Login |  Register |  FAQ

Damned good drive, Michael...

Post subject: Damned good drive, Michael...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A post to celebrate the last race of Michael Schumacher. And what a race! Today he showed the world just why he goes with 7 world championship.

I' ve been a Ferrari and F1 fan since I was a child... my first, and unfortunately very sad, distinct memory of F1 is the death of the great Jilles Villeneuve at Zolder, in May 1982, when I was 9.
I kept watching F1 for the two following decades, marking the darkest period for Ferrari. Enzo's leadership slowly fading away, his death, the reorganization... 21 years without winning the title. Meanwhile, legends like Prost and Senna were battling; and Ayrton Senna winning a WDC with a Ferrari was a dream which never came true due to his premature death.

Then came Todt, followed by Byrne, Brawn, and Michael Schumacher. Already a 2 times WDC, he came to Ferrari to help build the strongest team in F1 ever. And he did just that.

Not only a super-class driver, but also a team leader, he never failed to thank everyone working alongisde him for the job they did to hand him the car he needed. And they knew they were leaving the red baby in very good hands indeed.

The 2000 WDC was bliss for me. After 21 years, Ferrari was back on the top. Thanks, in no small part, to this man, and the ruthless determination he has put into every aspect of his job.

There are some things in his career I do not like. The attempted punting off of Jacques Villeneuve in 1997; the obviously illegal Renault car he was driving in 1994.

But the wonderful drives he gave to the world, the talent he has shown for all these years, the emotions he has raised far outweigh any negative.

So... thank you, Michael  :cool:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:58 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

For me Schumacher falls into the same category as Senna - a superb driver but somebody who had no sense of fair play or regard for those around them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I may be a bit biased as I am german, too but he's one of the best F1 drivers ever imo.
Some of his actions are questionable, but nearly every driver had some bad records in his career.
He's a true fighter and he could turn a near-loss to a victory again.
And his last race showed that clearly: Placing 4th although being the last one during the race. That's remarkable!

Epic Section on my HP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, Schumacher?the driver I love to hate.  I still remember him ramming Damon Hill all those years ago.

Great driver of course, but I hesitate to call him the greatest ever, despite the stats ? sure he beat Prost?s win record, Senna?s pole position record and Mansell?s record for wins in a season, but those three were racing one another.  

Shame he's retiring though, just as Formula One had got interesting again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Every great driver, *EVERY* single one, has his fair share of what you could call questionable actions.
Fangio won one of his WDC by jumping in the car of his teammate, robbing him of the race, after his own car failed (it was still allowed at the time). Prost and Senna punted off each other in two consecutive years. You simply cannot become one of the all-time greatest of F1 if you do not have the kind of total, ruthless determination to win that these people exemplify.

As for the greatest ever... that's impossible to say as the conditions are too different. I mean, I could name Tazio Nuvolari, and he never even raced in F1 as he came before that.

But 7 World Championships and 91 wins in today's environment... damn impressive, this is for sure. He marked this era of F1, and will go down in history as one of the all-time greatest. Of this, I have no doubt.

As for Formula One.... next year we'll hopefully have an Alonso-Raikkonen fight (though if McLaren can't sort out the problems it could become a Ferrari redwash). Perhaps Massa could have his say, too, if he manages to achieve consistency. And Kubica looks like he's made of the stuff of champions; can't wait for him to get a top drive and see what he's capable of. So all in all, things look interesting for the future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Not to the extent that Schumacher has - and many of his actions are not questionable but downright cheating.
The acceptability of ramming people and suchlike was started by Senna and Schumacher took it to another level.

Fortunately the new wave of stars - Alonso, Kimi, Massa and the future stars - Kubica, Vittel, Hamilton, Piquet seem to embrace a hard but fair attitude.

Schumachers 'few''questionable actions'

Stops F3 race by parking accross track

Rams Hakkinen to Win Macau F3

Rams Damon Hill to take Title after terminally damaging own car

Ignores Black Flags

Rams Jacques Villeneuve to try and take title

2004/5
Pushes Alonso onto grass at 200mph at Silverstone

Parks across track in Monaco qualifying - tries to make out he lost control of car at 15mph

Also he seems to be strangely involved a lot with illegal cars - he has been disqualified/had illegal car in 1990(f3), 1994, 1999 and 2006

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Uhnn.... I won't keep going on after this post, as I can clearly see we have vastly different opinions and this could turn ugly. Just a few replies:

The acceptability of ramming people and suchlike was started by Senna and Schumacher took it to another level.

Not true. Prost rammed Senna the year before Senna returned the favour back; in fact, Senna stated even before the race that, should the occasion come, it would have been payback time for Prost. Besides, these were hardly the first or only two "questionable" racing accidents ever to appear in F1. Coulthard willingly slowing in the middle of the trajectory in full rain and with greatly limited visibility at Spa, costing Michael the race and, in the end, the championship, immediately comes to mind.

Rams Damon Hill to take Title after terminally damaging own car

While this is probably true (we'd need to know the drivers' thoughts), all Hill had to do was wait for the next turn. Hill set up the accident situation himself and Michael gladly obliged.

2004/5
Pushes Alonso onto grass at 200mph at Silverstone

When racing for position, slamming the door shut is a totally fair maneuver, IMHO. No different than HUNDREDS of other occasions. Michael himself has been subjected to it a few times, with the most recent example being Raikkonen in the last race.

As a related remark, I do not like the "sissification" of F1, where drivers are actually supposed to drive like they are 18-years old in driving school. Some of the legendary duels of the past (like Arnoux-Villeneuve, France '79) would be probably deemed illegal under today's rules. Bah.

Parks across track in Monaco qualifying - tries to make out he lost control of car at 15mph

Utterly asinine and patethic decision by the FIA which basically ran a trial of intentions, putting Michael in the untenable position of having to demonstrate he was not guilty and his mistake was not intentional, which is, of course, impossible. Simply ridiculous. If the FIA does not want a single mistake affecting all of the drivers, they need to change the qualfying format. As it stands, with the Monaco decision, the FIA can punish any driver which commits a mistake which the FIA itself deems "intentional".

Also he seems to be strangely involved a lot with illegal cars - he has been disqualified/had illegal car in 1990(f3), 1994, 1999 and 2006

I don't have a clue about F3; I already conceded 1994, but I have no idea what you're talking about regarding 1999 and 2006. If you're referring to flexi wings, then by the same token Alonso and Renault should be disqualified for the mass damper (which is actually much worse since they used it for most of the season, while the wings were accepted and subequently banned within two races, if memory serves). Otherwise I've no clue.
Same goes for 1999. Oh wait... do you refer to the perfectly legal aeros which were mismeasured by the FIA technical delegate tipped off by McLaren, who measured them in the wrong way immediately after the race, disqualified the Ferraris, and was subsequently ridiculed in front of the appeal court, when it was shown that they were well within tolerance parameters, and he even admitted that he'd never even thought about checking them without the little birdie singing the song?
In any case, attributing this to Michael is unreasonable, IMO.

I take it that you take for a fact the English media recollection of those events. I can assure you, the italian media depicted those same events in quite a different way...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:52 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(Magnus @ Oct. 23 2006,16:30)
Uhnn.... I won't keep going on after this post, as I can clearly see we have vastly different opinions and this could turn ugly.

Indeed. I have been watching this thread since post one as I suspected that it had this potential.

Lets keep things civil and friendly.

Track Marshal CS.  :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't worry CS... as stated, I'm done with this :)

In the end, we could argue till hell freezes over, as many episodes are strongly subject to interpretation and unless you were in the mind of the driver[s], you cannot be sure of how things really went. And I never thought Michael is a saint anyway, so...