Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Fanlist] Catachan Deathworld Veterans v2.7

Post subject: Re: [Fanlist] Catachan Deathworld Veterans v2.7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
With the current rules, these guys are essentially infantry Griffons. This has its pluses and minuses. You can't attach them to anything really bump up their BP.

Well, you can. Just not in the same way. You can attach two bases to an infantry formation. Maybe that would be better off as a 50 pt option for 6 bases, to match price with the Steel Legion Griffon upgrade? That gives you more bases, but fewer weapons since they lack the Heavy Bolter.

Quote:
Their low range means unless you sustain fire, you won't get a shot in.

It's identical to the Griffon's main weapon. They should be sustaining whenever possible to get Indirect Fire anyway. They can even infiltrate to get in range, which Griffons can't do.

Quote:
They are easy to remove.

They get the full benefits of cover and have twice as many bases. That's twice as many blast markers to suppress them, or twice as many shots to kill them. The main problem with the unit (if there is one, because they always seem to do work in games) is that they are a small stand-alone formation and 6 INF bases on their own are not especially durable. Neither are 3 AVs, but the Griffons hide in larger formations.

Quote:
Their main advantage is because they are all infantry, you can easily buy a cheap squad to garrison them with or take them as a group of 6 to get an extra activation.

That plus the fact that extremely cheap indirect fire is really annoying to face, and I agree.

Quote:
As it stands now, I think they are bit over priced at 75.

I don't think you could make them cheaper as a standalone formation. But, maybe that's the problem.

Quote:
They are certainly useful, but not so much that I would take tons of activation of them. The way the Catachan list is designed, can only really take infantry companies as base formations. With only two support formation upgrade per squad, if you were to spam mortars you would eat up your points in basic infantry units. Catachan Companies don't have autocannons so you will end up with tons more infantry fire power and no where near enough anti-tank. Right now you have a slightly overpriced griffon, which while useful doesn't really match the current strength of the uniit.

This is true. The Deathworld Infantry Companies that form the core of the list are cheaper than a Steel Legion company (200 pts vs. 250 pts) but trading Autocannons for Heavy Bolters and Booby Traps makes list construction harder. You are even more reliant on your Upgrades and Support for AT and longer range fire, and your Support is still limited to two per Company. This means even as cheap as they are, you can't exactly spam Mortar Platoons for throwaway activations.

In the end, I am not convinced they are overpriced. I think 75 pts for 6 INF bases, 3 Griffon shots, and an activation is a pretty reasonable deal. But maybe they should be made into a 50 pt Company Upgrade only to make them more comparable to Griffons. Other people's thoughts are welcome.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,
Love the list, love the troopers.
Is there any chance getting the new revised version on to armyforge-list creator?
Or can I find it somewhere else to make my army comp easier to build and try out?
cheers and great work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

raundall wrote:
Hi,
Love the list, love the troopers.
Is there any chance getting the new revised version on to armyforge-list creator?
Or can I find it somewhere else to make my army comp easier to build and try out?
cheers and great work!

Please put all ArmyForge questions and requests in the main ArmyForge thread, that way it is more likely to be seen and actioned

for the record, there are already two Catachan lists on there, are they both so utterly abhorent? ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for reply and help will head over to the armyforge thread. I do know two lists are out there already. One with no AA and the other with zero tanks or Rambo units. The list in this thread is just a perfect blend and picture of Catachan and the army I want defending my djungels.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bit of a necro but I love the theme of this list and the Trolls.cz models seem ideal for it. I'd dearly love to try building it IRL and testing it out. Anyone play this list currently and have any input on how effective it is? Seems like it is so low on mobility it would be hard to contest objectives, but I suppose that's what the Valks and Hellhounds are for. Anyone have a good Hellhammer proxy they like?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:27 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've never seen it played. It seems pretty fast to me, with Valkyries, Vultures and Hellhounds. I think the the core infantry formation is going to one of those "take it because you have to" formations. You're loosing out on the AT and range of Steel Legion in exchange for a CC bump.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Most people just proxy it with another SHT.
However taking the Woddish printed tank and moving the turret forward and shortening the Blade cannon by 60% would probably do it. Less than 10 minutes in blender or 3D builder.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alcyon wrote:
Bit of a necro but I love the theme of this list and the Trolls.cz models seem ideal for it. I'd dearly love to try building it IRL and testing it out. Anyone play this list currently and have any input on how effective it is? Seems like it is so low on mobility it would be hard to contest objectives, but I suppose that's what the Valks and Hellhounds are for. Anyone have a good Hellhammer proxy they like?

Based on my previous post, I actually decided to do you a solid and published a hellhammer STL on cults.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That is amazing, thank you!! I will endeavour to get one printed. I’m happy to report that after some encouragement Vanguard recasted the Jungle Fighter infantry they had and there are now great metal sculpts for Catachans at 6mm. I am just going into the major tournament of the year here in Vancouver but my next project will be building an army for this list. I’m torn between the Vanguard metal and the new 6mm Tanith a guy is putting out and posting on the Epic Facebook group (they only have Gaunt, Hark and Ludd so it works for 3k!)

I will do some testing with the list and see if we can’t get it approved. I wonder if it might not be a good idea to have a Support Platoon formation with maybe 6 bases. 12xAP5+/AT6+ doesn’t seem too busted even sustaining or on overwatch.

I also wonder if a fix to the Valkyrie barrage problem might just be that the upgrades replace bases in the unit instead of adding more Valks and bases. I find 4 appropriately scaled Valks already very hard to hide behind cover in Minervans/Steel Legion and would rather exchange bases for upgrades.