Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

AxelFendersson's new painting log

Post subject: Re: AxelFendersson's new painting log
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More Eldar. First up, six Firestorms. Like the Warp Hunters, these are forumware turrets on 3D-printed hulls. I already had 3 of the old Forge World models but wanted to have a few more and also, for consistency, wanted to avoid the 'type-2' hulls, so I assembled these to both supplement and replace the ones I had.

(Click for larger image.)

As I mentioned before, the one problem with my forumware Lynx models is that they're significantly bigger than my E40k-era Engines of Vaul. In order to use the two together without looking silly, I needed to print off some new EoV in the new style and scaled consistently with the other models. I've started with these Scorpions.

Finally, I have a new Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God. There's nothing particularly wrong with the Swordwind-era Avatar model I already had, but this model was so good that I had to have one. It's a W40k model that I've scaled down and I've taken some liberties in doing so; rather than reducing it to 20% of W40k as standard, I've printed it at 35% instead. That's mostly because I was worried that if I went any smaller I'd lose too much detail (and leave what was left much too tiny to paint). But also, given that the unit is supposed to be a DC3 War Engine, so I figure having it at a similar size to a SHT or Scout Titan makes sense. The resulting model is 52mm tall to the top of her hair and 63mm to the top of the spear.

At this point I'm not entirely sure how much of my Eldar army I am planning to re-do. Previously the plan was just to add the extra grav-tanks from the Yme-Loc list, replace the SHTs and Titans with properly-scaled versions, and to replace the Night Spinners and Fire Prisms with modern versions for consistency. But it's always bugged me slightly that my Wave Serpents have Starcannon rather than Shuriken Cannon, so it might be nice to re-do those to make them WYSIWYG. And Lord_Chronos' Aspect Warriors, Guardians and Rangers are so nice that it is quite tempting to do some of those as well. By which time there won't be much left that I haven't replaced!

Regardless, it'll probably be Cobras next.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Sounds like the Eldar army of Theseus. Has anyone done a Vyper yet?

The tanks look great. One of these days I'll head back to the Eldar, they're some good looking models.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haha, yeah, if I do go for it with the infantry then this will pretty much end up being a new army that just happens to re-use a few models from the old one. I have seen an STL for a Vyper although not sure whether I'll bother re-doing those.

Your Eldar were gorgeous, so I'd love to see some more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, Army of Theseus it is. I've bought all of Lord_Chronos's infantry models and have started printing some new Wave Serpents with Shuriken Cannon turrets to replace my old Forge World models with Starcannon.

But before I get to those, I still had the other Engines of Vaul to do. So here are a pair of Cobras and a pair of Storm Serpents.

Next up will be Aspect Warriors. This time around I am planning to paint up warhosts of eight units each rather than troupes of six, so that I can use the army more easily with the Biel-Tan army list as well as Alaitoc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

very neat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looking good. Ya, 8 strong formations for maximum re-use between lists. Are you going to magnetize the Exarchs?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks chaps. While magnetised Exarchs would be the way to get the maximum flexibility out of the fewest models, I think it might be a little bit fiddlier than I want to deal with. For now I think I'm going to just go with the maximum of two per warhost and if I find I really want to take a warhost with fewer Exarchs than that, it will have to be one with more than one warrior type in it.

I have painted up the first such warhost, the ubiquitous Dire Avengers:

Fire Dragons next, although it has occurred to me that I also need a way to represent a Master Bonesinger in either a Falcon or one of the Engines of Vaul, so one of those might jump the queue. And it's possible I might decide to do something non-Eldar-related for Orktober as well. But we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As promised, here are the Fire Dragons:

These were my first attempt at using Contrast paints. They seem to work quite well although I'm not sure I've entirely got the measure of them yet. I have a few other pots that I hope to try out on some of the other Aspects.

Talking of which, the next Aspect Warhost will probably be Swooping Hawks. Before that, though, I shall probably do some Falcons. I do now have a custom vehicle for the Master Bonesinger, but looking at it again this afternoon when I tried to take a photo, I think it actually needs a bit more work. So that, along with a few regular Falcons, will likely be next.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:46 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

They look good. Great progress.

I've used a handful of contrast paints, they vary drastically from color to color. Some cover well and other amount to a wash.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks! Yeah, of the two shades here, the orange (Gryph-Hound Orange) was really good and did the whole 'contrast' thing with the recesses clearly darker than the raised areas. The yellow (Imperial Fist) covered fine but was quite flat. They both benefited from a Seraphim Sepia wash over the top, with some additional highlights on the yellow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A break from Aspect Warriors now with this Falcon Troupe.

I didn't really need to re-do these, as the old Forge World falcon models were pretty good already. However, these designs from Lord_Chronos are slightly sharper-looking, so I decided to re-do them anyway.

I also put together this variant Falcon for the Master Bonesinger to ride in. I replaced all the metal Type-2 falcon hulls on my forumware Warp Hunters and Firestorms with 3D-printed ordinary ones as I didn't want to have amix of the two types across the army. However, this meant that I had several Type-2 hulls spare and using one to indicate a character upgrade seemed like a good idea. The turret is 3D-printed; I remixed the aerials at the back to further mark out the vehicle as unusual.

I've made a start on both a Warhost of Swooping Hawks and a second troupe of Falcons; I don't know which I'll finish first.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By a very narrow margin, it was the Swooping Hawks that were finished first.

These models are lovely designs but I do have some serious concerns about their fragility. I've already had a couple of breakages and I suspect that they may struggle to survive if I try to actually use them in games. To some extent this is a general issue with resin printed models, but the only-one-foot-on-the-ground poses of these models makes them particularly vulnerable. Printing them at 80% has probably made them even worse.

The Falcons are also done.

At this point I now have almost everything I need for the GT next month. I will need to re-use some Guardians from my old army, but everything else will be new. I am intending to print and paint some new Guardian Warhosts, but I'd like to wait until Lord_Chronos designs some new Farseer and Warlock models to go with them.

I also need to find a way to represent the Spirit Stones upgrade from the Epic-UK lists, so some sort of marker for that will probably be the next thing I'll do for the army.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

These look utterly stunning, great work!

Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh at the GT :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

They look great.

The Forge World Falcons suffered from a fragility problem as well. When I converted my falcon turrets I ended up beefing up the fins with forumware Wave Serpent fins.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I remember well the fragility of FW resin for Epic models. A few of my old Falcons have some slightly dodgy repairs where aerials or pulse lasers snapped off, and I have a couple of Wave Serpents that I never even painted because the front of the shield generator snapped off and got lost. These new resin prints are also fragile, but I don't think they're any worse.

I never had any resin infantry, but I can imagine they must have been a nightmare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next