Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Epic Ork Clanz

Post subject: Re: Epic Evil Sunz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Soooo, time for another update. Not as much as I wanted to show, but I had some serious commission work this weekend so couldn't paint much.

But first, some history ;)

Way back in the mists of time, I was a beardless young pup and my cousin introduced me to the wonderful world of toy soldiers. My first White Dwarf was issue 188, the Tyranid launch issue, but it also included a rather evocative battle report. Featuring lots of titans and gargants, I was enthralled at the scale and visuals of the game (of course, being an idiot, I thought the models were 28mm, so boggled at how you painted titans at that scale, look how far we have come, where the titan is now a feature of 40K tables the land over :( )

Anyway, the Orks and their crazy clan format really tickled me and I was convinced I was going to collect a clan based Epic army (once I'd seen the models in my local GW (Bath, back when it was on upper borough walls). Sadly, after one box of Orks and some Gutrippers, GW pulled support of the game :(

So, here we are, twenty one years later. I worked for GW for a few years, through the re-issue as Epic Armageddon, and played a bit of Epic 40K. But I never really painted as much as I wanted to.

The plan going forward is to paint up as many clans and card formations as I can get my grubby mits on. While I will mostly play E:A when I get the chance (I've never actually played the Space Marine era, blasphemy I know) , I want my force to be comprised of clan cards because it looks cool.

Obviously I am starting with Evil Sunz as I love them (I do occasionally ride bikes, though not fast as I don't heal when I fall on my head) but I plan to do a mixed army of Goffs, Moons and Sunz, though hope to get all six basic clan cards painted at least plus what support I can.

If anyone has any old Ork models they are not wanting, I am always on the look out. I'm keeping a close eye on fleabay, but prices are off the chain at the moment, though I have picked up a few bargains here and there. In particular I am really after the tanks, especially the Goff and Sunz ones.

So, here is the new stuff anyway.

Evil Sunz Biker. I'm going to add some banners once I get some new drillbits, my .5mm broke a while ago

Here is the family shot so far.

Here is the Kult Of Speed card. As you can see I am missing two buggies at the moment. If anyone has two going spare (and a single wartrak too) I'd be open to discussion.

I was pretty happy to find a classic metal wartrak and two bikers in an ebay auction I had picked up a few years ago (its where the dreads came from, and there are a couple more exciting bits for the future), and I'm pretty pleased with how that stand came out. They are far more detailed than the plastics (who knew?) I love the Nob's hat.

Final shots for today, some basic boyz from my Deathskulll mob. I've nearly finished the rest of the boyz, but still plenty to go.

So, that's it for today, thanks for reading and hopefully there will be some more bikerz by the end of the week.

Cheers
Jon.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Wonderful work!! Great colour scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Awesome!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent work !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More! More!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes!!!! WD188 is what got me started too! That was a good'un: in fact I went and eBayed a copy so as I can have it forever!!!

More fantastic work; happy to see so many people continuing to turn our excellent epic scale work; makes me excited for when I get back into the hobby again.

Just a word of advice from someone who's painted a lot of Epic and tried keeping my quality as high as possible: be careful of burn out! Set yourself sensible limits at this scale; all of the above min's are topnotch and quite unique in style but I'd doubt my ability to keep that up across a whole army. Working slowly and with care is the key I guess (and I can tell that you are!); get Zen on those mofo's!

In no way intended as criticism; I really want to see as much of this as posible!
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Ryan.

I tend to flit between projects to avoid burnout, and I get enough regular comission work that painting my own toys is enough of a novelty to keep me amused ;) I totally see what you are saying, but I guess, I always to paint my own kit as best I can as I'd rather spend the time and money once, than do a half arsed job. Hell, I stripped the deathskullz buggies so I can repaint them in this better scheme.

Its a lot easier and rewarding painting 6mm than 28mm in some respects too. The buggys take an hour or so to paint, whereas these days, while I can churn out "tabletop" minis in a few hours, the standard for my personal armies means it takes me days to paint even a basic line trooper ;) so having them be so small means I get stuff done.

I feel a lot more rewarded by painting older figs too, feel like I am dealing with a little bit of history (which I guess we all are now GW has abandoned us and we are reduced to trawling ebay and carboots and the like, always searching for that motherlode cache of toys).

Now, if I dissappear for another five years and you don't see anything else out of me, you have my permission to say I told you so .

I think the other thing is, after five years of being part of the PP comp scene over here, I'm just a bit tired of super compy games, and the endless race to keep up. I still love my warmachine (like I mentioned, I run Europes largest PP event, for fun!) but its nice to be a part of a community that is more focussed on the love of the game, as opposed to the cut and thrust of top end comp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The awesomeness of these models is only exceeded by their awesomeness.
Please paint more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers guys. I painted some more this weekend, but not enough to show yet. Most of my hobby time was taken up with building a Bad Moon clan card out of some eBay figures I won that needed a bit of love.

I almost got to play a game too, but not quite :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awesome paintjob! Compliments.

Orkonia: http://goo.gl/j6Q3v
Hive Cassius: http://goo.gl/vJSxA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Time for some more photos.

First up, the first two Trakks for my Kult/Trakk support card.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And a stand of Goffs to test out the scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice!

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next