Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Film Discussion

Post subject: Re: Film Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The Bissler wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
...in some ways it seemed like Transformers without all the plot development.

I'm assuming that is a statement dripping with sarcasm! Those films may have been long, but I don't remember any story. Decepticons wanting to destroy Earth, Erotobots wanting to groom humans doesn't count as story, that's merely character motivation.

I cannot express how much I loathe the Transformers films. It sounds like I should avoid Prosthetic Limb as well. That's a shame because I usually enjoy Del Toro's work. It's been announced that he's writing the sequel, hopefully he'll spend some more time on the script than it sounds like he did with the first one!

Mostly. I do think they had more plot than PacRim, but only because it's hard to have less then zero.

Again, Pacific Rim doesn't try to be anything it's not. Monster flicks have never been about the story. The visual effects are stunning, and the movie is worth watching for that alone. Water is notoriously hard to get right in CG, and the action in PacRim is almost all partially or fully submerged. And it looks virtually perfect.

Watching Charlie Day (Charlie, Always Sunny) as a half-mad kaiju bioscientist is also amusing, as is Ron Perlman's performance.

Just don't expect any real character development.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So long as the characters aren't as annoying as those in Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer films, I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

elsmore wrote:
Another I don't think has been mentioned - Cloverfield by JJ Abrams. I watched it with the lights turned off, the volume tuned to 11, on a 100 inch screen... And I s**t myself in much the same way I did playing the original Doom on PC many years ago. :)

Cheers

Ha! Yes, I was the same Elsmore. While I'm not a fan of the handheld camera genre - the excellent horror film [REC] being an exception - I thought it was pretty good and definitely had definitely delivered some pant*-filling moments!

I meant to say, I love Akira as well. Every frame is packed with detail and is wonderful to look at. I don't think I've ever seen animation done better. Strangely, I've never really given much other Anime a go. I'll need to look into your recommendations! :)

*For those strange usurpers of the English language, our American friends; Pants = Underwear NOT trousers.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We didn't usurp the English language, we just made it more affordable. Like a Biggie Mac Cheeseburger.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
We didn't usurp the English language, we just made it more affordable. Like a Biggie Mac Cheeseburger.

Haha!

I'm one to talk anyway! When it comes to the English language, we Scots don't usurp, we just mash it up! It's braw! ;D

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

elsmore wrote:
Another I don't think has been mentioned - Cloverfield by JJ Abrams. I watched it with the lights turned off, the volume tuned to 11, on a 100 inch screen... And I s**t myself in much the same way I did playing the original Doom on PC many years ago. :)

Cheers

I knew that Cloverfield would be a great film from the moment I saw the teaser trailer and was literally counting down the days until it was released in the cinema. I consider it to be the finest giant monster movie ever made - much as I love King Kong and the various Godzilla films, they just don't capture the sense of complete helplessness and fear that is present in CF. I found the complete lack of answers in the film one of its highlights - virtually nothing about the origins of the monster, its motives, any weaknesses, the "lice" it carried and the reasons for the exploding people. The only fault I can find with it is the depressing lack of a sequel, and the distinct abscence of and likelyhood of one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I suspect the thing you liked best about Cloverfield may not have been deliberate in so far as aiming for people to enjoy it more by not explaining things.

I still haven't forgiven JJ "Lost" Abrams for 6 wasted years of my life - we were promised answers and all we got in the finale was a great big F U. Of course Damon "Prometheus" Lindelof probably is as complicit in the shame that was Lost. Pr*cks, the pair of 'em.

Getting back on point, I wouldn't have been surprised if Abrams just decided "who cares about why? Just have a monster smashing up a city." As mentioned above, he has form on that sort of thing.

He's not beyond redemption though - one good Star Wars film may go a way to reducing my hate of Abrams!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:
That and Summer Glau ;)

Kaylee surely? ;)

Yeah, this. When the hitman shows up and threatens to pillage her, I almost wanted to punch him- And I'm a very big fan of abusive films. She to precious to ruin!

Pacfic rim and anime. Hmmm. Pacific rim is fine if you want effects and nothing else. Its a shame they didnt have any plot but I went it to it doubting there was any, and so I wasnt too disappointed. Except for the fact that this year I sat down and watched the whole of Tegan toppa gurren lagann. AND IT BLEW MY MIND. One of the most exciting robot animes (I'm not normally a robo anime fan- I prefer mind @!#! animes and horror anime.) I wont spoil any plot- I went in to it knowing nothing and it was all the better for it! But every episode gets bigger, better and more epic as the series goes on. Its has its faults (including a hilarious gaff that the owner of the company made when speaking about one of the earlier episodes!) and Its not for non-anime fans. I could recommend several animes that are suitable for people that wouldn't normally watch 'cartoons' but the zaniness of japan in a big part of the charm of gurren lagann.

But if you are an anime fan and want big robots with a decent plot then try it, you shouldn't be disappointed.

I found the main charm of it that is no where near as serious as code geass, or macross, but It was so more epic, it gave me goosebumps! It has some really powerful moments in, and is still able to be fun.

Yes, there a few odd moments of bewbs that deify physics, but the 'fan service' is not as in your face as, say, high school of the dead (brilliant as well!)

Lost is fantastic- until that ending. I put off watching it for years and only started it when season 4 had got underway. I watched through the first three seasons in about a week! It drove me mad- I hadn't got involved with any of the online theory's or debates, but had plenty of my own and had great fun picking the story apart. Was hooked on every word (especially as one of the books it takes a lot from is one of my favorites anyway- the third policeman- one of the weirdest books you can every read) and even had a missions to take time off work to stay in and watch the early screening of the very last episode- and was so angry. I hadn't expected any proper answers, but I had thought they would have explained some of the odd things that had cropped up during the show- but nothing. Biggest cop out ever.

It was clear that they had stolen a lot from other films and books during the first 5 seasons, and had no original Ideas for season 6. Shame, as there was some pretty good theory's that had been made by fans during its time.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:
That and Summer Glau ;)

Kaylee surely? ;)

:gah hehe

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

elsmore wrote:
Ha - I don't watch series for that very reason - one has to invest too much time, and the finale is not guaranteed to be worth it.

Yes, and television companies have a very bad habit of cancelling ongoing series without allowing them to come to a conclusion. I watched the first and only series of Flashforward, and more recently the Borgias which had run for three series. Both were written to conclude after further series so stopped abruptly with cliffhangers. Talk about treating your viewers with contempt.

But Lost was one where, two series in, Abrams and Lindelof came out and promised the fans of the show that they weren't making a load of crap up from week to week, that there was a grand plan and that everything would be explained in the end. As soon as the video was switched off, they must have been laughing their arses off. It was random nonsense week to week that built up to a conclusion that the makers - quite disgracefully - had denied was the case four series previous.

I'm still f***ing bealing about it.

elsmore wrote:
Still, the next Star Wars film can't possibly be worse than the last three. ;)

You would hope so, wouldn't you? At least they seem to be listening to fans and promising to use more "real" locations. Please, please it needs to be good!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I really liked Star Trek Into Darkness. One of my favorite scifi movies of recent years. Loved how they portrayed Khan, loved how they managed to pull off back-to-back origin stories, loved the hat tipping to Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan. And Kirk looked way out of his league fighting the Klingons, which was awesome. He was scrambling around like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, barely able to keep his skull intact. In fact, the one thing I didn't like about the movie was Kirk in his alien threesome - my 9 year old daughter wants to see ST: ID but I have to tell her no for a few more years. :( Just not in the mood to have THAT conversation.

And I liked Lost's ending. And BSG's ending. I guess I was just happy they finished the dang shows. :P

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I disliked Lost's ending. The "real world" ending was clearly pulled out of the idea bag at the eleventh hour, whilst the "afterlife" ending was clearly planned some time in advance but was ultimately very clumsily achieved - I saw the same type of "afterlife" ending done with much more style and intelligence the same week on the show "Ashes to Ashes".

BSG's ending, eh, better than Lost, but not an all time great. Had some thematic flaws and some partially-closed plotlines that didn't quite gel, but on the other hand it had some terrific action and some of the plotlines closed for the last time with real zing.

Has "Children of Men" been mentioned in this thread yet?
My favourite film of the last ten years, that one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:

Has "Children of Men" been mentioned in this thread yet?
My favourite film of the last ten years, that one.

I put off watching for ages, finally popped it on one rainy sunday evening this year. That last scene has to be one of the most breath taking shots in cinema. Up their with Woo's one take firefight, the elevator fight in old boy, and the bone throwing shot of 2001. I don't want to say too much about the scene for people that have not yet watched it.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next