Login |  Register |  FAQ

Which Epic Armies Are You Looking Forward To?

Post subject: Which Epic Armies Are You Looking Forward To?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Which Epic Army/ies Are Looking Forward To?

For example, Tas would really like an Epic Dark Eldar army.

I, Maksim, have already started collecting old chaos Androids and sculpting pieces for an Epic Necron army.

Which nonexistant Epic armies are you most interested in seeing / collecting / buying / etc. ?

All posters are welcome to discuss versions of existing armies (Such as SM chapters that have special vehicles, characters, etc.) as well.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Despite the fact that I do not think the Sisters of Battle could be a complete army, I would love to see some models made and be able to use them with the IG.

It would be nice to see them in Epic Scale.

Dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm looking forward to all of the forces, as I collect all of the Epic Armies, past, present and now ... the future. ?

I hope that eventually they will release the Necrons and more Tau (to augment my F/W Tau & Kroot), and I'd like to see SoBs, and the Demiurg [the new Squats ?].

However, I'd be happy if they just released the new Rhino & Land Raider in a timely fashion!! ?:laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Daemonhunters give almost as many opportunities for conversion as chaos does, so I'd like to see Stormtropers and such just so I could get on with converting some more interesting pieces! ?:D

I wouldn't want GW to do a full range though... that would ruin the point for me, just enough to mean not EVERYthing has to be built from scratch! ?:cool:

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh yeah,

Daemonhunters would be fantastic...

But then again so would Necrons, which would be incredibly easy to paint as well!

I also wouldn't mind seeing some new Knights...

There doesn't seem to be a high likelihood of that though... :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like it if they finish off a few of the missing models from the Tau....
Then a few new pieces for the Tyranids.

Then in order of preference:

1. Dark eldar

2. Necrons

3. SoB

4. Character pieces: I just love the 40k ones that I would find it really cool to have a few as collectors items like the Tau was supposed to be. ???

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep,

DE would be my vote for a new army, but I agree, lots of additions to the other existing army ranges would be most welcome. ?

While most of my thoughts range to Imperial Forces (which I prefer), I accept the fact that compared to the other armies, the Emperor's Forces already have the lion's share of extras. ?

It's everyone else who really needs the extras to fill out their armies.

Having said that though, bitz I'd really like to see are:

- SoB - I agree they aren't a whole army, but they would be a very welcome addition.

- Adeptus Arbites forces- Again, not a whole army, but as an option they would be nice.

- Baal class Predators- for BA and successors. Fairly popular chapters, and I don't want to convert them for my Flesh Tearers! :;):

- Characters of all flavours for everyone, including tank commanders, different HW figures etc.

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm waiting for more Imperial and Eldar peices. Maybe the Tau as well. Nothing else.

I never really understood the deal with the Necrons. The "space undead" army? ?:D ?

We'll see what we actually get. I am not holding my breath for too long.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The old Chaos Androids (we still have them with our Chaos Armies), were G/W's idea of the "Terminator" from the Arnold (your next Gov. :laugh: ) movies.

And so now the Necrons are the "merged" C/Androids & WHFBs Undead. I think they are kind of cool, but I'll wait and see, also... :;):

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, governor Arnie. Yes. All hail the terminator. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

He'll be your Governor and meanwhile Jervis & company still will not have produced Epic Necrons... }:) :{

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well...

It's probably my turn to respond so...

The army I most want to see is the Necrons. I'd like to see it so much that I have already started building and converting one for myself.

Since, I wrote the below posts I have been sculpting a Monolith using plasticard, various garbage bitz, and green stuff. It still needs work although the progress is good.

Here's a copied and pasted post that several of us wrote awhile back looking for help and ideas regarding Necrons:

---------------------------------------

I'm getting past the point of just talking about and to the point of doing something concerning a desire to build a 6mm Epic Necron army. I even bought the 28mm 40k codex.

Please help me brainstorm:
-
Necron Warriors infantry:
Old Chaos Android plastic figures (unmodified)
-
Necron Pariah (Human/Necron Mix) - bulkier with different armor and staff/gun weapon):
No idea, maybe the Chaos Androids with a different paint job?
-
Necron Lord (Big Pumba character with special staff):
No idea, maybe a different paint job again.
-
Necron Immortal (Warrior with double-gaus gun tube):
No idea, maybe a conversion on a Chaos Android?
-
Necron Flayed One: Green Stuff and a Chaos Android?
-
Necron Wraith:
No idea whatsoever, please help!? The biggest problem is
getting a mechanical spine. Maybe use the tail of a 28mm plastic undead horse (and scratchbuild shoulder plates - cut out of thin plasticard - with a skull and arms)?
-
Necron Tomb Spyder:
28mm 40k Scarabs (maybe customize head and arms to look
better).
-
Necron Tomb Spyder with Particle Projector:
28mm 40k Scarabs (maybe customize head and arms to look better) with Scratchbuilt particle projector tube?
-
Necron Destroyer:
28mm 40k Scarab with a Chaos Android Torso on top?
Scratchbuild gaus gun tube?
-
Necron Heavy Destroyer:
-
Necron Destroyer Lord:
-
Necron Scarabs:
No idea, please help with brainstormed ideas. Pin heads with
little fiddly leg bitz. Maybe electronic bitz (dead chips)?
-
Necron C'tan:
Nightbringer: Warmaster: Undead Flying Liche Priest base with modification.
Ideas?
Deceiver: Warmaster:
Undead Flying Liche Priest base with modification.
Ideas?
Maybe use the Warmaster Kislev Shaman, Dark Elf Witch Character/sorceress/Ethereal/ Command Skeleton Spearmen (Great Grim reaper), and Ice Queen for parts?
Maybe use pieces of aluminum foil to get flowing robes look.
-
Necron Monolith:
Scratchbuilt out of Plasticard with a Lego crystal on top
(my nephews have plenty!) Would need to scratchbuild one corner piece and mold it then the side pieces for inbetween (3 types: front, back, and a generic piece for the right and left sides).
-
Other Ideas:
- Maybe 10mm Fantasy undead figures (several manufacturers)?
- GW Inquisitor Servo skulls must be good for something, but what?
(Armor-type weapon)
- I have some old Reaper kits called Nasteez Mechanical Scorpion. It's a titan class weapon, but it would be very cool. Ideas?
- AA (Alternative Armies) 15mm Titans (Psychoborgs) with 28mm GW NEcron additions
- AA 6mm pieces (Maybe Levy or Khan?)

P.S.S.
Where to get a small skull to mold?

--------------------------------------------
Maksim,

Pariah:
The Pariahs would sure use a small bit of green stuff/ some modelline, to their bellies, as well as two small armour plates on the rib cage.

Necron Lord:
Lord would be easily distinguished from the usual tropops, because of his staff. Just a normal Chaos Android with a big staff (either Staff of Light or a Warscythe). Also you may add a tiny cloak to the miniature- this will by no means allow the Lord to be mistaken with a warrior, nor a standard-pattern Immortal.

Immortal:
Immortals would be larger a bit than your usual necrons. It's up to you.

Flayed ones:
Give them plasticard or wire-based claws, and some pieces that look like the flayed skin of their opponents- painted in red-and-flesh, while the mechanical pieces of Flayed Ones would be your standard pattern.

Wraith:
For its' spine: use a long spring, maybe better some guitar string - just a good advice. Add claws same way as the Flayed Ones.

Spyder:
Yeah, customize head and ADD two claws on front. How? Up to you! Good idea.

Destroyers:
Remove the Scarab's head, and cut the legs, to leave only a little part on the side of the torso. Mount the Chaos Android on the top. Maybe a bit of work around the heads (the visor-thing, you know). Remove one arm at the elbow, and place some scratch-built Gauss Cannon. If you want a heavy destroyer, then replace the entire arm, with a thin, but long tube.

Scarabs:
Just a pinhead, with six little pieces of wire, painted metallic and with a green dot (the "eye")

C'Tan:
Use your judgement here. I've got no ideas about this. Foil sound good. But better use the transparent plastic foil- it does not waste as easily as the tin foil, and the painted tin foil is going to have the paint chipped off very fast. Believe me. I tried to make some cloak-like stuff to several of my Battletech minis, and such was the effect. The plastic foil is also much more elastic and can stand a bit more harsh conditions.

Monolith:
If it's scratch-built, why use a Lego piece?
Look for some green transparent beads at the nearby craft shops, or take any non-transparent, paint it black (chaos black), give a solid drybrush with dark green (dark angels green), picking out the edges with some light green colour (maybe goblin green). It's just more fun to make it all yourself.

Servo-Skulls:
The Servo-skulls are not good. they do NOT find any use for Necrons. And if you want some in Epic, maybe better use the new Daemonhunters W40k servo-skulls.

Scorpion:
What a coincidence! Currently I'm working on this sort of a unit, altough it will be roughly the size of a Tomb Spyder. But a Titan-class variant might be good too!

Necron Flyers:
And what about the Necron aircraft, any ideas?

Maksim,
I'd really like to take a look on your list. If you can't get mine from Yahoo, than I'll mail it to you.

Next month, I'll get my own Codex: Necrons (at last!), so the list will be made from more hard-data.

Currently, though, I have to convert and paint several miniatures for Battletech game. And, I'll start a new thread for comments on the list. This thread will however still be used for brainstorming any related ideas.
---------------------------------------------
5th-Horseman and Bop,

Thanks for all of your creative feedback.

I'll look forward to seeing your list, 5th-Horseman, when you're ready to share it. I'll share my list when it gets more mature. If you'd like, I'll send you my list with modelling ideas (for conversions). I have separate lists for E-A game thoughts and modelling conversion thoughts.

-------------------------------------
NECRON TITANS:

I have had a lot of thoughts about Necron titans and what they might look like. Some of my conceptual art and brainstorming has come up with these ideas so far:

- A large skeletal walker (Making a model conversion of this already)

- A floating servo-skull-like Necron titan

- Monolith Sr. (tm.)

- Necron Pylon on a chassis (sort of like an Ordinatus for Necrons)

Mostly though, it would seem as if the fluff would point out that Necrons NEVER need a titan. Massed fire from Necron infantry would wipe out a titan obliviating the need for a Necron weapon heavier than either a Monolith or Heavy Destroyers. There's always the C'tan as well!

So far the idea to justify Necron titans has been that particularly important Necrons (substitute the pharoah or high priest) were entombed in Necron titans and they can only be found on the oldest of the Necron worlds. Necrons would rarely bring titans to combat because fighting most Alien forces would be beneath them. C'tan are the "living gods" of Necron fluff, but titans could be the "pharoahs" of the past come alive again. Necron titans will be fun models at any rate.

My current skeletal walker theme has the Necron walker being much smaller than a Warlord class (About the size of the old Knight walkers), but about equally matched with one, weapon and toughness-wise. One of my questions has been whether they should be able to phase in and out like other Necron pieces. Should the weapons include CC or ranged weapons and in what ratio? So far I've been playing around with various Gaus layouts although some type of a powered CC weapon seems appropriate (maybe one of those awful C'tan blades that Imperial assassins favor). Would Necrons have shields or power fields of some sort? So far my game dynamics have been to experiment with a tought save combined with limited self-repair rolls. I owe a lot to Andy Skinner who made up many of the Titan Project Tyranid rules from which I've taken inspiration.

I'd greatly welcome any input on this subject.

-----------------------------------------
MODELLING:

Another difficulty that I've had is how to model some of the Necron list. I'm going to have to sculpt the Monolith, which is OK because I'm a fairly good sculptor / Plastruct carver. Converting the infantry is another whole question. I'm using a small pile of old Chaos Androids so far, but I want to convert their gun to have the fiddly bit at the end of the Gaus barrel. The bayonnet / knifey-thing is easy to convert with light card / plastisheet, but that gun barrel end is still eluding me.

Most of the other figures, I've figured out how to convert or borrow from other minatures.

---------------------------
NECRON PYLON:

5th-Horseman,

You can download the PDF for the Pylon and see pictures of it at the Forgeworld site. As for Necron fluff about the C'tan, I finally decided to buy the 28mm 40k Necron codex. The 40k guys in my shop almost had a heart attack since I'm "the Epic guy" in my shop. They thought I was ready to hop on the 40k band wagon (No, never, I'll resist to the bitter end!). They were relieved when I told them I bought the codex for inspiration for the Epic Necrons I was working on.

Shalom, Maksim-Smelchak,
Not really a Necron thinker, but Maksim, personally I would increase the size of the monolith (in other words make it bigger in 6mm than it is in 28mm... does that make sense...
What I mean is that in 28mm the monolith is too small compared to the Necrons, so in 6mm it should be BIG.
Felix

Ah, and Maksim, I've posted my ideas on converting necrons for Epic quite a while ago. Read the forum. - 5thHorseman

[[[ @Maksim I'm still not quite happy with the idea of seeing Necron [[[ Titans. Would their fluff have followed the "Arnold [[[ [[[ [[[ [[[ Schwarzenegger"-approach, I would have liked to see all those [[[ [[[ Flyers and War Engines from the movies given a counterpart in [[[ [[[ 40k/EpicA. But the current "creeping horror" style just doesn't [[[ call for it. I can understand that other players may be eager to [[[ get some huge models to field vs. all those enemy Titans, and I [[[ know my personal denial is no good reason to leave them out of [[[ the list. I just hope they won't be neccessary to deal with other [[[ armies' playthings, but that a few well-placed Pylons are all [[[ [[[ that's really needed to deal with enemy Flyers and Titans. ]]]

- Bop, I know what you mean, but do you really think that on the E-A scale (huge armies and climactic battles) that the Necrons wouldn't pull out heavier stuff than they already have? Just because the current "28mm 40k" fluff doesn't provide for it doesn't mean that it can't be accounted for. I tried to provide some fluff to justify a Necron titan (AKA living metal sarcophagus for a 'Grand Poobah' Necron). I do think that Necron battle plans would include more than "creeping death" style raids when they want to fight a decisive conflict. Plus Pylons aren't terribly exciting and seem to be more of a planetary defence weapon against starships.

[[[ I think, that you would have to base Necrons upon some Warmaster [[[ Skeletons. (not a bad idea) If you make your own Necron army, [[[ [[[ please send me info, about what models you have used, and what [[[ modifications were done. ]]]

- 5th-Horseman, I offered to send you my list of conversion ideas and you're still welcome to it if you'd like. I just won't send it to you unless specifically requested. I'm really against unsolicited sending of attachments (or junk mail for that matter).

- 5th-Horseman, I still recommend buying the 28mm 40k Necron codex for fluff and background. I have the old White Dwarfs (or would it be Dwarves?) and I prefer the codex since it reflects the current Necron list excepting the Pylon (a Forgeworld PDF download). It's worth the money and I wouldn't expect anyone to type up the codex for you (or me either). My conversions list has all the current Necron codex units on it if you're interested.

Cheers and Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

------------------------------------------

5th-Horseman,

I've responded to some of your ideas about converting Necrons below. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

[[[ Pariah: The Pariahs would sure use a small bit of green stuff/ [[[ some modelline, to their bellies, as well as two small armour [[[ [[[ plates on the rib cage. ]]]

That's a good idea , but I'm trying to avoid using greenstuff on Necron infantry since I plan to build a whole bunch and it would be excruciatingly boring to convert tens or hundreds of Necron infantry needing green stuff modifcations on EACH little guy.

[[[ Necron Lord: The Lord would be easily distinguished from the [[[ [[[ usual tropops, because of his staff. Just a normal Chaos Android [[[ with a big staff (either Staff of Light or a Warscythe). Also you [[[ may add a tiny cloak to the miniature- this will by no means [[[ [[[ allow the Lord to be mistaken with a warrior, nor a standard-[[[ [[[ pattern Immortal. ]]]

Great ideas. I've been trying cutouts of various Necron symbols for the staff. Unfortunately I'm not that good at making very tiny cutouts at a 1mm size so I frequently miscut and have to start over.

[[[ Immortal: Immortals would be larger a bit than your usual [[[ [[[ [[[ Necrons. It's up to you. ]]]

I'm trying to avoid using MWDA figures, but I may just since I haven't yet figured out how to make a "bulkier" looking Necron that would make a good Immortal.

Anyone else getting flashbacks of Darius and Persia every time they say Immortal?

[[[ Flayed ones: Give them plasticard or wire-based claws, and some [[[ pieces that look like the flayed skin of their opponents- painted [[[ in red-and-flesh, while the mechanical pieces of Flayed Ones [[[ [[[ would be your standard pattern. ]]]

I don't think a Chaos Android conversion to Flayers is going to look that great because it would miss out on the "hunched" look of the Flayers. I'm trying using Overhead transparency material to make the Flayed Ones' blades and little pieces of PVA-drenched tissue or toilet paper for the "fleshy scraps!"

[[[ Wraith: For its' spine: use a long spring, maybe better some [[[ [[[ guitar string - just a good advice. Add claws same way as the [[[ [[[ Flayed Ones. ]]]

I've been experimenting with various templates to get the back plate on the Wraith. Haven't found a good one yet. I also came up with the guitar string idea (several guys in my shop use it for 40k conversions). I still like the diea of using a 28mm plastic undead horse's tail for the base.

[[[ Spyder: Yeah, customize head and ADD two claws on front. How? Up [[[ to you! Good idea. ]]]

Thanks for the input.

[[[ Destroyers: Remove the Scarab's head, and cut the legs, to leave [[[ only a little part on the side of the torso. Mount the Chaos [[[ [[[ Android on the top. Maybe a bit of work around the heads (the [[[ [[[ visor-thing, you know). Remove one arm at the elbow, and place [[[ some scratch-built Gauss Cannon. If you want a heavy destroyer, [[[ then replace the entire arm, with a thin, but long tube. ]]]

I don't think I'm going to try the visor on the Destroyer or Destroyer Lord. I'm just not that skilled or patient. So far, I don't like the look of the Chaos Android body on the 28mm plastic Scarab body. They look too disjointed. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting.

[[[ Scarabs: Just a pinhead, with six little pieces of wire, painted [[[ metallic and with a green dot (the "eye"). ]]]

One of my favorite ideas so far has been to use surplus computer chips. The pin idea is a good one too.

[[[ C'Tan: Use your judgement here. I've got no ideas about this. [[[ [[[ Foil sound good. But better use the transparent plastic foil- it [[[ does not waste as easily as the tin foil, and the painted tin [[[ [[[ foil is going to have the paint chipped off very fast. Believe [[[ me. I tried to make some cloak-like stuff to several of my [[[ [[[ Battletech minis, and such was the effect. The plastic foil is [[[ also much more elastic and can stand a bit more harsh [[[ [[[ [[[ [[[ conditions. ]]]

What is "tranparent plastic foil?"

I don't know that term.

-------------------------------

One of my catchups is how to model the Deceiver's Alien head. I'm probably just going to have to sculpt it.

Did Micromachines ever make that dancer from Jabba's barge that has the same head growths that the Deceiver illustrations have?

I'll get one and chop off her head if it looks relatively close.

[[[ Monolith: If it's scratch-built, why use a Lego piece? ]]]

I like the Lego crystal piece because it's the exact same shape as the larger 28mm Monolith crystal and it's made of the same clear green plastic. I don't have the capability of making clear green plastic items so that's appealing. I also have the crazy idea to get a small LED and light up the crystal.  

[[[ Look for some green transparent beads at the nearby craft shops, [[[ or take any non-transparent, paint it black (chaos black), give a [[[ solid drybrush with dark green (dark angels green), picking out [[[ the edges with some light green colour (maybe goblin green). It's [[[ just more fun to make it all yourself. ]]]

Great ideas. Thank you.

[[[ Servo-Skulls: The Servo-skulls are not good. They do NOT find any [[[ use for Necrons. And if you want some in Epic, maybe better use [[[ the new Daemonhunters W40k servo-skulls. ]]]

Thanks for the advice. I still think, however, that a servo-skull could be a neat 6mm Epic Necron piece. I wouldn't be surprised if servo-skulls are really Necron technology that the Adeptus Mechanicus borrowed from Necron vaults on the Mars Forgeworld centuries if not millenia ago.

We are also still looking for ideas for Necron titans and a big Servo-skull-like Necron titan is a fun idea to play around with.

[[[ Scorpion: What a coincidence! Currently I'm working on this sort [[[ of a unit, although it will be roughly the size of a Tomb Spyder. [[[ But a Titan-class variant might be good too! ]]]

Thanks for the advice.

[[[ Necron Flyers: And what about the Necron aircraft, any ideas? ]]]

I don't really have any good ideas yet, but I do like the idea of watching Stargate a few times for inspiration (I have while doing laundry and ironing). Since we havent seen any fighters yet in BFG, I'm thinking that the fluff would make them dedicated ground-attack platforms or maybe even obsolescent units by Necron technology.  

I don't really like the idea of making it crescent-moon-shaped like the Necron BFG ships.

Whatever we came up with, it definitely needs a cool looking ball lightning / chain lightning like attack! LOL :)

[[[ Next month, I'll get my own Codex: Necrons (at last!), so the [[[ [[[ list will be made from more hard-data. ]]]

Glad to hear it. I think that you'll enjoy the Necrons Codex.

[[[ And, I'll start a new thread for comments on the list. This [[[ [[[ thread will however still be used for brainstorming any related [[[ ideas. ]]]

Thanks again for all of your hard works and useful feedback / ideas.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:41 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Generally, I like to put together either really mainstream armies such as Vanilla Eldar, or completely marginal ones, such as my Genestealer Cult. So, I dont know if there is any particular army that I am looking forward to.

I am enthuisiastic about my Cult, and I will be putting together a Tyranid Seeding Swarm army at some point too. Also, I am curious about the full Tau army when it is developed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What can I say but SQUATS! Bring back those little stubborn warriors with attitude!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gotta love the little alcoholic biker dudes! They were a superb army :).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb