Login |  Register |  FAQ

Necron playtest list for 2015

Post subject: Necron playtest list for 2015
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Going to need some help with this one. I would really like to resurrect this discussion and try to breath some new life into the Approved list.
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=24555&start=45

I'd also really like to advance the Sautekh list to Developmental status. Not quite sure how this is officially done and what criteria is required. I have got a few people who are starting to really contribute though they are for the most part quite green and want everything to get better and cheaper right away :spin.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Necron playtest list for 2015
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:25 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

You will have to concentrate on one or the other for a push. Eldar B-T changes are being reviewed now with a big push for a Iyanden List to follow. Second half of this year I want to look at completing the Squats, however will try and help out.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:51 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ahh ok thanks for the heads up. In that case I'd really like to progress the Sautekh list. I agree with your assessment about the approved list, while it can be annoying to face it is relatively balanced. Since I've got interest in the new list it makes the most sense to capitalize on it and leave the play test changes on the approved list for later.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:40 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

This is version 1 of the Sautekh Legion [Developmental] I've done extensive play testing of it and tweeked it the best I could, though I've mainly faced Marines (BA, Codex, Wolves), Guard (Steel Legion), Orks (Ghaz) and a couple games against Tau. It has a hard time against Guard with their arty and large infantry formations, is pretty evenly matched against most Marine lists and does quite well against Orks and Tau (though the few games against Tau, Dobbsy had some unbelievably bad luck with the dice). PFE100 has done a bunch of games against the Iron Warriors which I read and all seem to have come down to points. Two wins for the necrons 1:1 on points and one win for chaos 1:1 on points. Would be very interested to see how the list fairs against Eldar and a titan list. I have a feeling it will struggle a lot against titan lists, especially AM/TL.

Please have a look over and feel free to make any recommendations/criticisms, no rush.

Attachments:
Sautekh Legion v1.0.pdf [352.05 KiB]
Downloaded 275 times

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

First Question - Living metal is now only used on War Engines. Is it worth keeping the rule or just giving them all Inv Save?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tiny-Tim wrote:
First Question - Living metal is now only used on War Engines. Is it worth keeping the rule or just giving them all Inv Save?

An invulnerable save (assuming you mean a 6+) is quite a downgrade from LM. LM is still on Monoliths as well as the 6 War engines (Pylons, C'tan, Warbarque and Harvester engines). If you mean a 5+ or even 4+ invulnerable then that will drastically increase the save chances for units against non MW/TK shots. I tried a couple games using LM as normal RA with a 5+ inv (when it was suggested to Borka last year) and in many cases it was better particularly against marines who don't have much MW outside of CC (which is generally moot anyways against Necrons).
Unless you are proposing adopting the UK version of LM with a 4+ invulnerable and no RA. This would make LM only slightly better than plain RA, the real difference being how it changes with regards to MWs. This change would make the War engines very vulnerable and over costed.
My opponents always disliked phase-out and portaling to reserves more than LM , which was pretty cheesy. I think LM is fine how it is, its the Necron Equivalent of holofields.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:28 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

More wondering if we can do something to remove a special rule which is only for six units in this list.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tiny-Tim wrote:
More wondering if we can do something to remove a special rule which is only for six units in this list.

Not quite sure how without massively having to change the list. Did you only dislike it in this Sautekh list or all Necron lists? If all that would be a big can of worms and I'm not sure that I could get enough play testers to submit the required Batreps to make that happen, it would require rejigging everything. Especially since the approved list is so dependent on the portals. I also am not sure we should deviate with stats any more than I already have between the two. Most of my efforts between V0.4 and V0.5 was to bring them closer in line without breaking the new list. Necrons are a tricky animal to balance and keep people happy.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

my beef is that LM is a special rule which overrides other special rules and to me that's inelegant

I also think it's annoying in that it neutralises MW which many armies, marines especially, pay a premium for

Having played against both the NetEA and EUK lists several times using much the same list build, I much prefer it as a 4+ INV, I found the NetEA version incredibly frustrating....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Do you know of any battle reports using the UK list? I don't mind giving it a try with the Sautekh list as they don't rely very much on monoliths. But I have serious doubts it will fly with the approved list as they are considerably more dependant on their monolith formations. Against marines it won't change too much but against lists like AM/TL, Squats, Eldar that have more easily attainable MW it would be a massacre. Also since LM would just be a 4+ inv would the war engines still have RA and get 3 x 4+ saves against normal shots? Or would nothing have RA? With no RA they'd have to drop in points considerably. I've never tried the NetUK version though I imagine it gets crushed quite easily. Most people agree while the approved list right now may be annoying to face it's quite balanced as it currently stands. Does LM bother you more than phase-out and portals?
With my proposed changes to broken portals. You can break the monoliths and it will decrease the potency of the portal assault out of them. Sure they will still be a pain to kill but it won't break the list.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

As always I am just trying to keep things simple.

EUK list has had mixed results - but mainly people feel that it is still one of the more powerful lists. Having a standard save (non-RA) and 4+ Inv just speeds things up and once an opponent sees it in operation it they seem to be happy. This just means that there are two dice rolls.

I would say that the rules are almost the same now in the Sautekh list but possibly with greater flexibility in the LM armour save roll.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:13 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I completely agree simple is best. I'll put some thought into it and I'll give the UK list a try and see how it fairs. From my experience though necrons generally perform very well against players who haven't faced them but perform poorly against players familiar with their antics. Do you guys know any veteran UK necron players I can talk to about how it performs?
I assume you guys read the report from PFE. Granted the necron placement turn one was insanely aggressive but they quite easily got crushed with the current LM. If they tried the UK LM it would have been a joke. Necrons would lose 9 games out of 10 against Iyanden. Though I suppose the same could be said about tyranids.
Any thoughts on how to balance the list with the UK LM?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

What about giving monoliths the "necron" ability and war engines "regeneration" if we adopted the inv 4+.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Veteran EUK Necron players - hi & also MikeT (who has more tournament games than me)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:18 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I sent a message to MikeT but haven't heard back yet.