Login |  Register |  FAQ

Nephilim Fighter stats

Post subject: Nephilim Fighter stats
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Split from the DA thread for visibility

OK this Nephilim issue is causing far too much angst on both sides which is hampering development far too much. I would prefer if everyone could come to an agreement amicably but it doesn't look like it. Arguing back and forth over this with neither side giving up their argument helps no one. I don't think anyone is trying get one over on anyone but I think this has the potential to get worse as it has started to get personal when it really doesn't need to.

Sorry to all parties but I feel I have to do this or we'll never see this put to rest.

From here on we will trial it with the following stats.

2x planes 250 points

AMB 30cm range 2x AP3+/AT5+/AA5+
Darkshroud Missiles 30cm range AT5+

Removal of the Heavy Bolter to bring this unit back to some semblance of fairness using the Aircraft stat adjustment precedence of the Thunderbolt. We're trying to balance the unit, after all. They're just unnecessary at this point.

So then, 4xAA is more fair than x6 but still quite strong hence the minimal price drop to begin with given the weapon range of 30cm. A single aircraft still puts out the same AA as two TBs at 30cm.... 125 points each compared with 87.5 each for a TB, I believe, is a reasonable start. It can change but for the moment it won't.

AT5+ Missiles for a weapon system still in its infancy is a reasonable start and there doesn't need to be an AA attack on them regardless of what 40K might say. We're not going to stat Epic like 40K

Reasoning:

1/It downgrades the silly amount of shooty that the 3 aircraft had.
2/It keeps the AMB stat that matches the Titan weapon as per AoC's preference.
3/It keeps the unit's dual role ability for flexibility and some of its potency.

To help try to keep the status quo, please just try these stats for any further DA playtests.

Hopefully we can now move on and get the DA list sorted out.

Thanks guys.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Nephilim Fighter stats
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool bean, boss :)

Are both 30cm? (or did I miss that?)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep Amended the post ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Considering we already moved to 2 planes and 250 sometime ago and the stats there were proposed and shot down. I feel this Micro Management is stepping backwards in development. But apparently not my call I guess.

Dobbsy wrote:
2/It keeps the AMB stat that matches the Titan weapon as per AoC's preference.

I only wanted because I THOUGHT it would be simpler, but as we seen its isn't and caused issues for AMTL. Easier would be the Twin Lascannon of some flavor and HB and/or Missiles of some shape.

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a long, very ranty, very bad-tempered post typed up then I saw this. Thank you for doing this, Dobbsy. We've argued plenty before, but this was well needed.

I do think I'd prefer the lascannon variant (just to make it less ground attack but still as good at AA), but a 45cm AA blast is just too much on interceptors. These stats work as a good compromise that I hope people can get behind. Personally, I would love to hear how it works 'in the real world' under game conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Dobbsy. Those stats bring the A/c and formation back in line with current aircraft power while leaving the Eldar at the top of the power curve.

My only request is that we (the entire community) recognise that AP3+ is an exception and should *not* form a precedent for whatever silliness 40K may come up with next.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The tail doesn't wag the dog, so 40K doesn't dictate to Epic balance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doomkitten wrote:
The tail doesn't wag the dog, so 40K doesn't dictate to Epic balance.
True, provided we keep reminding the dog that he is in control of his own tail and not the reverse. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just want to note that this is still the stat line of a Super Thunderbolt (better AA, better AT, better AP, better save). Oh, and init too, right? IIRC t-bolts are init 2+, while this, being a Marine craft, would be init 1+?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
Considering we already moved to 2 planes and 250 sometime ago and the stats there were proposed and shot down. I feel this Micro Management is stepping backwards in development. But apparently not my call I guess.

I'm glad we moved to two for 250 - it helped decide points for my adjustment. I dropped the Lascannon idea because the issue of AA3+ intercept at 45cm is just too divisive and air power in epic should not be that strong.

Like I said, mate, I'm sorry this has to be done but the endless argument isn't helping and going by messages several people have already decided to stop playing the list and that's not a good thing for the development of a list that's highly anticipated.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
I only wanted because I THOUGHT it would be simpler, but as we seen its isn't and caused issues for AMTL. Easier would be the Twin Lascannon of some flavor and HB and/or Missiles of some shape.

I think things should be the same across lists too so I tried to give everyone something as a compromise..

Ulrik wrote:
Just want to note that this is still the stat line of a Super Thunderbolt (better AA, better AT, better AP, better save). Oh, and init too, right? IIRC t-bolts are init 2+, while this, being a Marine craft, would be init 1+?

Yep understood Ulrik and like I said, I think 125 per plane is a decent beginning for those stats compared with 87.5 for a TB. They do still die fairly easily and most ground flak range is 30-45cm+. For now we'll try these and adjust again later - provided people will persevere with playing the list... :-\

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe we can revisit this if I manage to get airborne twin lascannon changed to 30cm AT4+/AA5+ :)
Note that 30cm AA is good because lots of defensive AA on bombers is 15cm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
Thanks Dobbsy. Those stats bring the A/c and formation back in line with current aircraft power while leaving the Eldar at the top of the power curve.

Really? silimar stats were offered and dropping of weapons were also mentioned but no traction. I'm glad of your 180 or maybe you missed my posts on the matter. ::)

Dobbsy wrote:
Like I said, mate, I'm sorry this has to be done but the endless argument isn't helping and going by messages several people have already decided to stop playing the list and that's not a good thing for the development of a list that's highly anticipated.

I think things should be the same across lists too so I tried to give everyone something as a compromise..

Well some people like to be broken records instead of trying to adjust. If people want to take their ball and go home instead of slowly working on the issues then so be it. Its not the first time in list development and I'm sure it won't be the last time. Look at Nids, Tau and AMTL, they had bigger fights on more issues. Tho's lists were Highly anticipated, DA not. It has been pulling teeth for development for YEARS, not till a half dozen guys, mainly Cal's group, gave interested did we get traction.

Honestly I think the Non AA Twin Lascannon with Twin Heavy Bolter would have been fine and better then mucking with the AMB that will need to be adjusted if Vaaish makes changes.

Ulrik wrote:
Maybe we can revisit this if I manage to get airborne twin lascannon changed to 30cm AT4+/AA5+ :)
Note that 30cm AA is good because lots of defensive AA on bombers is 15cm.

That's a good one. That imply you get the ERC to make an official change that effects multiple lists with no testing. I mean look at the now split stats of the Gatling gun from ATML and standard Warlords. They tested and came from the AMTL AC. You think they will even consider messing with the Twin Lascannon? lol

I'd like to see the Marauder in general to match again. All normal or all Heavy but the split lists is damn annoying. Just another way changing units and stats on the same type fracture E:A even more.

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
Well some people like to be broken records instead of trying to adjust.

Well, any thought of my trying to give testing a try died right there. Good luck with development, to those brave (and thick-skinned) souls that want to keep going through this.

Post subject: Re: Sv: Nephilim Fighter stats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
That's a good one. That imply you get the ERC to make an official change that effects multiple lists with no testing.

And after that I'll get them to change Russes to 3+ save (no RA, 50 pts) and support fire FF range to 20 cm!

More seriously it could be called a Nephilim Lascannon (30cm, AT4+/AA5+), and you'd have an interesting interceptor/tank hunter with AT/AA missiles. But I'll shut up now.

Post subject: Re: Sv: Nephilim Fighter stats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ulrik wrote:
Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
That's a good one. That imply you get the ERC to make an official change that effects multiple lists with no testing.

And after that I'll get them to change Russes to 3+ save (no RA, 50 pts) and support fire FF range to 20 cm!

More seriously it could be called a Nephilim Lascannon (30cm, AT4+/AA5+), and you'd have an interesting interceptor/tank hunter with AT/AA missiles. But I'll shut up now.

While I'd potentially agree on the Leman Russ front, I'm curious why you'd propose 20cm support fire range.