Usually OK, as long as there are other elements 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Spinegaunts are always fine 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4

40K Spinegaunts

Post subject: 40K Spinegaunts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:00 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Right, I have been having a 'heated' exchanged with other 40K players about the validity of Spinegaunts. I have used a couple of broods in my swarm, but have had serious negative reactions to them, with some players saying that they are really cheesy in any army.

Their argument goes that the only reason to take Spinefists over Fleshborers is if you are only concerned with winning at all costs, as they are just as effective but a lot cheaper, giving you simply more shots. I cant really see it, but it has worried me. If this is the case, an entire overhaul of my swarm is on the way.

I have two broods, there to be a distraction, so I dont want to pay a lot for them. I also have two broods of scything talon gaunts and one of fleshborer gaunts.

So, what does everyone else think?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I maybe a bit biased, as I have Nids aswell, but I think they are just being arses.

A Tyranid army should be a swarm, thats its nature.  I think making gaunts as cheap as possible to make this possible, is playing by the fluff of the army.

With the rule "shoot the big ones" (which should be shoot the genestealers and then Warriors, etc  :oo   ) we need distracting units.

Spine gaunt are not as good as termagaunts.  The flesh boarer is S4, basic spine fists are S3.  Thats a large difference.

I think your opponents need to just formulate a plan on handling tyranid armies.  Playing against Nids requires a balanced force.  Cheesed out armies can struggle against them.  Armies where they have taken a lot of heavy weapons  may knock out the big 'uns, but they will be overwhelmed by the numbers that they wont be able to handle.  Armies that have a million heavy bolters (for example)  will be wasted as the big uns arrive to stomp them into the ground.  Opponents need a combination of these weapons to succeed.  A balanced force.  (Tau do well).

Look at their armies.  Are they specifically aimed at a certain role? I'm not the only Nid player by me.  And whilst I dont use spine gaunts often (as I have put the toxin sacs etc on them) another player uses them.  I have seen him lose as often as win.  OK maybe when the opponents know they are gonna face him they prepare. (whirlwinds backed up by dev squads, with lots of tac squads and bolters, that sort of thing).  But balanced forces should deal with him OK anyway.

If they are still complaining, level with them, and use just one unit.  I dont see why you should alter your force though.  If they take a lot of star cannons or heavy bolters against you, complain back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: so close to US Hq I can almost smell it (well, not that close)
I too have Nids, and I too, have considered taking them (though I decided not to over Termagants with toxin sacs, but that is another story). I say they are perfectly fine. I'd use them, and if I played against them, I shouldn't complain. Oh well, I don't know what to say now, 'cept use them, and remember the 12 species limit rule!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Most of the Nid players I have ever faced has used these things. I don't think they are cheesy atall when part of a balenced army.

Its just the fact that the seam more powerful then some other types but they all fry the same when facing Guardsmen :D