Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

6mm Sci Fi!

Post subject: Re: Vermin of Gorgades
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Cool!

Primarch

Thanks P!

bertnernie wrote:
Really good to see you posting again.

I like the command stand a lot. It looks like you have a plan for that base too.

It's a shame about the gobbos. I was thinking of getting some, but since I don't need them, and they sound frail I might leave it.

Thanks! Its easier to remind myself that not everyone needs to be a games workshop certified heavy metal golden daemon winner painter, Just being able to make tabletop quality is enough for me, as its the 'taking part' that I enjoy the most, and its my illness that tells me that I'm not good enough and makes me want to chuck it all away. Some times posting here helps with that, other times it makes it worse!

Dont be too disheartened by my micro review! Ive had many people tell me their gobbos are perfectly fine, So I do wonder if I have just gotten a bad batch, and had some dodgy ones! The ones that are ok are fantastic sculpts. It might be worth asking on the troublemaker thread. I should really have done so ages ago, I just never seen to get round to it!

Blip wrote:
Good stuff. Keep it up!

Thanks Blip! I will try to!

caregadras wrote:
OMG!!
Go! Rex! Go! Go! Go! That glory!

FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPEROR!

Sorry for so blatantly stealing your idea, I will try to be more original in the future, but your terrain is so fantastic Its hard to come up with something that you haven't done before ten times better!
Lets just prey for some dry sunny weather sometime before my holiday in the new year so I can spray this beast!

johnboyire wrote:
let me know if you end up in ireland, a few epic players in dublin and up in Belfast
daemonkin wrote:
Let me know if you make it over to Ireland. I am in Belfast and happy to travel for Epic games.

D.

Thanks guys! Though we will almost defiantly buying a home in the south, hopefully when I'm settled and back in work I can sort out travel and can also travel too and from, and fingers crossed, what would be even better, I will have plenty of room of room to be able to make a permanent and large gaming table/room! (much better than the corner I have at the moment!)
very much looking forward to moving and having a whole country to explore! I just hope we can sell our house in time! (of which I have already claimed a sizable amount of the profit to spend solely on miniatures!)

I'm hoping my missing CinC models show up soon (the store I ordered from were out of stock and waiting for a reorder from the states) as I'd really like to paint much more for my human forces, but for now I have plenty to be getting on with. Need to make some kind of template for the road markings so I can start painting my roads!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 6mm Sci Fi!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have renamed my thread to include all my Sci-fi, as I'm jumping around projects so much I cant stick to just the rat army.

I have painted a ton of fantasy minis since the new year, but so much basing put me off finishing them for now.

Been a but put off working on much of my Sci Fi stuff, but fancied doing something a little different, So Knocked up a Hacker/terrorist character mini. The purple trench coat is a lot more purple in real life, and his hair is less extreme in the shading. But I do feel he is missing something. I have toyed with the idea of making some kind of pipe bomb to sit by his feet but haven't been able to make anything that looks pipe bomb-ish yet, with out being stupidly oversized.

I will re-shade a couple of bits once its completely dry, and need to repaint his boots matt black as the are now more silver than black. I'm thinking of making a couple more of these guys with the same kinda of basing scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Wow, that is so cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So Ive been AWOL for the last three months. I will try not to complain too much here as I have done so already else where and don't want to clog up every forum with my misery. But I am trying to get into the swing of things again and so forced myself to start painting again.

The finished Orc 'chopter. I love the basing scheme but I don't think I have the patience to do it for the entire army, as fun as it would be!
I found it a little dark no matter how I took the photo but they are ace little models with loads of detail. You just cant see it all with the shadows here.

A WiP of a ruined imperial building. Not sure if it is lacking anything else before I add rubble to it all. I am thinking of adding one more small bit of flooring off center as it seems too uniform right now. The building is from Battlescene designs. I originally made the floors by hand, but replaced them with the textured plasti card when they didnt look quite right.

Think I may have finally gotten my Death guard scheme down to one I actually like, and not the awful mess of my first 100 attempts. I am unsure if I will go for rusted on the base as well, I feel it would add some more colour to it (these old minis are really small for adding rust!)
I don't want to base them all one per base, but as a test I don't have enough minis to spare to do full bases all the time.

I have been thinking that I might be able to make more nurgle marines by using the two part mold that you can make in hot water, and with green stuff but I dont know if it will work at this scale. They might be just too small to work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very Cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

RexHavoc wrote:
Think I may have finally gotten my Death guard scheme down to one I actually like, and not the awful mess of my first 100 attempts. I am unsure if I will go for rusted on the base as well, I feel it would add some more colour to it (these old minis are really small for adding rust!)
I don't want to base them all one per base, but as a test I don't have enough minis to spare to do full bases all the time.

that base just made my day! I've been scratching my head for how to base my emperor's children and you just nailed it, gonna totally steal that idea of the ruined girders/pillars/columns (probably to the point where I may PM you for some tips ;D )

Quote:
I have been thinking that I might be able to make more nurgle marines by using the two part mold that you can make in hot water, and with green stuff but I dont know if it will work at this scale. They might be just too small to work.

are you referring to oyumaru AKA 'instamould'? if so, I wouldn't bother, it's actually not soft enough and doesn't get between legs very well, it also has a very short working time before it hardens and I could never get the two mould halves to align well as the stuff doesnt flow into keys very well.... I would recommend trying 'siligum' by gedeo, it's a two part silicone putty that you can mix by hand, get it warm and it's really soft, also has a couple of minutes working time so you can carefully smooth it out between details like legs and so on, works with GS, resin and metal quite well, you may want to consider making a mould box from lego and making a plug to really force the putty onto the model under mould (currently working on some moulds of my own)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello RexHavoc,

fantastic Work. I especially like the Ork Chopper. You really bring the Details of the Miniature to bear. I had to look at my own (unassembled and unpainted) to certify that my have the same Level of Detail.

Greetings,
Heinrich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Very Cool!

Primarch

Legion 4 wrote:
Nice work !

Thanks guys! :D

kyussinchains wrote:
RexHavoc wrote:

that base just made my day! I've been scratching my head for how to base my emperor's children and you just nailed it, gonna totally steal that idea of the ruined girders/pillars/columns (probably to the point where I may PM you for some tips ;D )

Quote:

are you referring to oyumaru AKA 'instamould'? if so, I wouldn't bother, it's actually not soft enough and doesn't get between legs very well, it also has a very short working time before it hardens and I could never get the two mould halves to align well as the stuff doesnt flow into keys very well.... I would recommend trying 'siligum' by gedeo, it's a two part silicone putty that you can mix by hand, get it warm and it's really soft, also has a couple of minutes working time so you can carefully smooth it out between details like legs and so on, works with GS, resin and metal quite well, you may want to consider making a mould box from lego and making a plug to really force the putty onto the model under mould (currently working on some moulds of my own)

Haha, it will be a bit like Da vinci asking for advice from a 6 year old with a box of half chewed crayons, , but feel free to pm anytime you like! I should have some more basing in the same style, but with other bits n bobs very very soon. But happy to share any top secret tips!

Thanks for the mold advice. I will look in to it, thanks for stopping me from buying the instamold though, Im on too small a budget to afford buying things that wont work right now! I will research the stuff you have suggested over the weekend! Thanks again!

Heinrich wrote:
Hello RexHavoc,

fantastic Work. I especially like the Ork Chopper. You really bring the Details of the Miniature to bear. I had to look at my own (unassembled and unpainted) to certify that my have the same Level of Detail.

Greetings,
Heinrich

Thanks!! ;D

I swear the guys at troublemaker have stopped making 6mm minis, and are now just shrinking full scale 28mm ones down to size! Their quality has shot up in such a short space of time, and it was pretty damn good in the first place! I'm sure given another year and we will have working engines in our skinner models! ;D

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Made a big start on the frame work for my plague marine 'blood factory'.

The 40k ladder part will be converted into a conveyor belt, leading into the lower part of the building which will be filled with blood and bodies.

The tower entrance will be on a separate base allowing for the whole thing to be rearrange for more versatility. The main entrance to the factory and the entrance leading on to the gangway will be shortened to be more in scale.

I am unsure if I will fill the windows in on the tower, if I dont then I need to add in another internal floor, which will be a lot more work as the inside details need to be dremeled out, and will be more of a pain to paint.

The gang way needs to be made a few mm larger as of now I can not fit a small stand on it, and it is slightly too short. I am thinking of magnetizing it underneath as well.

There will be a 2nd tower which will twice as high, which will attach to a smokestack which will also have a snipers nest.

It took ages to dremel out all of the details so that the floor would fit right!

I will more than likely add more bodies to the inside walls, in a HR Giger fashion, with cracked paint and rust on the outside.

Will not be making the lower floor, as it will be covered with mechanical workings, but I will probably add something to suggest it is 'there' like windows or a doorway.

The main entrance will need a ramp to lead down as the main entrance is on the 2nd floor! but it allows for more interesting paint scheme and will have room for rhinos to traverse.

The 3rd floor will be the roof, but instead of a full floor, I will be just making the walkways around the edge, as to not hide all that inside. I will leave that removable as well, so I can add another floor in the future if I want.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Sweet!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool !!!! :spin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very cool.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like this set up of terrain.

You mentioned a lot of ideas about how you're thinking of doing things. The gangway between buildings looks great, and once it is wide enough for a unit to cross it should be perfect. You mentioned either needing to fill the windows, or to do drilling on the inside. I don't understand why it is necessary to do one or the other. If you're going for effect for effort, you're possibly better filling the windows, since they can be seen from far away. If it is for gaming on mostly, then either is good, but keep in mind it is frustrating to get a model out of a place that you can't easily put your hand in to.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks all!

Bernernie, I need to either fill the windows or add inside details because of the scale issue. Once you add a floor in the center of the piece, it looks gigantic, but in scale with 6mm guys (at least I think so!) If I do neither and just build the tower as is, I looks a lot more like a 40k bit plonked down with epic stuff. Which is fine in a lot of cases, but some of the building panels have some tell tale signs that really give away the scale, such as lights, doors, windows. Even the height of a control panel can look out of place against 6mm. The larger piece is easy as once it is finished there will be enough 6mm detail added to make it look right. The tower is too small to really add anything to the inside, (as the roof will not be removable on this part) but you would still be able to see inside! (those windows are large!)

its just a lot of work, especially if I add a floor inside. The inside needs to be drilled out, the floor then needs adding, and then its a bit of fiddling to get everything to fit flush. It to an age to drill out all the detail in the main building, some of that 40k detail is really thick, but it felt worth it because the floor space allows me to do all sorts later on!

Small micro update:

lots been done, but it doesn't look much different, but I swear I have been gluing like mad!

Firstly, the walkway has been extended and increased in size to support a base. I couldn't make it big enough for the long bases as it would have been way to large then, but it has increased the overall foot print by another inch, but I think its looks better for it. Detailing to the walkway is done, and it is magnetized.

I will think of some way to add gubbins to the underneath to hide the support platforms and the magnets, probably a mixture of pipe work and cables.

Had to do a lot of trimming of the main building to get the floor to fit in snug, and Ive had to remove a lot of door parts on several doors to make the doors half the size, so they look less 28mm and more over sized 6mm.

Tried to add lights to the small tower, but My lights were too large and not bright enough to really make an effect so I will leave that for another project another time.

I will probably start work on the smoke stack/sniper tower next so i dont get too burnt out working on the same area for ages. I have also decided to not add anything that depicts one chaos god or another, as too be able to use it for all walks of chaos, including my space vermin. I will instead magnetize statues and decorations so I can swap them out (between nurgle and rats) plus that way I get too build more cool bits!

Im going to to give it a day or so to dry and then I am going to decide if it needs to be braced or reinforced as its pretty sturdy once you have all the floor layers in, but I dont want the floor to buckle over time.

I have some pretty good ideas of how I am going to paint this but still deciding on what industrial style paint scheme I am going for. I am thinking of dark green outside and a redish brown inside/floor. I have brought some specialist paint to paint this but so far Im still experimenting with the paint to get good effects in small scale.

The spaces between the walkways will need to be filled with green stuff and have texture added by hand as I couldn't get it to fit snug with out damaging the doors, and I wanted the doors as they are. But that means I can have a space for more hazard stripes!

Edit: I just wanted to point out that yes, I do use an allias on facebook, for those that have seen me post this in the epic group, but was curious why my name is'nt what I say it is! Some one was curious about it before, and I didnt want to keep explaining it! Call it essential and necessary paranoia!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next