Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Ambush special rule

Post subject: Ambush special rule
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:55 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

This thread is to discuss the following proposed rule - from Baduin.

The last proposition is not rule change, but a facultative rule. I think it would make the game even more "realistic" or rather probable or plausible.

At present it is very easy to retreat from an enemy unit, even if it is very close. In reality it is one of the most difficult and dangerous manouvers. Additionally, it makes it more difficult to use close combat units. (It has also good side, as it requires more strategy from the close combat player.)

I would add the rule "Ambush".

If the only enemy formation within 15 cm of the player's formation that is not broken and had not marched makes a move, a double or a march action, or if it makes marshall or hold action and decides to move, the player can declare an ambush. The enemy formation doesn't make a move, but instead counts as assaulting the player's formation. The ambushed formation (counting as the attacker) cannot make charge moves. The ambushing formation (the defender) can make countercharge moves as normal. After that both formation fight an assault according to normal rules. If the ambushed formation wins, it can make the declared action (move, double etc).

A formation consisting only of scout units cannot be ambushed. The ambush cannot be combined with the overwatch fire by the same formation.

In this way, a formation cannot simply move away at full speed from a close enemy. It needs to get other formation to provide covering fire. It can also declare engage action and move away - it would represent a formation sneaking away, sacrificing speed and fire for a chance to break contact.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I don't think it's a good idea.

From a realism standpoint, I'm not convinced that it's entire accurate.

From a gameplay persepctive, it's going to make for more static games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm with NH.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got to go with the "Boyz" too ... and again ... "Muddying up the H?O " !  And IMO E:A is good, very good for the most part, but still a bit unclear in some areas ... leadership, morale, C/Cbt ... off the top of my head. We'll continue to use some of our ideas.  But Maksim's "Planetfall" system, though still WIP, has some very good concepts in those areas and others.  Plus we still like some of the SM/Epic rules of random missions generation, Templates/TO&Es, Off-board Support, Over-the-Top, etc. ... my 2? ...    :;):

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tactica @ 03 Nov. 2005 (15:25))
I'm with NH.

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I guess that this suggestion is not accepted in general. Therefore, to keep things simple and tidy, I am closing this thread without adding this proposed rule to the next document. Any variations on this rule to be put forward should be stated in a new thread. Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]