Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Elysian Air Units

Post subject: Elysian Air Units
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, good thoughts. I will be looking at this tonight with the goal of having the updated list available by Friday (4/7) all things being equal.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wild Weasel or Iron Hand mission/ability would increase an aircraft's ability to hit ADA/AAA/Flak units ... +1 to hit Flak ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would be strongly opposed to a wild weasel sniper ability, unless that were the only option for the aircraft formation (ie the only thing it could do-no AAA, no ground attack).  It would become very specialized at that point and be more balanced.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (The_Real_Chris @ 05 April 2006 (02:39))
AA 4+ is currently the preserve of bomber defences, no fighter including the eldar has it.

This is interesting. Something I hadn't thought about previously.

War Engine
Bomber 5+ (Save based on emails and extensive marauder disscussions on old forum)

I don't think 5+ is justified. Its slower than many other planes in 40K, it has 10 armor all the way around in 40K, it has the same survivability of every other Maurader bomber and bomber destroyer out there. The same flare and chaff launcher possibilities, etc. The ONLY way the 5+ would be warranted, is if we say the main books Maurader is wrong. In that case, I would then agree. (I always thought the main books maurader should have been a SHT and it should've had 5+ armor as well for the investment)

3 x Twin Autocannon, 45cm, AP4+/AT5+/AA6+, Fixed Forward Arc
Twin Assault Cannon, 30cm, AP4+/AT4+/AA5+, Fixed Rear Arc (Note can shoot ground targets as per fluff)
Twin Heavy Bolter, 15cm, AA5+, 360 degree Arc
3 x Twin Hellstrikes, 30cm, AT4+, Fixed Forward Arc
Bombs, 15cm, 2BP, Fixed Forward Arc (as it has internal bomb bays)
Notes: 2DC. Critical hit effect, the bombers control surfaces are damaged causing the craft to crash and be destroyed.

TRC,

Maurader's 3x twin-autocannons are not "Long" they should be 30cm when put on aircraft, not 45cm in my opionion... just like all the other 40K 48" range weaponry that's put on aircraft.

Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter are both 36" in 40K. They both convert to 30cm in Epic, but when put on aircraft, they go down to 15cm.

Hellstrikes have unlimited tabletop range (over 48" in 40K) so should be 45cm in E:A.

General range / effect logic extends to the lightnings...

I disagree with missiles not being taken on either lightning. I play both planes regularly in 40K - we ALWAYS take a full compliment of missiles IF we take lightnings. The autocannon variant is preferred as it has shots that stick around every turn where the missile variant - goes down to just the lascannon shot a bit too quickly unless you are playing against a fair amount of armor. At 10 points a missile for unlimited range and Strength 8 AP3 shots, its just a no brainer to take the max missiles with either plane in 40K!

Also trying to think how to give an aircraft a wildweasel ability (sorta sniper) to prioritise flak units when firing.

I REALLY don't like this. I would be VERY opposed to this becoming incorporated on ANY level. Planes should not snipe - period.

Its just a balance of play concept we want to avoid at all costs IMHO.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tactica @ 06 April 2006 (15:08))
I don't think 5+ is justified.

Hmm? Allow me to check out my illegal copies of forgeworld stuff when i get the chance and try and make sense of it (also have dodgy copies of the Tau stuff as well now). Of course the second I'm in the uk I'll actually buy these damn books. Though I admit the value was based entirely on playtesting and being a medium bomber.

Maurader's 3x twin-autocannons are not "Long" they should be 30cm when put on aircraft, not 45cm in my opionion... just like all the other 40K 48" range weaponry that's put on aircraft.

Point of aircraft design - bombers don't get range restrictions if they have fized weapon mounts - check out the eldar and imperials (the lascannon at 45 floats to mind). When stuff traverses more than fixed then its range drops.

The lightning dropped ranges/45cm ranges would be based on playtesting, comments as to what I think in original post.

I disagree with missiles not being taken on either lightning.

The strike version yes, the interceptor versions fluff int he IA copy I've got gives no option for them and that fits a dedicated interceptor.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TRC,

I've got all the legit books. The Hellstrikes are a valid option.

Sorry... perhaps your 'copy' is 'dated'.

There was a time when the lightning with long-autocannon could not take the missiles. That was changed when the hardbacks made official production.

Remember, the I:A updates are not the final version of the rules. The hardback I:A 1-3 (and soon to be 4) are the final versions of the rules.

In there, you will see the hellstrikes are quite valid.

Regarding the range restrictions on non-fixed mounts...

Heh - so explain this vs. your previous stance on the E:A Tau forum to make the AX-1-0 Twin Rail-cannons 30cm range?

They are FF and have a longer base range than lascannons or long-barrelled autocannons.

???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Everything that flys can carry ordinance ... ie. can be CAS if needed ... Also, adding HARM-W/Weasel will muddy the waters; which IMO are very cloudy as it is ... but DWWFU ! :D :;):

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tactica @ 06 April 2006 (18:01))
Heh - so explain this vs. your previous stance on the E:A Tau forum to make the AX-1-0 Twin Rail-cannons 30cm range?

They are FF and have a longer base range than lascannons or long-barrelled autocannons.

???

Easy :) To reiterate what I said there having the major weapon an over the horizon instant kill is somewhat unbalancing for all the reasons given a million times multiplied by its survivability. Conversly on the vampire, phoenix, marauder etc etc having a 45cm strike that is non lethal is far less of a problem especially as it is also not its main weapon system. If you have to close to get points effeciency allt he countermeasures come into play. If you don't well, cue 89 pages of discussion and example :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Further point, not having missiles on the interceptor keeps its points down and makes the strike version viable (otherwise common sense says load up on air defence with its added bonuses).

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I think one version should have the missiles and be more ground attack oriented, the other should be more of an air suppiority variant and not have the missiles.  My two cents.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6