Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

Available 6mm ranges

Post subject: Available 6mm ranges
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In keeping with our desire for models I thought a handy hyperlinked list of suitable 6mm stuff might be handy. So here is a few ranges, feel free to add more underneath, I can update this list and if its of any use maybe it can be pinned.

So

GW Epic.
GW FW. Yes, getting cheaper relative to GW every day! )
FW Aeronautica. Yes I still think its not 6mm!

15mm.co.uk. No personal experience, are those infantry too tall? Experience to the contary suggests "6mm Crusaders as Tau Firewarrior proxies." And expert opinion says they are 9mm, which is about what they look!
Adler. Again no personal experience, is it 6mm? the infantry look a touch large.
Brigade. Some nice stuff.
C in C. Yes, they do a very few sci fi bits as well.
Command horizon. Likewise.
DRM. More excellent stuff.
Dream pod Nine, mostly the wrong size but some stuff link the little chaps at the link might be good.
Exodus wars. No more need be said.
Force XXI miniatures.
Fortress Figures. No longer openly for sale, but if you email the chap he can still make them. Prices range from $0.50 to $1.
Graviton Warrior. A new addition.
Game Figures Inc. A range of aliens and terrain at the moment.
Ground Zero Games. The Big One. For many UK 6mm sci fi gamers these chaps were the first and certainly the biggest range for a very long time.
Hall of ancient warriors. Who are these chaps? From a search on the net.
Ironfist They aren't GW models, honest :) But are a new range of super heavies for 6mm.
Ironwind. A bit too 10mm even for Epic? Some think not.
Irregular - yes, they do 6mm too. No doubt in the same style as their other ranges. I
can't bring myself to buy any to find out though. I quote from below "suitable for a high contrast impressionistic painting technique."
MAATAC. Originally released by 'superior', know nothing about them.
Ogre. The vehicles work, the infantry is too big.
Majic minitures. Currently UFO centric but with more in the works.
Old Crow. Did these used to be Ainsty stuff?
Plasma blast games, some details int he announcement thread hopefully.
Reapers CAV has stuff which many people have used successfully, especially for Navy assets.
Reaver from Tac-Com has done a fair bit as well.
Reiver Casting is relatively undetailed focusing on armour, but some potential for civilian vehicles or L&D transports?
Reviresco. The 'days of empire' range. Pretty poor I feel but odd ad mech vehicles maybe.
Scotia stuff. Only ever seen this stuff at shows.
Sues Little Bits. Early reports put them at nearer 9mm.
W.i.l.d.fire robot spiders with guns.
ZandrisIV Miniatures, anime style ogre miniatures alternatives, as well as Homeworld ships and other models.

Buck Rogers gun pods as recommended by Javelin here.
Konami. Out of production Eagle Transports from Space 1999 are fantastic. You have to search for them though!

GHQ The best for 6mm vehicles (well even a bit smaller than 6mm potentially depending on how you judge the scale of 1:285!).
Navwar. Ok not sci fi, but still a useful place to browse if you want to spend all your money and can drop by the shop. In fact a useful prompt for other 6mm stuff to come in!

Armorcast is doing 6mm terrain
Game Craft Minitures mostly terrain.
Mainly Military Sci FI buildings.
Snapdragon. Now OOP.

General Plumer, 191x

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Old Crow merged with Ainsty, IIRC ... Old Crow is planning to do 6mm Slammer AFVs also ... Fortress makes some nice 6mm Sci-fi AFVs. If O/C didn't make 6mm Slammers I'd buy Fortress and do a a little conversion work. I'm not that impressed with Irregular and Scotia 6mm Sci-fi when you can get E/W, DRM, GZG, etc. ...  Never heard of Hall of Ancient Warriors !? :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for that!
I've tried to make a list for myself also, I'll see if there are links I can add to here.
Good to know that 6mm hammer slammer is planned from old crow, I like to see the halftracks they make in the 6mm scale, looks very orky to me :)..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good list!
Perhaps add BattleTech (Iron Wind) to it?
And also 15mm.co.uk? They both have 6mm and Alien-ASL.

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

is it just me or do all the Dirtside vehicles from ground zero games look like they are from "Tron"? Especially the lightcycle and MBT.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They have a very broad range of vehicles and troops.
But yes one, DF-X03, look abit like from Tron. Just as the Forge World Tau Tetras does. Sort of.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ 27 Sep. 2008, 23:28)

Irregular - yes, they do 6mm too. No doubt in the same style as their other ranges. i can't bring myself to buy any to find out though.

Irregular's stuff is definitely their own style.  They details of most of their stuff is very deep in its engraving (if that makes any sense).  So they're suitable for speed painting and the using of washes and quick side of the brush damp brush highlighting.  I can't think of too many Epic applications, but those flying dreadnought miniatures are fantastic.

My opinion of Irregular?  Hit and miss-- suitable for a high contrast impressionistic painting technique.  Getting realism out of them is very hard.

Brigade. Some nice stuff.

They have a cartoony style bug line of miniatures for those thinking of tyranids.  I think if they were painted up like real work insects, they'd look pretty disgusting (but in a good way).

15mm.co.uk. No personal experience, are those infantry too tall?

From what I've seen, they're not too tall.  I know at least one person has posted pictures of their 6mm Crusaders as Tau Firewarrior proxies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BTW, good list TRC and yes BattleTech/Ironwind certainly has some nice 6mm stuff also ... I Saved this thread as it covers most of the 6mm Sci-fi out there.  And Old Crow is now working on the 6mm versions of the Slammer's M2 MBT and M9 Cbt Car. Others will follow, probably the Hog SPFA. And then  possibly/maybe some of the other Merc units.  But I'll be happy to get a TF of M2s, M9s, Hogs and GZG 6mm Slammer(NAC) Grunts on skimmers   And kick some G/W  "silly Fluffy" butt !! :mad:  Big Time !! :O

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:33 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Ironically, the 6mm miniatures on the 15mm web site are actually 9mm!  ???

They are too large to mix with other 6mm companies, but do make good Tau proxies when you dont have this scale reference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Cyber~, always good with correct information.
Hm... Then they are almost on par with CAV and it's 10mm, right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some 10mm AFVs and Aircraft fit fine with 6mm, IMO. Some stuff is just BIG and the 6mm infantry next to it reflects that.  :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I often forget just how relative scale can appear.  The 15mm.co.uk stuff that I've seen in person looked just fine as 6mm, but it was all there was on the table.  I've never seen it mixed with other manufacturers.

Even GW is pretty inconsistent.  If the chaos space marine stood up, he'd be like 9 mm too:

http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/ar ... ecomps.php

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have some pics of the new Irregular sci-fi infantry, which I can post tonight when I get home.  It's better than I'd anticipated.

I can also post a size comparison of a large smattering of Brigade Models's vehicles.  I bought one of each of a lot of their main items a couple of years ago, just so I could see how they looked in the flesh, as it were.  I'll pose a couple next to a Rhino and Land Raider so you can get a sense of the size.

I also bought a sample pack of the Adler stuff, but I have to find it again before I can post any kind of pics.  I actually really like the style and detail of the Adler stuff;  the issue is the height, as their bases make them fairly tall.  It probably won't be an issue alongside the steroid-induced nature of GW's minis, but alongside some 6mm stuff they may appear to be walking on platform shoes.  I do think some of the Adler infantry would make good proxies for Tau fire warriors, as well.

The Fortress Figures GEV tanks are a great deal.  Very inexpensive, decent detail, and indestructable.  I have about 40 of them I bought for my Dirtside forces.

On Hall of Ancient Warriors, I've emailed them in the past and never received a response.  I would be wary of dealing with them unless they started actually responding to email.

On Scotia -- please, please can someone post pics!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's a shot of the Fortress Figures GEV's alongside a Rhino and Marine:

Plus some painted shots (the pics are a bit dark, thanks to my lousy digicam):

Heavy Tank (10 for $10):

Light Tank (20 for $10):

APC (20 for $10):

And they're easy to convert (the pic of my engineer vehicle didn't turn out):

Mortar Carrier:

C3 Vehicle:

And here's a shot of Irregular's "new sci-fi" infantry (humans on the left, aliens on the right);  the four-man stands are the standard infantry, while the two-man stands are the support weapons:

More pics as I find the models.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those Fortress AFVs are very nice ! Very Tempting !  That Irregular Infantry doesn't look bad either. Thanks for the pics ! :cool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next