Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Harakoni Warhawks - v1.5 (20131016)

Post subject: Re: Harakoni Warhawks - v1.4.2 (20111121)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There were a couple of issues with the list in the Compendium that were fixed for version 1.4.2, but the army builder I updated was regressed back to the Compendium version. Since one of the rule changes was inspired by the extreme clunkiness of trying to get the Compendium version to work in the Army Builder, and I never actually finished that version, I'm not sure who actually made the version that's up there now.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Harakoni Warhawks - v1.5 (20131016)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alright, it's been a while, but finally an update! Changelog is on the first post, I'm interested in what you think of the changes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Signal wrote:
Alright, it's been a while, but finally an update! Changelog is on the first post, I'm interested in what you think of the changes.

Interesting changes! I think making the Sentinels core was smart; it's how most people seem to want to play them anyway, and strongly distinguishes them from the Elysians.

One quick typo: the lascannons on the Fire support squad are marked as being AP5+. That should be AT5+, right? Also, just as a formatting note, the unit stats are a bit crowded-- I suppose that's unavoidable. Finally, there's probably a need for a description of the Onero-- it took me a significant amount of digging around on the internet to find out what that meant.

Great work! I'm not terribly experienced or sophisticated about the rules, so I can't really comment on the substance of the changes, but it's a nice take on the heavy drop infantry concept.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey, I just noticed that the Armored Sentinels don't have an air transport option-- neither grav gliders nor chutes nor valkyries. Is this a typo? As a core formation, I'm surprised that you can't airdrop them. Fluff-wise, are they supposed to arrive off-camera?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wellspring wrote:
One quick typo: the lascannons on the Fire support squad are marked as being AP5+. That should be AT5+, right? Also, just as a formatting note, the unit stats are a bit crowded-- I suppose that's unavoidable. Finally, there's probably a need for a description of the Onero-- it took me a significant amount of digging around on the internet to find out what that meant.

Thanks wellspring, typo has been fixed in my local copy, and will be implemented when I get 1.5.1 together. The unit stats are a bit crowded, but I should probably go ahead and do some alternating coloring to make them easier to view. The Onero is only really mentioned in Double Eagle I think, and doesn't have much description at all. Took me a fair amount of digging to find something that worked, but I should probably make it easier to figure out what's going on.

wellspring wrote:
Hey, I just noticed that the Armored Sentinels don't have an air transport option-- neither grav gliders nor chutes nor valkyries. Is this a typo? As a core formation, I'm surprised that you can't airdrop them. Fluff-wise, are they supposed to arrive off-camera?

As of right now, I'm assuming that they arrive off camera, either via a heavy-lift dropship or on foot. I'm worried about having them be a bit too potent if they're droppable, as right now they're a fairly cheap, durable formation that's mostly limited by their speed and inability to garrison.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Signal wrote:
wellspring wrote:

Thanks wellspring, typo has been fixed in my local copy, and will be implemented when I get 1.5.1 together. The unit stats are a bit crowded, but I should probably go ahead and do some alternating coloring to make them easier to view. The Onero is only really mentioned in Double Eagle I think, and doesn't have much description at all. Took me a fair amount of digging to find something that worked, but I should probably make it easier to figure out what's going on.

wellspring wrote:

As of right now, I'm assuming that they arrive off camera, either via a heavy-lift dropship or on foot. I'm worried about having them be a bit too potent if they're droppable, as right now they're a fairly cheap, durable formation that's mostly limited by their speed and inability to garrison.

Great. Regarding the Onero, you might just want to call it "heavy drop transport" or even "onero heavy drop transport".

You've got a point about the sentinels, but it really compromises the feel of a drop army when one of its two core formations can't actually, you know, drop. I wonder if there's some way of letting them be transportable without having the problem you're talking about come up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been thinking about the armored sentinels thing. How about this? Due to their bulk and the need to power up after landing, Armored Sentinels using grav-chutes count as having already been activated on the turn they land. Essentially, landing IS their activation, rather than a free move as is normally the case. This way they can land, but most players will still choose to have them on-board from the beginning.

On another note, under grav-chutes, it currently says that units with the chutes get "Planetstrike". I think you mean Planetfall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Probably a teleport rule would be more reflective as they get placed first then can be targeted. Everyone needs a disadvantage though so bring able to lug them in a transport is probably better.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, looking at the list I'd be interested to see how big the abuse potential actually is considering that this is a very tightly focused list, whereas with other IG lists you have many more kinds of tools in your kit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So out of curiosity, what, if anything, are people using as a model for a grav-glider?

Something that looks big enough to hold 10-14 stands of infantry, but only checks in as a DC1 flying war engine is not the most trivial order.

Best ideas I've had so far would be getting a 1/200 or 1/144 scale WWII era transport plane and kitbashing it to be nicely grimdark or perhaps going to Reaper's old CAV line and getting one of the APCs from their Tru-Scale line (probably a Baron or Merlin).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the CAV line I find the following to be promising (and as all things EA related, scale is fungable)

-Kikyo
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/op ... l/IG_273_3
-Lynx
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/op ... test/07075
-Longbow
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/op ... test/07074

All these have the right "look" for a glider or at least single use transport flyer (especially the Lynx)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since the PDF in the OP is lost during the server move I am posting the last version I had archived

Attachments:
Harakoni Warhawks v1.4.2.pdf [82.27 KiB]
Downloaded 145 times

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6