Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Elysian Air Units

Post subject: Elysian Air Units
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Honda @ 29 Mar. 2006 (08:31))
So, looking at the next few days and all the stuff going on, it will be more realistic to expect my first throw down by Monday (4/3).

Take your time honda.

If other pressing issues take precidence - I understand. :alien:

Cheers,

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, the barn door opens and the animals escape...

LIGHTNING FIGHTER 2 aircraft @ 175
Weapon Range Firepower
Long Autocannon 30cm AP5+/AT6+/AA6+ FF
2 x Lascannons 30cm AT5+/AA5+ FF
Hellstrike missiles 45cm AT4+ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? FF

LIGHTNING STRIKE FIGHTER 2 aircraft @ 225
Weapon Range Firepower
2 x Lascannons 30cm AT5+/AA5+ FF
2 x Hellstrike missiles 45cm AT4+ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? FF

MARAUDER DESTROYER 2 aircraft @ 375
Weapon Range Firepower
3 x Twin Autocannons ? ? ? ? 30cm ? ? ?AP4+/AT5+ ? ? ? ? ?FF
Twin Heavy Bolters ? ? ? ? ? ? 15cm ? ? ?AA5+ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?FF
2 x Assault Cannons 15cm AA5+ ? ? ? ? ? ?FR
4 x Hellstrike missiles 45cm AT4+ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? FF

Ok, I know there will be some questions. ?:/

1. Why these three aircraft?

a) These aircraft have not been addressed in a list yet, so we have some flexibility

b) After discussing with some "higher ups" this direction was given a nod to explore

2. How did you come up with these values?

a) I took a stab at the costs based on gut feeling. I'm looking for validation and reasons for either up or down.

b) Given the assumed fluff pecking order of aircraft (i.e. Eldar/Tau/IG/Ork in descending order), I opted to stay away from AA4+, believing that is Eldar territory, so I opted for weight of shot.

I know that Tau usually have a lot of shots on their aircraft and IG not that many, but I was also trying to balance the fact that the aircraft are an important part of the Elysian "punch", lacking all the other big goodies other lists have. Please refer to earlier posts as to what we don't have access to in order to gain access to these aircraft.

My general impression is that they are strong, but not overly so. The Lightnings and Marauder Destroyer have a 6+ save, the Marauder Destroyer has DC2. The Hellstrikes on all aircraft are intended to mitigate against some flak, not all.

So, let the discussion begin.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Question - should the Lightings have 2 x Lascannon or a single twin linked lascannon?  I thought it was a single linked twin lascannon?  Also, what is the number of hellstrike missiles on the normal Lighting - 2 x?

I think it is a good first run - but one question.  Why would you ever take a Lightning Strike versus the normal Lightning?  I believe the normal lightning is supposed to be 2 x Hellstrikes, which in that case - it has a long AC and is cheaper?  Doesn't makes sense - but besides that, lets give it a go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Question - should the Lightings have 2 x Lascannon or a single twin linked lascannon? ?I thought it was a single linked twin lascannon? ?Also, what is the number of hellstrike missiles on the normal Lighting - 2 x?

Ok, here we go... :D

I know that the lascannons are twin-linked, but from my digging around, "twin-linked" lascannons yield a 4+ on the ground and in if we were going to be consistent, then that would yield a value of AA4+. Well, AA4+ is perceived to be the realm of the Eldar. So, I opted to de-link the lascannons to give more 5+ shots. It's just one way to balance the equation as I felt that one AA5+ shot was too ineffective and more along the lines of what you would expect for an Ork aircraft. These won't be that cheap.

So, I am taking "artistic" license with the aircraft stats in IA3 to tone them down. I was counseled that would be a good way to approach this issue as the existing stats just aren't acceptable (even by the authors own statement).

Also, I was able to confirm that at some point in the not too distant future, a review of aircraft stats will be undertaken and values will be adjusted. The overall goal is to add consistency across the races.

Now as that pertains to "these" aircraft, I want to put something out there that doesn't immediately cause a red flare to go up, but still gives us something interesting to work with.

So, I think the individual loadouts are probably in the "acceptable" band (we'll see). Where we have some flexibility and room to maneuver is in formation size (per TRC). I don't have any qualms at all in bumping the formation sizes up if we feel that is warranted.

I think it is a good first run - but one question. ?Why would you ever take a Lightning Strike versus the normal Lightning? ?I believe the normal lightning is supposed to be 2 x Hellstrikes, which in that case - it has a long AC and is cheaper? ?Doesn't makes sense - but besides that, lets give it a go.

The Lightining Strike vs. Lightning question is a good one to bring up. FW has gone to the effort of creating and naming two different aircraft. Admittedly, the name difference is insignificant, but their roles (per fluff) are intended to be different.

So, that means that there should be an air superiority version and a strike version. That is what I would like to see come out of all this.

As the first cut, the reason you would take Lighting Strikes are for the extra Hellstrike attacks (they are doubled), whereas the standard Lighting has more AA attacks, again to support a specific role.

After it's all said and done, we may just end up with one version of the Lightning and two different weapon loadouts, but given that I would expect the costs to be different, I feel justified in having a second unit description.

This is in the early stages. I plan on taking these (or at least the versions we settle on by the end of the week) in a game soon.

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can't say I like it - as I think we're going against precedence again, but I also see where you're coming from.

Hmmmm.......needs more thinking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I stated earlier, I'd get rid of weapons that aren't actually shown on the model. Just makes justification easier. Then everything is WYSIWYG.

It would help tone down the power of some craft.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I know this is going to go against what people might think - but as I said in the Sentinel thread, if you're going to start adding things to the game - use the vehicles as they are supposed to be.

What I mean by that is IA clearly defines what weapons all the aircraft have, and all weapons found on said aircraft have stats.  Shouldn't be any issue in putting the aircraft in, as Forgeworld has done.

Now on the power question - I'm much more for increasing the points if people feel they are that deadly.  On the flip side, keep in mind Elysians have no heavy tanks, titans or other really big guns that other armies do.  So knowing that, would people complain that much if our big guns were in our aircraft?  Even that being said, it isn't so much big guns - none of the aircraft have anything huge on them, but they do have a good number of weapons.

These are just my thoughts - and I know people probably won't like them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Honda,

Looking good honda...

3 comments:

1.   "LONG" autocannon should be 45cm range - otherwise, elimate the 'long' from the name.

2.    Lightning Lascannons - 2 shots at 5+ is statistically better than 1 shot at 4+. Therefore, I would make the lascannons what they are, twin linked and single shot at 4+. You are then erroring on the side of caution.

3.    Maurader Assault cannon would be better served from model if you said Rear Arc (180) instead of FR (90).

Good stuff Honda,

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, some good work, there, Boyz ! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Round Two... :D

@Cosmic Serpent

Well, I know this is going to go against what people might think - but as I said in the Sentinel thread, if you're going to start adding things to the game - use the vehicles as they are supposed to be.

What I mean by that is IA clearly defines what weapons all the aircraft have, and all weapons found on said aircraft have stats. ?Shouldn't be any issue in putting the aircraft in, as Forgeworld has done.

Fair enough comments. I think what I am doing is "taking" away things, not adding things. I am purposely weakening some of the weapon systems because of a direction that all aircraft will be heading in the future.

Note: I have not added new weapons to the aircraft.

Now on the power question - I'm much more for increasing the points if people feel they are that deadly. ?On the flip side, keep in mind Elysians have no heavy tanks, titans or other really big guns that other armies do. ?So knowing that, would people complain that much if our big guns were in our aircraft? ?Even that being said, it isn't so much big guns - none of the aircraft have anything huge on them, but they do have a good number of weapons.

These are just my thoughts - and I know people probably won't like them?

Not in the least (i.e. your thoughts). I would say that I completely agree with you. If the Elysians were the first list out the gate, then how we design the aircraft would be a lot easier as we would be setting the precedent.

Unfortunately, that is not the case here. We are attempting to fit into an existing framework where, at least initially, aircraft had a smaller role, then a couple of lists were developed (e.g. Eldar/Tau) where aircraft had a larger role and coincidentally, their aircraft are "perceived" to be more powerful.

There is a general feeling by some (not myself, however) that aircraft and flak are starting to "take over" the general play of the game. I can't say that I share that belief, but I do understand where it is coming from. However, there are enough voices that express this opinion, that a review of the aircraft and their rules will be undertaken.

So where does this leave the Elysians? Well as I see it, there are a couple of paths to take:

1) Develop aircraft that though suitably costed, equate to other lists SHT and WE's, regardless of cost and effect. This approach would basically ignore what is happening around it.

2) Develop aircraft that fit within the original framework, so less effective than #1, also these aircraft will be cheaper, thus providing an opportunity to field more and gain the quality of quantity.

So, my current thinking is to take Option #2. I say this because I am fairly certain that if Option #1 is taken, then the Elysians will face an exercise sometime in the future where somebody else recommends changes to get to Option #2. Or worse yet, they will never advance past the "fan boy list" stage. I would aspire to greater things. ?:;):

Now, the real question is if Option #2 is taken, then what does that look like? That's what I'd like us to pursue to see where the ceiling is, so that it can be pushed against.

Where I think we have some room to flex our muscles is in the area of "number of shots". We can add to these numbers by increasing the number of aircraft units in a formation, or add to the number of weapons on each aircraft, or some combination.

So, I took a minimalist approach to the Hellstrikes, figuring it would be easy to add one here and there, as well as do things to keep the units below the "Eldar" realm (i.e. AA4+).

@Tactica

1.   "LONG" autocannon should be 45cm range - otherwise, elimate the 'long' from the name.

Is there such an animal as a "Long Autocannon" anywhere else in EA? If not, then I am inclined to drop the Long and give it the same stats as the standard ac.

2.    Lightning Lascannons - 2 shots at 5+ is statistically better than 1 shot at 4+. Therefore, I would make the lascannons what they are, twin linked and single shot at 4+. You are then erroring on the side of caution.

Hmm...Ok, if we can't go the AA4+ route, and I really think that 1 x AA5+ isn't representative of lascannons in general, so where should we take it? At this point, I'm inclined to leave these as is and see where that takes us, but point taken.

Thoughts?

3.    Maurader Assault cannon would be better served from model if you said Rear Arc (180) instead of FR (90).

Got it. Good catch!

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1. Does long exist?

Yes, Long Barrelled Autocannon to be most accurate. The hydra flak tank has a 2x Twin-linked Long Barrelled Autocannons if you look at IA.

The Long Barrelled Autocannon only appears on these two vehicles. (Lightning and Hydra). 72" range in 40K.

In E:A - it was made to be a 45cm weapon all the way around on the Hydra regardless of shooting at ground or AA targets. Oddly enough, this follows no design principle whatsoever of any other list.

The regular autocannon (not long? :) or normal autocannon) fielded by infantry is 48" in 40K. In E:A, that equated to 45cm for IG as one would have expected. This does follow 'typical' or 'defacto' design principle that we see.

"Long" for a typical E:A 45cm gun is "longer" than 45cm. Therefore, a "long" E:A autocannon weapon should equate to 45cm. Rason is that standard 45cm guns are equated to 30cm due to artificial range adjustments for all aircraft weaponry. So normally longer than 45cm guns should equate to 45cm only as that's the max accepted range of aircraft weaponry.

However, the twin-lascannons should be 30cm as adjusted down for aircraft mounted though.

IA fluff and 40K ranges are behind you on 45cm "long" language.

2. ?2. ? ?Lightning Lascannons - 2 shots at 5+ is statistically better than 1 shot at 4+. Therefore, I would make the lascannons what they are, twin linked and single shot at 4+. You are then erroring on the side of caution.

Hmm...Ok, if we can't go the AA4+ route, and I really think that 1 x AA5+ isn't representative of lascannons in general, so where should we take it? At this point, I'm inclined to leave these as is and see where that takes us, but point taken.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

OK, "if we can't go the AA4+" route....

Lightning Fighter.... 2@175
Aircraft
Fighter, Ar:6+, CC:x, FF:x
Weapons
Lightning Twin-Lascannon, 30cm, AT4+/AA5+, FFA
Long Barelled Autocannon, 45cm, AP5+/AT6+/AA6+, FFA
Hellstrike, 45cm, AT4+, FFA

Changes in orange from your last proposed.
- Takes the lascannon to 1 shot instead of 2
- Makes the lascannon have an AT4+ shot like it should
- Leaves the lascannon shot at AA5+ instead of AA4+
- observes the design fluff for the long autocannon's range

What say you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I'll update that stats. What about costs and formation size?

2 or 3 aircraft? If two, is 175 about right? If three, what is more appropriate? 250 or 275?

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In fluff, lightnings (both types) fly in sorties of 3.

That works as that's how FW sells them coincidentally. :p

In fluff, Maurader Destroyers fly in sorties of 1 typically.

That works as you get 2 formations in one package from FW.

So, I'd recommend 3 and 1 for formation size. Your points look accurate on both accounts.

For the lightnings, (175/2)*3= 262.50 ... so, I'd say 250 and 275 for 3 - depending upon whichever formation you think is more powerful. It will give us a place to start from and see how the points work.

Alternatively, you make them both 275 and see if one is being taken more than the other. The one that doesn't get taken as often goes to 250.

I think 250 and 275 is where you are going to land though on the two different lightning formations.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AA 4+ is currently the preserve of bomber defences, no fighter including the eldar has it.

Well, here is what I'd recomend and why (based incidentally on chatting with jervis a while back and a few emails about marauders in general). You may also wish to check with the AMTL list for their interpretation.

War Engine
Bomber 5+ (Save based on emails and extensive marauder disscussions on old forum)
3 x Twin Autocannon, 45cm, AP4+/AT5+/AA6+, Fixed Forward Arc
Twin Assault Cannon, 30cm, AP4+/AT4+/AA5+, Fixed Rear Arc (Note can shoot ground targets as per fluff)
Twin Heavy Bolter, 15cm, AA5+, 360 degree Arc
3 x Twin Hellstrikes, 30cm, AT4+, Fixed Forward Arc
Bombs, 15cm, 2BP, Fixed Forward Arc (as it has internal bomb bays)
Notes: 2DC. Critical hit effect, the bombers control surfaces are damaged causing the craft to crash and be destroyed.
Points 2 for 425 later argued down to 400 for two (justified I think with the drop in the missile range).

This got playtested in over 2 dozen games, add in more if you include the AMTL varient (which is very similar). Admitable with 45 range misiles hitting on 5+.

Never considered using them singly, if so would charge 225 for 'em.

Lightning interceptor
Fighter 6+
Lightning Autocannon, 45cm, AP5+/AT6+/AA6+, Fixed Forward Arc
Twin Lightning LasCannon, 30cm, AT4+/AA5+, Fixed Forward Arc
Note this plane according to its fluff doesn't carry missiles, its air to air firepower is less than most imperial planes but it outranges them all.
We tested at a cautious 2 for 175 but that came down to 150 for 2 (better interceptor than thunderbolt, worse ground attacker).
If you wanted to go to 3 in a squadron 3 for 225 shouldn't be a problem and would be interesting to compare to the barracuda.

Lightning strike.
Fighter, 6+
Twin Lightning LasCannon, 30cm, AT4+/AA5+, Fixed Forward Arc
Twin Hellstrikes, 30cm, 2xAT4+, Fixed Forward Arc
Tested at a cautious 2 for 200 (at 45cm range for the missiles), but I would try 3 for 275 if the range of the missiles was lowered.

Also trying to think how to give an aircraft a wildweasel ability (sorta sniper) to prioritise flak units when firing.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also trying to think how to give an aircraft a wildweasel ability (sorta sniper) to prioritise flak units when firing.

Perhaps give sniper to an AT only weapon?  That avoids nearly all character sniping.  Make it hit on 5+/6+ to balance out the armour save penalty, and keep the range low (30cm?) so that to kill the flak there is some risk.  And only mount one such weapon per aircraft to (hopefully) prevent abuse.

That said it opens up some awkward possibilities, the usual risk of aircraft becoming too dominant.  Especially with wild weasels combined with other strong ground attack aircraft, take out the flak and the bombers have free reign.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next