Login |  Register |  FAQ

Testing Sautekh lists [ongoing]

Post subject: Testing Sautekh lists [ongoing]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,
i started collecting mini killabots some years ago but only recently started to play the game for real (due to time, work,lack of opponents and my addiction to bloodbowl and AT2018) and as i happen to live in a shared flat and my flatmate is also a wargamer and just recently started a 6mm Steel Legion i can now play like once a week. We use the EA tournament pack and are right now stuck at 2050 is points due to the models available to him (soon to scale to 2500). He fields the following:

Steel Legion, 2050 POINTS
Steel Legion (NetEA Army Compendium v2014)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra

TANK COMPANY [650]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher

TANK COMPANY [650]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword

and i have tried severel version of a list (due to me having a larger collection i can swap some stuff). next trial will be at the weekend with the following list:

Incompertus, 2050 POINTS
Necron Sautekh Legion (Developmental V1.0)

TOMB COMPLEX [75]

WARRIOR PHALANX [300]
Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit, 2 Tomb Spyder

WARRIOR PHALANX [300]
Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit, 2 Tomb Spyder

IMMORTAL PHALANX [375]
Necron Lord, 6 Immortal units, 2 Triarch Stalkers

MONOLITH MANIPLE [250]
2 Monolith, Monolith

MONOLITH MANIPLE [250]
2 Monolith, Monolith

EQUES MANIPLE [300]
6 Heavy Destroyer

VENATOR MANIPLE [200]
6 Flayed Ones units

i really struggle against his two Tank companies as in i just can't kill them. So far i was even unable to kill one of em. Last Match was a 1:1 draw end of turn 4 the two games before that were straight 2:0 or 2:1 for him.
So any ideas how to tackle so much tanks? he has a commisaire in all of the formations too.. so he really can deal with the blastmarkers.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Testing Sautekh lists [ongoing]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yep the leman tank companies are a tough nut for any army. Necrons being a FF focused army maybe struggle a little more than most. The Sautekh list has some options to deal with the 4+ RA. The praetorians should do well as the tanks are trash in CC and the MW hits will negate their RA. That combined with supporting fire should be able to break them. The scythes are great at deplying those back up formations where ever you want. Also try to play to the objectives and take full advantage of LoS and cover. You will out activat him so can dictate the last few moves in a round which is a big advantage if you want to avoid engaging the tanks all together.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your opponent has only no scouts and 4 activations, which is unwisely few for the game size (recommended is normally 3-4 activations per 1,000) points. You should be able to out activate him and with your army having no units on the board at the start of the game and coming out of teleporting Monoliths you can control where you fight. Remember you can still come out of a broken Monolith's portal and if a Monolith formation breaks you don't have to run away from the eney but can move towards the enemy and end up in a better position for formations to emerge.

With your teleporting Monoliths and activation advantage you should often be able to position to get crossfire with the likes of your your heavy destroyers so he'll have -1 to his saves and an extra blast marker if he takes a casualty. Also as skimmers they might occasionally be deployed behind terrain in a position where they can pop up and shoot without being seen back unless the enemy move.

How are you playing your army? Necrons mostly win through assaults rather than shooting, though obviously you want to prep the assaults first to have blast marker advantages.

Necrons are a powerful army in Epic, but getting the most out of their strengths requires a good grasp of positioning and epic tactics and they're less recommended for a beginner to epic then other armies. I don't know if you have other more experienced players you can play and learn from but if not it could be an idea to learn the epic game and tactics using a second easier army (orks vs guard is the classic epic intro game match up) and saving the necrons for later when you're more experienced.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
Your opponent has only no scouts and 4 activations, which is unwisely few for the game size (recommended is normally 3-4 activations per 1,000) points. You should be able to out activate him and with your army having no units on the board at the start of the game and coming out of teleporting Monoliths you can control where you fight. Remember you can still come out of a broken Monolith's portal and if a Monolith formation breaks you don't have to run away from the eney but can move towards the enemy and end up in a better position for formations to emerge.

i have actually been doing this already ;-)but to no avail... might have something to do with my constant failing of the strategy check... last 2 games i lost out everyturn after the first in a row, he then activates and retains the initiative... effectivly going first with both tank formations breaking or outright annihiliating 2 of my formations. so bad dice aside, the firepower he fields with the retain action is just overwhelming at this point, and nothing i can match. Also due to room space issues we currently play on a 4x4 foot board... so range is not a problem for him i guess... he struggels with his activitaions that is true, but i cannot really capitalize on it.

GlynG wrote:
With your teleporting Monoliths and activation advantage you should often be able to position to get crossfire with the likes of your your heavy destroyers so he'll have -1 to his saves and an extra blast marker if he takes a casualty. Also as skimmers they might occasionally be deployed behind terrain in a position where they can pop up and shoot without being seen back unless the enemy move.
i tried to maximise crossfire today, it heled once but then i the next rround i got all shot up and could not really repeat the trick. with a commisaire in each tank company he really has little issue with the balstmarkerreduction in the endphase. i managed to kill the HQ in most games and some tanks (4-5 overall) but that is it mostly. Will look into the skimmer thing, but so far the terrain will not help here much (we use mostly the new AT2018 terrainstuff) but it is a good odea to utitlise it here.

GlynG wrote:
How are you playing your army? Necrons mostly win through assaults rather than shooting, though obviously you want to prep the assaults first to have blast marker advantages.
rather shooty so far, will try to go more towards engagements in the future... i can see that helping.

GlynG wrote:
Necrons are a powerful army in Epic, but getting the most out of their strengths requires a good grasp of positioning and epic tactics and they're less recommended for a beginner to epic then other armies. I don't know if you have other more experienced players you can play and learn from but if not it could be an idea to learn the epic game and tactics using a second easier army (orks vs guard is the classic epic intro game match up) and saving the necrons for later when you're more experienced.

i am used to the playstyle... i played a lot of Dropzone Commander Shaltari and thus am very used to the portal sheananigans, just so far i could not really bring it to bear because of the above mentioned issues. Also i do play wargames for quite a while now (20+ years and always in the spirit of tournament play). The only other army i could field at the moment is a rather ragtag tyranid one (i have to redo them, they were used for the first forays into E:A when GW still did it and were then a very rough "fan list"
other players are right now not an option due to lockdown, and in the future i don't know as we only have one other player owning epic minis at all in the vincinty here... also not experienced in E:A

atension wrote:
Yep the leman tank companies are a tough nut for any army. Necrons being a FF focused army maybe struggle a little more than most. The Sautekh list has some options to deal with the 4+ RA. The praetorians should do well as the tanks are trash in CC and the MW hits will negate their RA. That combined with supporting fire should be able to break them. The scythes are great at deplying those back up formations where ever you want. Also try to play to the objectives and take full advantage of LoS and cover. You will out activat him so can dictate the last few moves in a round which is a big advantage if you want to avoid engaging the tanks all together.

Preatorians is actually a really good idea... have 6 bases of them on the workbench right now and will see to get them done asap... the amount of attacks and MW reaaly could help! Thanks for the suggestion. Flyers i don't own so far. might change in the future but not in the near future.

we'll be having another round over the weekend, his list will stay the same (due to lack of other models) and i will try to adapt a bit more atm i am thinking about the following:

Version1, 2050 POINTS

MONOLITH MANIPLE [175]
2 Monolith

MONOLITH MANIPLE [175]
2 Monolith

MONOLITH MANIPLE [175]
2 Monolith

WARRIOR PHALANX [200]
Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit

WARRIOR PHALANX [200]

IMMORTAL PHALANX [325]
Necron Lord, 6 Immortal units, Tomb Spyder

EQUES MANIPLE [325]
6 Heavy Destroyer, Necron Lord

TOMB COMPLEX [75]

VENATOR MANIPLE [200]
6 Flayed Ones units

STALKER MANIPLE [200]
4 Triarch Stalkers

-> less spyders, more activations, and more monolithformations (but smaller) idea: not giving him juicy targtes for the tanks, so he can't use "all" the firepower. i.e. he can only shoot 2 of 3 Lithformations, giving me more room. plus i can space the portals better. Stalkers might get changed for another formation of flayed ones, but not settled about it. more units mean more chances to get crossfire going and the flayedones are able to self teleport without straiing the portals furter, also 1 such formation held in reserves til 3rd or 4th round means he has to spread his forces more to secure his backfield. important thing: in both options everything can be held in reserves and use portals when on the field. thus no other AVs.

Version2, 2050 POINTS

MONOLITH MANIPLE [175]
2 Monolith

MONOLITH MANIPLE [175]
2 Monolith

MONOLITH MANIPLE [175]
2 Monolith

WARRIOR PHALANX [200]

WARRIOR PHALANX [200]

IMMORTAL PHALANX [325]
Necron Lord, 6 Immortal units, Tomb Spyder

EQUES MANIPLE [300]
6 Heavy Destroyer

TOMB COMPLEX [75]

TRIARCH MANIPLE [425]
6 Triarch Praetorian Units, Necron Lord

one activation less but a really punchy gang of triarch preats in. might be my favorite if i manage to paint them up in time...

for what its worth, i'll add a list of stuff i own and can choose from so far:

12 bases Warriors (2x with charakters)
6 bases Immortals (1x charakter)
6 bases Triach praets (1x Charakter)
12 bases Flayed ones
1 base Overlord
2 bases Wraiths
6 heavy destroyers
6 Destroyer
1 Destroyer lord
2 C'tan
6 Monoliths
6 Ghostarks
5 Doomsdayarks
4 Triarch Stalkers
4 Tombspyders
Tombcomplex

i am waiting for the following to bolster my forces (will be printed and mailed some time in the next 3-4 weeks):
1x serapthek
1x Pylon 7
1x Aeonic orb
4x Sentrypylons

i wager well go to 2500 soon as he ordered some cavalry froam vanguard and will field 3 formations of them along his current list... to help out with scout and activiations. will see how it goes then.

But keep the comments and ideas coming, i really appreciate the input!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*resurrection orb activated*

so i do play again.... this time against space puppies... but to no avail... last time (3k) i got tabled in 3 turns... i can't seem to handle any enemy armour at all...

i tend to field too much infantry (and suck at engagment and armour rolls) and too few firepower against vehicles... thus i changed the list to the following:

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS

WARRIOR PHALANX IN GHOST ARKS [275]
3 Ghost Arks, Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit

WARRIOR PHALANX IN GHOST ARKS [275]
3 Ghost Arks, Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit

IUDICIUM MANIPLE [250]
5 Doomsday Ark units

EQUES MANIPLE [325]
6 Destroyer, Necron Lord

MONOLITH MANIPLE [300]
2 Monolith, Monolith, Obelisk

MONOLITH MANIPLE [300]
2 Monolith, Obelisk, Monolith

TRIARCH MANIPLE [600]
6 Triarch Praetorian Units, Necron Lord, Cryptek character, C'Tan Shard

AEONIC ORB [600]

TOMB COMPLEX [75]

my opponent thends to field a ton of landraiders and a reaver... so i hope that gets me somewhere... will try to take some photos and notes of the battle this eve...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:54 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Not sure the monolith formations are going to do much work for you since you only have 2 formations that can use them.

Tomb complex seems not the most useful for the same reasons as above.

The orb is a beast, its utility is dishing out Blast markers, not as effective against marines but still a serious threat.

Really looking forward to.hearing how it goes though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

atension wrote:
Not sure the monolith formations are going to do much work for you since you only have 2 formations that can use them.

Tomb complex seems not the most useful for the same reasons as above.

The orb is a beast, its utility is dishing out Blast markers, not as effective against marines but still a serious threat.

Really looking forward to.hearing how it goes though.

so in short:

way better than before with some caveats:

Orb was useful especially with the blastmarkers (did nothing else most of the time) as well as beeing a portal.
praets did their job this time but i will remove the ctan (as he slows them down tooo much)
Monos i struggle with: they appear per teleport and usually act once and then remain being shot and broken most of the game. sure i can use the portals but with the loss of the monos as active formation (inkluding firepower etc.) i really have few uses out of them... same with the tomb complex... i considered it an autoinclude but might change that in future lists.... good work did the warriors in ghost arks... those were way handier than the footsloggers.
the doomsday arks suffered the same fate as the monos: being shot at un dthus beiing suppressed and broken most of the time... destroyers suffered from their usual: i cant hit with my gun syndrome and considering they are fragile and expensive i might end up replacing them...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

finally seeing some light, played several games in the last weeks against Death Guard, Vraksian Traitors and Steel legion... won most of them and finally could work my head around the way this army and game works... did not change the list much so far (removed the ctan and the Destroyers for some other stuff which seems to work better like stalkers and some extra goodies or the occasional Pylon or flayed ones)
will post a new list soon with the next game in sights...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Darios wrote:
finally seeing some light, played several games in the last weeks against Death Guard, Vraksian Traitors and Steel legion... won most of them and finally could work my head around the way this army and game works... did not change the list much so far (removed the ctan and the Destroyers for some other stuff which seems to work better like stalkers and some extra goodies or the occasional Pylon or flayed ones)
will post a new list soon with the next game in sights...

Yeah, bit of a learning curve with the list. Once you get the hang of it then its you opponents that have to adapt to defeat you.