhounds support each other, the Reg HQ FF a formation followed by Warhound engage for the support.
What's infantry dug in mean?
Leman Russes fire at 75cm and place markers/move as last activation and deny enemy use of formations as they fire away.

What's the SS in the Deathstrike statline from the army list mean?
With a staline of MW2+, Ind, SS, TK(D6), if the enemy doesn't have any titans what would be the best use for them do you think?
Once the missiles are off, is it worth moving the unit off the blitz and using their heavy bolters at 30cm or should they stay on the blitz because they can offer FF support? After they've fired the missiles they can overwatch with a 30cm heavy bolter umbrella, right?

Apologies for all the questions by the way. It's taking me so darned long to paint the army I'd really like to see it do well on-table as much as I can!

Last edited by punkskum on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the case of a game like monday's, where my opponent had a pair of Eldar titans (name escapes me, the one bought in pairs that are like warhounds though) can I choose to fire a missile at each? With d6 TK hits, say I roll a 7 all up. Do these go on the titan formation or can I say "first missile - roll dice - 3/second missile - roll dice - 5 hits.
Or do you shoot at the formation itself?
Shame DS doesn't have any BP at all though.....for such a powerful weapon system, 2BP might have seemed appropriate but maybe I just think of the missile differently in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

deathstrikes are useful for their ability to hit anything on the table, if your opponent doesn't bring titans, then next best is war engines

you cannot separately target each revenant, you roll to hit, he rolls his holofield saves, then you roll the number of hits, if he fails both holofields, then the first 3 hits will go on the first titan, however, if you roll a 1 for the number of hits for missile 1, then roll a 6, you will ONLY hit the first titan, in the same way, excess hits don't 'spill over' so if you rolll a 6, then the first titan takes 3 hits, the extra 3 are wasted, THEN the second missile rolls the number of hits

it's often said, "never fire deathstrikes at a baneblade company, unless you want 1 very dead baneblade"

after the deathstrikes have fired, it's a good idea to hide them somewhere, people often ignore them as they're no real threat, but late in the game, the extra activation can be key

The Reg HQ's role is to support the warhound, move them to 15cm of the formation you want to engage, do NOT engage! shoot them with the Reg HQ, putting at least a blast marker on them, hopefully more

then retain with the warhound and engage said formation, the warhound will fight them in the engagement, and assuming the target unit survives, your reg HQ will then get to support fire, which typically hurts, a lot

The Reg HQ can also engage smaller formations like sentinels, rangers and the like and generally win by mobbing them....
for the basilisks, I meant touching terrain (for the cover)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next