Login |  Register |  FAQ

‘Truescale’ Dominatrix WIP, ideas/feedback?

Post subject: ‘Truescale’ Dominatrix WIP, ideas/feedback?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I’ve quietly been doing lots of work on my tyranid army recently and have started working on some bio-titans. I’m using a 40k Maleceptor (a large psyker beast) as the base model for my Dominatrixes (I’m going to have 4 in my army):
Attachment:
2017-10-08-1058 (2).jpg
2017-10-08-1058 (2).jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 3296 times ]

Attachment:
2017-10-08-1059 (2).jpg
2017-10-08-1059 (2).jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 3296 times ]

Attachment:
2017-10-08-1060 (2).jpg
2017-10-08-1060 (2).jpg [ 704.84 KiB | Viewed 3296 times ]

It’s a bit on the big size (it's on a 120 by 90mm base) but I’ll live with it. I think the model looks in the ballpark compared to my other titans yeah? The Hierophant there is DC4 5++ while the Dominatrix is 6DC 4++ so it seems reasonable for it to be bigger. I’ve also recently ordered a 40k Tyrannofex model to make a Hydraphant and that’ll be a much easier conversion with just a different head and gun arms.

The below is a pretty rough mock-up of some ideas I have so far. It’s not to scale as I don’t have all the bits yet and some bits might not work and have to be altered.

Attachment:
WIP (3).jpg
WIP (3).jpg [ 191.1 KiB | Viewed 3296 times ]

The visible brain matter in the side seems appropriate for the unit’s command/psyker role but I’m probably going to cut the 3 rows of spines off to make it thinner and more closely match the original.

I plan to cut up the body from a second Maleceptor and add it flipped around towards the back, so that the overall body shape is closer to the old model rather that it being so forward heavy. This is going to require a fair bit of cuting and green stuff and be challenging to get to look right!

I'm going to swap the large claws on the 40k Maleceptor with something smaller, more like the epic model. Probably claws from either a 40k Carnifex or Hive Guard would do the trick.

I’m thinking of using the Exocrine head, on a longer neck if I can find appropriate parts, with side prongs like the old model.

Anyone got any good ideas for the gun? I’ve ordered a selection of tyranid guns to try on the model but I’m really unsure about the back area where the gun sits on top of the Dominatrix’s back and joins to it. I’ve toyed with using the gun and mounting plate from a Pyrovore but I don’t think it’s that great an idea?

Ideas for the cot thing on the back and its occupant? Someone else converted one from cut up tyranid claws and I don't think that’s such a great option but it's the best I have for the moment. I considered just cutting off the part from the old epic model and sticking that on top, but it’s too small. I’ve toyed with using a hive tyrant body and head with green stuff wires/tentacles around it, or maybe an old metal epic zoanthrope head?

What’s going on with the odd fleshy banner type things on the old Dominatrix? Are they meant to be decorative or some kind of psychic communication array? I might stick a pair of the head sword things from Swarmlord heads in place of these unless anyone has any better ideas. Or maybe a pair of back spines from a Neurothrope instead? Those are rather creepy looking.

Suggestions / ideas / feedback welcome! :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: ‘Truescale’ Dominatrix WIP, ideas/feedback?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I'll certainly be watching this thread!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting work. In gold the Dominatrix is a superheavy, but are are modelling it titan size?

Best
Jens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the Epic-UK Tyranid list it's identically as tough as the larger of the two Bio-Titans in the list (or slighly tougher than an unshielded Reaver Titan to add to the comparison) so yeah I'm modelling it titan sized.

I'd ideally have modelled in at maybe 80% of the size I'm using but just found a good base model and went with it. I imagine differntt hive fleets could evolve and grow differently and produce larger models against the toughest threats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Been watching your bugs with interest. Looking forward to seeing this develop...

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The horde is gradually growing :)

Attachments:
_20171009_142249.JPG
_20171009_142249.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would not mind it being some what larger. Im torn, maybe I think yours become to big for my taste. Do you have true scale warhound you can size compare with? I like your model, but it seems so large even next the titan. If you cut off the side spines, as you mention, do post more pictures.

best
Jens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't have a truescale Warhound put together but you can see a truescale Warlord behind it in one of the photos.

I guess this might as well be the progress thread for the modeling it, but it'll probably gradually happen over months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great... that gives me a sense of its size. I have a true scale lucius warlord in my bitz box (its slighty warped, it fell of a truck with miscasts).
Looking forward to se more it :)