Login |  Register |  FAQ

Transparent Bases

Post subject: Transparent Bases
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A random thought for the day... anyone used transparent bases? and their thoughts on it? Share photos etc?

I mainly do painting rather than playing and to put a bit of variety for each army by using different style for each. Tyranids were set in a rocky terrain, Orks are in a dessert/broken lands, Tau has been a high tech etc... just wondering if I should have went with a transparent bases. I'd like to take photos of two armies clashing without the bases standing out against whatever scenery I choose in the background, or even stand out against each other.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Transparent Bases
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've been painting a bit of Monsterpocalypse these past two years, which uses clear bases. I've honestly found them a pain. You get frosting when you glue things and you need to scratch up the glued service for anything to stick decently well. If you're only making contact to vehicles via their tracks I'd be extra careful when using or transport them.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

a few years back someone on here did a praetorian guard regiment using transparent bases. Also I think brummbar or similar has his 3d printed stuff on transparent bases.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have mixed feelings about transparent bases myself; they can look good, though I prefer modelled regular bases myself. I vary the basing a fair bit between my various armies and do different themes (jungle, urban, techy, etc) but I stick to steel legion drab as the soil colour for all so there's some continuity.

Dave - I think you can buy special variant superglue that doesn't frost. I forget what it's called (seen others talk about it but I've not used it myself). Or 5 min epoxy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the comments. It was an early morning idea with very little thought.

Material had to be thin enough so it didn't look like they were floating in the air. Also placed on scenery like grass, it'd just flatten it where the base would be. Just seems silly now to think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have gone into transparent bases myself by accident, when trying to find the cheapest material to make some, and i am gravitating more and more towards them. They look cool, they integrate a lot better with anything else, i save time on painting, and even GI/SM tanks on bases do not look that much bad.

Only gripe i have found till now is that they require some preparation to create some extra contact area for gluing them on the base for Dreadnoughts or similar, as there is less contact surface due to the lack of paint and sand.

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
a few years back someone on here did a praetorian guard regiment using transparent bases. Also I think brummbar or similar has his 3d printed stuff on transparent bases.

Yeah, Brumbaer has everything in clear bases and it looks gorgeous. http://www.brumbaer.de/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I have to admit, that looks much, much better than I was expecting.