Login |  Register |  FAQ

Stormhammer - worst super heavy

Post subject: Stormhammer - worst super heavy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So after Baneblade got buffed stormhammer lost any point imo.
advantages:
-one better firepower
-in theory stubs can pick different targets as they are 2 separate weapons (marginal)
minuses:
-range
-while it gets one more HB, BB gets in place: a demolisher which is better and an autocannon and 2 lascannons on top of that.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Stormhammer - worst super heavy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I see what you’re getting at but in defence of the Stormhammer:

FF3+ and Thick Rear Armour probably still makes it the best super heavy even if it didn’t have any guns! But it does have guns, and not an awkward mix of them like the other SHTs and with no arcs.

Alongside the Shadowsword it’s got a proper niche as a defensive bulwark, add Hellhounds or Demolishers and some Flak and you’ve got a powerful BTS and Blitz guard.

Alternatively, it’s the best SHT for just marching to objectives or doubling to support vulnerable formations and daring something to engage them!

There’s inevitably going to be one variant that’s the worst, but I’d say it’s the Stormblade personally!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RugII wrote:
Alternatively, it’s the best SHT for just marching to objectives or doubling to support vulnerable formations and daring something to engage them!

This! it can be useful in some builds where you just need a rock to roll forward, no waste of time firing any weapons.

RugII wrote:

There’s inevitably going to be one variant that’s the worst, but I’d say it’s the Stormblade personally!

Also agree. The Stormblade is worse. ShadowSword is better vs WEs and hard targets, StormSword is better against everything else, and same range on the main gun.

Konig Armoured Regiment FanList: https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 41#p581941

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, silly me, I missed Thick Rear Armour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, you've all just about convinced me I might need to give myself the option of fielding some stormhammers from time-to-time. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bit of a necro but the statline for this tank has always bugged me vs. the Baneblade. The BB has been buffed to 2× AP3+/AT3+ despite being a single gun - I guess the logic being it has a higher rate of fire? To me it just has a larger calibre so 1x AP2+/AT2+ makes sense. That would let it still be a force to be reckoned with at long range without essentially doubling its BC firepower.

The Stormhammer has 2x Twin Stub Battlecannons. These are presumably the same calibre but a shorter range due to the snub barrels, and they're twin so they should have their stats improved by 1 to hit just like every other twin weapon in the game. 2x Twin Stub Battle Cannon at 1xAP2+/AT2+ would be reasonable but is definitely weaker than the BB's inexplicable two shots; 2x Twin Stub Battle Cannon at 2xAP3+/AT3+ is probably more fair in comparison, so we can just handwave the twin thing. That represents two Baneblade Cannons chopped and twinned for a total of four shots. If we really want to be conservative with it, we could do 30cm range since the barrels on them may even be shorter than conventional Leman Russ BCs.

To me this is a balanced unit - it is not super likely to have a shot on anything turn 1 even if doubling due to its range. The utility of the Baneblade for me is that it can double t1 and still hit something with a 4+ and 75cm range, then t2 it comes into range with the rest of its guns and can firefight quite well. The Stormhammer wouldn't have that utility t1 and probably has to double or triple to come into range for the second turn.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like to propose an alternative or perhaps complementray line of thought. Seeing as these variants are only present in the Minervan list (I think?), why not use the same machanism used for the Russ variants: points value difference? Thereby the Stormhammer or the other two that I keep forgetting the names of, need not be as costly as the Baneblade but relatively speaking also less capable, or alternatively more costly but better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That's likely the solution for the Stormblade, Nitpick. There's not much room for state adjustments at this point.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The plasma tank and the flamer arty tank are both candidates worth thinking about in terms of points balancing, no? I have only used the plasma variant once in a small bbattle, and it worked OK I guess. The other one I have no clue about at all. I also gather, from the looks of other debates around here that there is a wide discrepancy among the opinions of the Stormhammer fares vs BB or Shadowsword, so that will likely not result in anything anyhow, points or statswise. I guess we are in agreement about that in that sense.