Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What other games do you collect, or hobbies you have?

Post subject: Re: What other games do you collect, or hobbies you have?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KaJo wrote:
I play ASL on a regular basis.

Is this Advanced Squad Leader?

Believe it or not, despite my love for World War II history, I have never played this game. I am not really big on counter driven games, and the few times I have seen guys playing it, it looks like a couple of smallish boards together and like a dozen counters. I am not sure the draw of it. Is it the mechanics? Are they realistic? Very curious about it, but I also know I would never get anyone around me to play it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KTG17 wrote:
Is this Advanced Squad Leader?

Indeed. I started playing Squad Leader in the late 70's, switching to ASL when it came out ('85?).

I wouldn't say it's the most realistic WWII game available (feels more like a cross between historical WWII and a John Wayne war movie), but it's by far the most comprehensive, covering every theater of the war, every major army (and most minor armies) in excellent detail, and provides single scenarios with a few platoons on geomorphic maps all the way up to battalion-level campaign games on historically-accurate maps. I find it very enjoyable, and have been playing with the same general group (60+ people in the club) since 1997.

If you're interested in playing or learning, there is a low-cost Starter Kit (#1) that teaches the basics of infantry combat in something like 8 pages. If you search, I'm sure you'll find an ASL club that meets within a reasonable distance of your locale, and most clubs are more than happy tohelp new players get into the game.

And, as a bonus (partially due to the perceived complexity of the game), most ASLers are well above average intelligence; lots of interesting conversations to be had there. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In my youth before I went on to 1 to 1 scale "wargaming" ... I played most Avalon Hill, SPI, GDW, Conflict, etc., wargames ... Still have most in my Black Library/Archives ... ;D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

General board games - preferably with some element of "horror" in them, a long standing attempt to watch as many horror/sci-fi/fantasy films as humanly possible, Baldur's gate (1,2 & whatever else comes out), civ 2 (come on GOG, get it!), going to the gym, and darts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This isn't gaming related, but it's been a while since I did something awesome over the weekend instead of bringing work home (which is also why I'm not painting anything these days). Autocross! So I thought I'd bug you all with photos.

The event was put together by the same group that had organized a track day - it was in one of the parking lots at Sonoma Raceway (formerly Sears Point and Infineon Raceway). Open to anyone with a helmet - just don't bring something that tips over in hard driving. One of my friends just getting into sports cars came in his Pontiac Vibe, a completely normal compact car based on the Toyota Corolla. There are always a lot of Miatas and BMWs (old and new) at these events, another of my friends had his Mini Cooper S, and there were a few Porsches and a Lotus Exige. The staff all had souped-up Datsuns and a number of serious racers brought their track-only cars to test suspension settings. Super friendly group of people, even the ones with expensive cars.

We got maybe a dozen runs throughout the day, each lasting about a minute. I started above a minute and brought it down to 57.378s. I know I could've gotten more out of it, but I'm pretty to new this. I kept braking too late, or too hard - everything happens so fast!

The course is tight enough that most cars don't exceed highway speeds. Mine's on the less powerful end of the scale and I barely hit 55 mph (~90 kph). If you screw up - spinning out is common - you're not going to hit anything other than cones. I'd say it feels closer to go-karting than to driving on a track, except that cars feel soft and squishy in comparison. Highly recommended.

That's me in the first two pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I think your hobby wins the thread carlisimo! :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, neat stuff! It's nice to be able to play around with big toys. >:-3

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahh, I love Caterhams! There's a chap in the village who drives one of them about at speed...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I’ve got more pictures here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11703518 ... 7443960129

I hope to be able to do this every three months or so. I’ll also start to get the hang of taking photos of cars…

But normally my friends and I just get together for board games and beer. We’ve been playing Chaos in the Old World recently – it’s good! And while we usually play newer and better games than Risk, we’ve playing Risk Legacy, the one where you ruin the board with stickers that have permanent effects. It’s actually much better than the base game, since it does away with the mechanic that increases the soldiers received when you turn in cards, and the crazy effects are fun. It’s not a game we’d play beyond its 15-match campaign anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:28 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I only every had a single track day, bought for me as a birthday present.... but it was in an R8, so there is that. I think that its a shame that I never went back to it to be honest, as the first hour I was terrified about breaking something (and, I was booked in for a 911 until the guy ahead of me in the queue drove it into a wall!) but its something that I will never forget.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the biggest adrenaline rush I get nowadays is when a package of tin soldiers or resin gets pushed through the letterbox. =-P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, having only discovered it recently when I bought on impulse the SM1 boxed set on eBay. Then an Imperial Guard box. Then some Leman Russes. Then some titans. You get the picture! :)

Stormwind wrote:
I think the biggest adrenaline rush I get nowadays is when a package of tin soldiers or resin gets pushed through the letterbox. =-P

That's absolutely how I am feeling at the moment.

I was brought up on board games and have been playing 40K and Fantasy since the early 90s, also Necromunda, Dreadfleet, Space Hulk, Blood Bowl (WAAAAAGH!), and more recently Kings of War, X-Wing and Dreadball. Unfortunately through lack of regular opponents, I end up spending most of my time painting whatever takes my fancy out of the large number of unpainted models in the cupboard (that's large as in large, not large as in primarchload-filling-the-whole-house-large).

I used to play a lot of videogames and read historical novels extensively, but with work intruding on my spare time, I've realised that the Hobby is the most satisfying hobby I have.

Other than that, and thank you for reading this far, I love playing and listening to music (Dragon Force, Ghost - new Meliora album is fantastic! -, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, also mediaeval music and madrigals), going to the gym, and coming up with dozens of unfinished ideas for board games and novels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bloodbowl and Dungeon bowl

Keen Biker (of the motor variety)

Been know to dabble in Xbone and PS4

Also currently renovating a 9 bedroom house in the wilds of Scotland. We bought it as a shell 2 years ago, it hadn't been lived in for nearly 3 years. So its been a slog. Not going to lie, some days I want to burn the place down.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But imagine when it's done!

(it will never be "done")

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next