Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next

For Elysia! The Elysian Drop Troop Regiment v3.x

Post subject: Re: For Elysia! The Elysian Drop Troop Regiment v3.x
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Comments on current upload (typo spotting):

Army list has "May add 4 Valkyrie" instead of "may add 4 Valkyries".

Army list has both "Vendetta Troop Carriers" and "Vendetta transports"... they are actually called "Vendetta Gunships", IIRC.

You have a black line between Marauder Destroyer and Marauder Bomber.

Storm Troopers have the Teleport ability listed, but can't use it unless you leave their Valkyries at home... not sure about that!

Valkyrie has "Replaces Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, and Rocket Pods", minor correction, it should be "Replaces Multi-laser, both Heavy Bolters, and Rocket Pods".

=====

Any thought about including Cyclops demolitions vehicles as upgrades?
I've always used one in my 40k army, and in the IA:8 list they've been given access to squadrons of them, instead of just 1 per Fast Attack slot.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
If including Cyclops Remote Demolition Vehicle Squadrons you could also include Tarantula Sentry Guns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cyclops Demolition Vehicles
Regarding rules for the Cyclops, here's my thoughts:

Quote:
*Muses*
Gretchin can be removed without placing blast markers, so that exists. One-shot already exists. All you really need is a rule that explains the model is removed when it 'fires'.

Alternatively, Drop-pod models are representative of groups of drop pods. Perhaps the model could represent a formation being equipped with a number of [Cyclops Demolition Vehicles]?

The first approach (each model is a separate entity) appeals for simplicity's sake and because they can be fielded as squadrons in 40k.

However, the more I think about the way mobile mines would be used, the less separate formations of Cyclops appeals. It would be weird to me if they could march off on their own and claim objectives. In addition I think the 40k force org placement feels a bit awkward for Cyclops (and Tarantulas) and for this reason, I'd prefer to see such semi-automated equipment as part and parcel of the Elysian infantry formations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I'd prefer to see such semi-automated equipment as part and parcel of the Elysian infantry formations.

I'd see them as upgrades too.

Something like:
Quote:
Type: LV
Armour : 6+
Speed: 20cm
FF: None
CC: 2+

Weapons:
Demolitions Charge, Assault Weapon, Macro Weapon

Notes:
Teleport

The Cyclops is immediately removed from play if it attacks an enemy in close combat, and does not count as killed for combat resolution, or generate a blast marker after the engagement is concluded.

Upgrade Cost: 75pts for three?

Last edited by Evil and Chaos on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Yep. Independent formations would be strange.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd give them a small FF value to represent them blowing up a little further away from the enemy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sigh...I just love the feeling of thinking that you have all the typo's fixed. Not sure when that will occur, but I do hold out hope. ;)

Regarding Cyclops. Originally, I left them out because they seem like an unnecessary distraction and their effect was "assumed" in the FF value for the infantry. At this point in time, I'm not convinced they are needed in the list.

Tarantulas: In one sense, these units seem counter-intuitive for the type of army that the Elysians represent. Since in the new IA book, Elysians do seem to be able to garrison, it is possible to feature these as:

1. Upgrade to a drop company - This doesn't seem to be a viable option as the Tarantula is immobile upon landing and for the life of me, can't think of why you would pin a fragile formation down like that. The assumption is that the formation the Tarantula upgrades becomes immobile.

So, I'm not inclined to do that.

2. Separate formation - So then we'd have one more light, cheap formation that in essence performs a similar function to Support. Then we have to beg the question, is this what the list is lacking in order to be interesting/fun/competitive? I don't think so.

So, I'm not inclined to do that either, for different reasons.

There are a bunch of new units and combinations that need to be evaluated within the context of the existing list. That is what I will be examining in my play tests.

There are quite a few "big rocks" that need to be sorted out and validated within the current framework. Some of the other pebbles and grit can come later.

I'll work on the edits.

From a gaming perspective, assume that both Marauders have 5+ armor.

Thanx for catching the typos.

Cheers,

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think option #1 could work. You figure that a formation that grav chutes in (teleports in) that finds some good ground may actually want to stay in place... Or move around only slightly. Besides, it isn't like the unit can't be left behind. Those larger core formations are usually inundated with BMs anyway, so leaving behind a few Tarantulas to grab an objective would be an interesting choice to pose to a player. Grab the objective and take the BMs, or keep the units and remain pinned.

The Cyclops looks pretty cool, but I don't really have a strong feeling on including it or discluding it.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Honda: Sent a PM your way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I got some new information that relates to one of the topics.

First off, let's postpone the discussion on the tarantula. There will be other things more important to the success of the list.

Secondly, "if" a one-eyed small armored vehicle became available, it might make sense to provide a way for that model to be used.

So from a gaming perspective, it seems like there are a couple of options:

1. Drop Troop Company upgrade
2. Independent formation

Of the two, I lean more towards the first option, but am open to hearing what others think is a more effective means of employing.

Also, please provide the stats for the options.

Also_2, a proposal has been made for adding one special weapon shot (plasma/melta) to Drop Troop units. This would have an effect on shooting and possibly FF. If we were going to do that, what is a reasonable cost increase for that capability to the DTC?

Let pandemonium proceed...

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Honda_reloaded wrote:
please provide the stats for the options.

I'll stand by the stats I proposed earlier in the thread, for the moment:

Quote:
Name: Cyclops Demolitions Vehicle
Type: LV
Armour : 6+
Speed: 20cm
FF: None
CC: 2+

Weapons:
Demolitions Charge, Assault Weapon, Macro Weapon

Notes:
Teleport

The Cyclops is immediately removed from play if it attacks an enemy in close combat, and does not count as killed for combat resolution, or generate a blast marker after the engagement is concluded.

Tentative price suggestion would be 75pts for 3 Cyclops Demolitions Vehicles as an Upgrade.

Quote:
Also_2, a proposal has been made for adding one special weapon shot (plasma/melta) to Drop Troop units. This would have an effect on shooting and possibly FF. If we were going to do that, what is a reasonable cost increase for that capability to the DTC?

My idea was that we could have one Plasmagun shot per every two units (15cm, AP5+/AT5+) just like how Steel Legion squads get one Autocannon shot per each two units.

I wouldn't increase the FF rating, that should stay at 5+.

I'd probably add 25pts to the Company and HQ Company choices, at most, at this time, to pay for this benefit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with E&Cs posting.
Fior the Cyclops a new unit specialability might be useful:
SACRIFICE
Some units don't have any weapons, they ARE the weapon. Such units will destroy semselfe in order to do damage. If they just blow up or throw themselfe suicidal into their target doesen't matter. A unit which uses a weapon with the Sacrifice ability is removed from play after it made the to-hit roll. Note that units which are removed this way don't generate any blast markers and doesn't count as casualty for the assault resolution roll.*

*Last sentence could also be: Sacrifice includes Expendable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A special rule isn't need given that it's only for a single unit, a note will do fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
For proxies for the Cyclops the Dystopian Wars Kingdom of Britania tiny tanks might be a good starting point?

Sure, that'd be a good start. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next