Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

AxelFendersson's new painting log

Post subject: Re: AxelFendersson's new painting log
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moving on into July, and there's one more Infantry Company, this time on foot. I actually painted the Ogryns back in March along with the other two stands, but didn't photograph them until they had a formation to attach to.

(Click for larger image.)

Finally some Bombards, the only original GW metals to feature in the army. I've actually had these models for years, but I wasn't planning to use them for this army and was going to use some 3D printed ones instead. In the end I decided that I preferred these models, so I converted them slightly to give them the hull-mounted heavy bolter that they have in the rules and then painted them up.

Finally, I painted up this second Leman Russ Company, bringing the army total up to 8,500 points.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So at 8,500 points, the army is finished! I have to admit that it isn't the best-looking army I've painted. I deliberately based my approach to painting these models on trying to get large formations done quickly, and as a result they are a bit flat and don't 'pop' as well as they might. On the other hand, they don't look bad, and 8,500 points in 5 months is pretty good going even if I say so myself.

One thing I hadn't photographed yet was these Commissars. For almost every formation I've modelled and painted up an additional unit with a Commissar in it. The only exceptions have been the Supreme Commander and Super-heavy tank formations, where I assumed that I would always take a Commissar and so didn't bother with the option not to take one, and the Deathstrike Missile Launchers, where I didn't have enough parts to kitbash a third unit and it seemed unlikely that I would take a Commissar for that formation, so they don't have one. Otherwise I have the option to include one or not in every formation in the army.

What I don't have yet is any photos of the whole army together. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take some later this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That's a crazy ammount of painting for 5 months. They look great. L9okong forward to the army shots.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking models! :)

You wouldn't include a commissar with Deathstrikes though? Odd. For me my Deathstrikes will always have one to try and keep the tactically valuable but fragile formation viable a little longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, that does make sense. I still don't have the bits to kitbash another one, though, although I guess I could convert one of the existing ones if I really find myself missing it.

Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:01 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

AxelFendersson wrote:
8,500 points in 5 months is pretty good going even if I say so myself.

:sos think that's more than a manage per decade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK, so here's the army in its entirety:

And here are a few detail shots:

I have to admit that the photos aren't that great; I think I need to experiment a bit with the camera settings on my phone to try and get some slightly clearer shots.

Under the Epic-UK Steel Legion list it comes to a grand total of 8,500 points:

REGIMENTAL HQ [775]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Fire Support Platoon plus transport (4 Fire Support and 2 Chimeras), Snipers plus Transport (2 Snipers and 1 Chimera), 2 Ogryns, 2 Chimera

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [650]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Fire Support Platoon plus transport (4 Fire Support and 2 Chimeras), Hellhound Squadron (3 Hellhounds)

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [550]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hellhound Squadron (3 Hellhounds), Griffon Battery (3 Griffons)

INFANTRY COMPANY [300]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 2 Ogryns

TANK COMPANY [825]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher, Tank Squadron (3 Demolishers)

TANK COMPANY [650]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher

SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [500]
3 Baneblades

3 Shadowswords

ARTILLERY COMPANY [550]
9 Basilisk

ARTILLERY COMPANY [550]
9 Manticore

ROUGH RIDER PLATOON [150]
6 Rough Riders

ROUGH RIDER PLATOON [150]
6 Rough Riders

STORM TROOPER PLATOON [350]
8 Storm Troopers, Valkyrie Transport

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Bombards

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

DEATHSTRIKE MISSILE BATTERY [200]
2 Deathstrike Missile Launchers

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Baneblade

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra

VULTURE SQUADRON [300]
4 Vultures

1 Stormhammer
1 Stormblade
1 Stormsword

Of course, that last formation doesn't actually exist in the Steel Legion list, but the units could proxy as Baneblades or Shadowswords if absolutely necessary.

This is the first army I've done with a significant number of 3D printed models, and I feel like I ought to thank all of the designers whose work I've used here, particularly Miffles_makes, JanZizka, Woddish, Mkhand_Industries and Tdoesepic. All the printed models in this army were made using free files, and I am really grateful to all the designers who are producing this material for the community.

Next up I'm hoping to do a few more Chaos Titans to go with the Ravager. After that I'm planning on revisiting my Eldar. As well as more '6mm truescale' titans, I have a variety of additional units I'd like to add and a few that I'd like to re-do. I also have Tyranid and Tau armies waiting in the queue. And one day I'll finally get around to those Orks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Sweet. So is it done, done? Or are you adding Navy and Mechanicus assets at some point?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, it's done for now anyway. For Titan support, I already have these guys and for the navy I have these, so I don't feel the need to add any more at the moment.

I'm not sure to what extent any army is ever really done, done. There's always the possibility that I'll feel the need to revisit them at some point in the future, either to add something or to re-do something that I decide I'm not happy with. But for now at least, it's done!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, with the Guard finished, its back to re-doing Chaos Titans in 'truescale' 6mm. This time it's a pair of Ferals.

With the Ravager done back in March, that only leaves the Warplord to do. However, I am increasingly distracted by Eldar, both in Epic and in Battlefleet Gothic, which I have recently been drawn back to having last played it way back while I was still at University. So while the Warplord is coming, it may be a little while before I get around to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Cool, so they're nearly twice FWs size then but less than ATs?

I have some Craftworld Eldar for BFG that I picked up for cheap a couple years ago. They're nice models. I've only played BFG a couple of times though, are space game of choice was Starmada back in the day.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, they're 5cm tall which I believe is about 80% of the AT plastic Warhound. They're significantly bigger than the old FW Lucius Warhounds although not double; I think the FW Warhounds were a bit bigger than the older metal ones. These are almost exactly the same size as my Werewolf-made forumware Warhounds. They're on 60mm bases.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those the Miffles Makes lucius titan?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, that's right. Mostly, anyway. The head is from a collection of Chaos bits and the Death Storm is a mashup of the VMB and the barrels of the Gatling Blaster that I also used for the Death Storms on the Ravager. The Doomburners are spare metal Inferno Guns from my forumware Warhounds. But the rest is Miffles' Lucius Warhound, scaled to 80%.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I promised Eldar, and here they are. Having re-done my Imperial and Chaos Titans in 6mm 'truescale', I figured I ought to do the same for my Eldar, starting with these Revenants:

The models are mostly Werewolf-made forumware, but the original pulse lasers were very thin and incredibly flimsy, so I replaced them with 3D-printed ones that are hopefully a little bit sturdier. When 3D-printed parts are the less fragile option, you know something's wrong!

I do have a Phantom and Warlock also in the queue, but before I get on to those, I'm painting up a few other vehicles. I'd like to try using the Epic-UK Yme-Loc tank list (although I'm aware it's considered to be underpowered), so I needed a few of the more unusual grav-vehicles. I started with these Warp Hunters. The hulls are 3D prints (designed by Lord_Chronos) to which I've added metal D-Cannons from the forumware models. I went down this route as I wanted to avoid using the 'type 2' falcon hulls that the forumware models were based on. If all the models in the army were type 2 that would be fine, but I didn't want to mix the two types together.

Next are these Hornets. These are forumware models that were my prize for winning Judges' Choice for Best Army at a tournament in 2017. The fact I still had these waiting around to be painted is part of what prompted this expansion of the army in the first place.

Finally, a couple of forumware Lynxes.

These are great models but do present a problem. My current Eldar SHTs are all the late-90s versions, which are fine models, but they are also noticeably smaller than these Lynxes.

Consequently I now need to paint up some newer versions of the SHTs so that I can use them alongside the Lynxes without them looking silly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next