Login |  Register |  FAQ

Compendium of "Collector's Models" Point Values

Post subject: Compendium of "Collector's Models" Point Values
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:38 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Perhaps I confused myself a little. What I meant was, that it would seem best to allign the unit with its closest existing EA unit as a guide to its own points values, not as 'counts as'. For example, the Slaanesh Riders are similar to Rough Riders, so lets start the points value there and adjust to fit their strengths/weaknesses compared to IG Riders.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[quote="nealhunt,04 Nov. 2005 (14:39)"][/quote]
We want their value compared to other Epic units.

Agreed, and playtest is the only way to finalize that value. So in the interum, to give folks a place to start from - I came up with a quick way to establish base playtest values for the tanks in epic _based_ upon value differences we can calculate in 40K as all of these tanks have an assigned value there.

After all, we gota start somewhere... of course these numbers are not the final numbers we will settle on...

But how do you answer what the value of that collector epic unit is when compared to other tournament epic units?

My methodology would be:
1) assume base value
2) playtest
3) adjust points as issues arise
4) repeat steps 2-3 as necessary.

My recomendation above only solves task 1) without involving emotion or anything else - just takes something we know about (point value differences in 40K) and uses that value against something else we know about (existing tanks in Epic) and yeilds a base value to start playing epic collector tanks with.

Is it quick and dirty - yep. Gota start somewhere though!

Why go back to potentially irrelevant 40K values when we have a large body of established Epic point values which already take into account the differences in scale?

We don't have to. We can shoot from the hip, take stabs at what we 'think' they should be... we can do all kinds of things. My suggestion is just that - one of many suggestions to get a base points value to start working with. Take it or leave it. :)

My goal was simply to establish a _basis_ of percentage difference between known values of the same tanks in a different system. That percentage difference in points in one system should be close to the percentage difference in another system. I'm not saying its a pure science, just a starting point for discussion and should get you close.

So if you know the value of a thunderer siege tank in 40K vs. the value of the demolisher in 40K, you can come up with a percentage difference in points value that the thunderer goes down. Admittingly, this is in teh 40K system. But once you have that *percentage* difference in value you can then use that percentage difference to a tank you know about in Epic.

We know how many points a demolisher costs in Epic. and we know the percentage difference in points that a 40K thunderer and demolisher have between them.

The calculated percentage difference in points is multiplied by the known comparable Epic tank.

As a result, you get a Epic point difference based upon a known Epic tank value.

Of course, this all assumes that the relative difference in values of tanks in 40K is basically the same relative difference in values of Epic tanks.

Anyway, it was just an idea to get a _basis_ of value to work off of.

Doesn't mean the idea was worth a hill of beans. That's for you guys to decide. :)

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:39 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

As always, the point values in a formation will tend to vary somewhat with composition and size.  These are just some rough guesses for starting points.
=========

Imperator titan
Values have ranged from 1500-1900 or more.  I would put it at ~1600, but I would have no objections to 1500 as a starting point.

Heavy Bolter Chimera
Plasma Cannon Chimera
Heavy Flamer Chimera

I think all the Chimeras are close enough in ability to be exact changeouts, i.e. 25 points.

Salamander?Command - 25
Salamander Scout ? 25-30

Didn?t the Salamander Command have Transport (1) in the playtest rules before it was removed?  I think it probably should have it.  In any case, I still think the Command is 25 points like the other Chimera variants.  It has lighter armor and less/no transport but very nice special abilities.  The Scout seems just a touch better than the others and a bit better than the Siegfried (which has similar stats and role).  It might need to be ~30 points if in a dedicated formation.  It could probably be 25 points as an upgrade to another formation.

Gorgon ? 50 points
Twice the transport, a bit over twice the toughness and very good but short ranged fire compared to the Chimera.

Medusa ? Same as Griffon, slower, half the range, but 3x the firepower.  Normally, I would use a difference in firepower like that to boost points, but 15cm is very restrictive.  It also needs a note that it can indirect fire at less than 30cm.

Earthshaker Weapon Platform ? 65 points, or 3/250 w/ 3 Trojans
Manticore Weapon Platform  ? 65 points, or 3/250 w/ 3 Trojans
Hydra Weapon platform ? 40 points, or 3/150 w/ 3 Trojans
Trojan ? 15-20 points
I think these versions are clearly better than the Siege IG versions on all counts.  I think that either of the arty pieces w/ Trojan transports would be about equal to self-propelled versions in the IG list.  They have a lower armor save and potential problems with mobility but would have 2x as many units.  Hydra should have 45cm range as the self-propelled version.

Mole Mortar
Rapier (Siegemaster or rulebook stats officialness?)
Tarantula
Thudd Gun (Again siegemaster or Rulebook stats?)

I say use official, published stats whenever possible.  I think all of these are 25 points.  That?s their value in the Siege IG list, a very close approximation in the AMTL list, and if you compare them to a stock IG troop stand, that?s about right, too.

IG Beastmen ? 15 points, identical to Mutants in L&D
IG Assault Troops ? 15 points
IG Bike ? 15 points

Using a similar point-scale as comparing SM tacticals to Assaults and Bikes, I?d say they are virtually identical in points to stock IG infantry stands.  The SM versions scale down points slightly, but they also lose more firepower than IG do and the IG bikes gain some armor, which SM bikes do not.  All those point values assume they will be fielded in relatively large formations (probably 8 as a bare minimum).

IG Robot (Variants?) ? 25 points.  Compared to SM dread, it?s slower, less CC, same armament, lesser initiative, but picks up Fearless.  Compared to its ?counts as? Ogryn, it?s less armor, less CC, and slower, but is AV/Walker and Fearless and has a decent ranged shot.

Leman Russ Conqueror
Leman Russ Destroyer
Leman Russ Executioner
Leman Russ Thunderer

I think these are all downgrades, and significant ones at that.  I would suggest starting at 50 points (compared to 60-65 for regular Russ), but that might be too expensive.

Mole
Termite

Problematic for the same reasons as drop pods, i.e. stat line, but a question about whether they have a real in-game effect.  I say price them both at 5 points per troop stand carried (as drop pods are effectively) and let them work the same way.  5/unit might be pricey for the IG, but they don?t need to buy a spaceship to use their Tunneling (Planetfall) ability, so I think it?s a good place to start.

I?ll take a stab at the Imperial WEs at a later point.  I don?t have time right now.  I?m probably not a good judge of the aircraft so I won?t even try those.

Megagargant          1400?
I put the Mega at ~1300.  I think jaldon puts it up around 1500.  I have a vague memory of someone making a case for the 1100-1200 range, but I can?t recall for certain.  I think it?s at least a couple hundred points below the Imperator.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:44 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

My recomendation above only solves task 1) without involving emotion or anything else - just takes something we know about (point value differences in 40K) and uses that value against something else we know about (existing tanks in Epic) and yeilds a base value to start playing epic collector tanks with.

If you want to use a mathematical formula, the square root rule is going to be about as fast and more accurate because it is referential to the same system.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Imperator titan
Values have ranged from 1500-1900 or more.  I would put it at ~1600, but I would have no objections to 1500 as a starting point.

I also rememeber that it had a higher estimated points value at some point. However I also feel that with the "no split fire" restrictions it is a lot of points to put in a single formation which is going to have a hard time paying for itself in combat.

Heavy Bolter Chimera
Plasma Cannon Chimera
Heavy Flamer Chimera
I think all the Chimeras are close enough in ability to be exact changeouts, i.e. 25 points.

Sounds good to me.

Salamander?Command - 25
Salamander Scout ? 25-30
Didn?t the Salamander Command have Transport (1) in the playtest rules before it was removed?  I think it probably should have it.  In any case, I still think the Command is 25 points like the other Chimera variants.  It has lighter armor and less/no transport but very nice special abilities.  The Scout seems just a touch better than the others and a bit better than the Siegfried (which has similar stats and role).  It might need to be ~30 points if in a dedicated formation.  It could probably be 25 points as an upgrade to another formation.

I think you're right. I'm still using a Salamander as my command transport in Steel Legion  mechanized companies.

Leman Russ Conqueror
Leman Russ Destroyer
Leman Russ Executioner
Leman Russ Thunderer
I think these are all downgrades, and significant ones at that.  I would suggest starting at 50 points (compared to 60-65 for regular Russ), but that might be too expensive.

Again I agree. The most obvious downgrade is the Thunderer compared to the Demolisher. However the rest are pretty fast compared to a Russ. Not sure how big an advantage that it in the long run.

Gorgon, Medusa, Gun platforms

haven't had much practical experience with those but again it sounds like a very good place to start.

Mole
Termite
Problematic for the same reasons as drop pods, i.e. stat line, but a question about whether they have a real in-game effect.  I say price them both at 5 points per troop stand carried (as drop pods are effectively) and let them work the same way.  5/unit might be pricey for the IG, but they don?t need to buy a spaceship to use their Tunneling (Planetfall) ability, so I think it?s a good place to start.

I have a thing for those tunnellers. Personally I'd like to see them a bit more differentiated form Drop pods. Especially the Hellbore is beggin for some extra rule IMO. I'd love to see it given a 1BP TK attack with a large orbital barrage template where it surfaces to simulate the earth litterally dissapearing beneath the feet of anyone in the way. If so it shouuld probably be a bit more expensive.

Megagargant          1400?
I put the Mega at ~1300.  I think jaldon puts it up around 1500.  I have a vague memory of someone making a case for the 1100-1200 range, but I can?t recall for certain.  I think it?s at least a couple hundred points below the Imperator.

Again it is tricky. It is a very shooty unit but all that firepower can only be directed at a single formation at a time. It should definitely be worth a couple of hundred points less than the Imperator but I'm not exactly sure how much.

Cheers! :)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neal,

Tactica takes hat off

looks like a great place to start!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've updated with the latest input. It might need a nicer format though.

I was thinking a bit regarding the Thudd Guns and Mole Mortars. The old Adeptus titanicus models did have Space Marine crews. How significant would you reckon that the TSKNF rule would in terms of points value compared to an IG equivalent with the same basic stats?

Cheers!

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:27 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think they would have a higher armor save if the crew were wearing power armor.  They would have a 1+ initiative, and it could be argued that they deserve a higher to-hit roll if crewed by marines or at least a better FF.

At a rough guess, putting them in a Marine list (5 strat, 1+ init, TSKNF) with 5+ armor would put them into the mid-30s point range.  Upping their assault abilities would make them roughly as shooty as marines with slightly worse armor.  That's 40-45 points, assuming they received free transport as marines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does anyone have an idea for Lightnings?
Is this Compendium being worked on elsewhere?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Air is a whole 'nother ball of wax.  The biggest problem I know of is the Lightning's autocannon.  If we did a direct translation, it'd be a 75cm AP6+/AT6+/AA6+ shot, with 45cm AT4+/AA4+ Twin lascannons as backup.  Air was intentionally nerfed in the early design stages (to avoid making it a Must-Have), so we need to reduce that firepower appropriately.

I believe that FW proposed in IA3:
Autocannon 45cm AP6+/AT6+/AA6+  
Twin Lascannon 45cm AT4+/AA4+
2x 'Hellstrike' (60-75cm) AT4+ (I'd rather see those as AA)

It's also a true fighter, much lighter than the TBolt.  As long as a TBolt is a Fighter, there's no reason to take a TBolt.  In all honesty, I agree with the 2DC Marauder 'bomber', a 'Fighter-Bomber' TBolt, and making the Lightning a 'Fighter'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe that FW proposed in IA3:
Autocannon 45cm AP6+/AT6+/AA6+  
Twin Lascannon 45cm AT4+/AA4+
2x 'Hellstrike' (60-75cm) AT4+ (I'd rather see those as AA)

The autocannon is correct. Twin lascannons have 30cm range and both guns are fixed forward arc. The hellstrike have a 120cm (!) range and are one-shot.

Then there is the Lightning strike variant which exchanges the autocannon for one more Hellstrike.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Air units generally have their weapons reduced in range.

===

Incidentally, do we have a volunteer to consolidate all this stuff and put it in a form CS can post as a document?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We're going on holiday stand-down here.  I'll have quite a bit more free time the next two weeks.  If y'all could email what's been done so far, I can translate it into a .pdf and email it back to CS for hosting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 15 Dec. 2005 (14:59))
Air units generally have their weapons reduced in range.

Yep, but this was about the stats given in IA3.  :8):