Login |  Register |  FAQ

Pirates of the Spanish Main

Post subject: Pirates of the Spanish Main
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kind of reminds me of buying baseball cards when I was a kid. I hated getting duplicates. I don't mind buying a starter pack and a booster pack, but after that I want to be able to buy specific things and not buy things I already have and don't need duplicates.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doubles can be a dissapointment, but with Pirates there always seems to be a good booster just around the corner. The number of ships in the sets means doubles arent too common (they do happen), and hopefully any you do get you can trade away to other people who have different doubles :;):

What Ive done with a lot of mine is actually either give them away to people taking part in demo games, to give them something to play with, or donate them to the LGS I demo in, as then they have a 'stock' of ships for people to use. Not cost effective for me really, but its helped get people into the game (In some ways its cruel, because Im sure there must be a lot of "But I have a ship now, I might as well buy a couple more so I have a selection...."...and then they're hooked!).

Some players I know have actually renamed some of their doubles, as there isnt currently (last time I checked, but it may well appear) any rules about not using duplicates in games (so you can field a 40pt fleet of 20 of those hideous 2pt Pirate ships :p ), and it satisfies the 'realist' in them...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Reaversbane @ 10 Jan. 2006 (10:27))
Some players I know have actually renamed some of their doubles, as there isnt currently (last time I checked, but it may well appear) any rules about not using duplicates in games (so you can field a 40pt fleet of 20 of those hideous 2pt Pirate ships :p ), and it satisfies the 'realist' in them...

Good point - members of the same ship class would be similar, if not exactly identical. :D  :D
Good job this hasn't arrived in Malta!  :p   :down:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And you can always try to sell duplicates on the internet....

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19176

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We bought a fair amount of the first set when it came out followed by a few each of the Crimson Coast and Revolution boosters.

Hellaciously enjoyable little game.

With the release of the Barbary Coast packs and war galleys though 3 of us are contemplating trying to acquire a fair amount of duplicates of the galley commons and gaming the 1571 Battle of Lepanto between the Ottomans and the Italian/Spanish Christian forces.

http://www.nafpaktos.com/battle_of_lepanto.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Dwarf Supreme @ 09 Jan. 2006 (15:50))
Kind of reminds me of buying baseball cards when I was a kid. I hated getting duplicates. I don't mind buying a starter pack and a booster pack, but after that I want to be able to buy specific things and not buy things I already have and don't need duplicates.

Hi!

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing.

Only difference was I could buy several boxes for 3-4 dollars and complete the years series in one sitting....  :;):

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pirates does have some potential for historical battles, and its something I keep meaning to do. I played a Trafalgar game at GENCON UK as the British, which was good fun, although the historical accuracy was somewhat stretched. I had about 200pts of Brits against 150 of Spanish and 150 of French, all three of us deployed equidisant apart (which is a little off I believe). All the British ships had Captains (which makes them able to move AND attack which they cant normally do), the French had Musketeers (extra guns) and the Spanish had helmsmen (extra movement). I dont know enough about the battle to comment, but that seemed like a bit of a generalisation? :;): ?(and wasnt it the Spanish who had the most heavily gunned ship?). I attacked the Spanish first, blew them out of the water in a couple of turns, then turned round and finished off the French, so the result held true :D

Good fun though, and doesnt require too many boosters.

I do intend to try a bigger game at some point, with as many players as I can get hold of, each bringing 100pts to the game. Even with 4-5 players a side, it shouldnty take more than an hour or two ?:cool:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

...or Piet Heyn's raid on the Spanish Treasure Fleet...

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Heresiarch @ 10 Jan. 2006 (16:28))
With the release of the Barbary Coast packs and war galleys though 3 of us are contemplating trying to acquire a fair amount of duplicates of the galley commons and gaming the 1571 Battle of Lepanto between the Ottomans and the Italian/Spanish Christian forces.

That sounds cool. Try Cool Stuff Inc where they sell singles. A guy I know buys all his stuff for Pirates from them, so he can get the singles cheap.

I have messed around a lot with the rules, trying various systems available on the internet. The best so far has been foregoing the measuring (which is awful fiddly at that scale) and using hexes. I made a hexboard out of blue foam (1/8" thick) where each hex is 3" across, so a ship will fit inside one hex. 'S' range is 2 hexes and 'L' range is 3 hexes. It takes a lot of the fiddliness out of the game. No more arguments about whether the ship is in range. "It's not in range!" "Well, it WAS before you bumped my ship!"...

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have messed around a lot with the rules, trying various systems available on the internet. The best so far has been foregoing the measuring (which is awful fiddly at that scale) and using hexes. I made a hexboard out of blue foam (1/8" thick) where each hex is 3" across, so a ship will fit inside one hex. 'S' range is 2 hexes and 'L' range is 3 hexes. It takes a lot of the fiddliness out of the game. No more arguments about whether the ship is in range. "It's not in range!" "Well, it WAS before you bumped my ship!"...

The European version of the game dropped the measuring thing. Now you get a 45cm by 45cm map with a booster. Made up in squares. (Fiddly because its paper but a friend made a real board, good!).

Also ships movement is like this:
S roll dice with low numbers (1,2,3)
L roll dice with high numbers (2,3,4)

Shooting, as you found, S two squares & L 3 squares.

Plays good.

Oh, I bought my 4th & 5th booster. I got my 4th Rare (including Acorazado & Harbringer), me lucky!

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wasn't as keen on the Euro pirates with the tiled map in to be honest, but thats maybe just because I was used to the 'normal' version.

Ran my first tournament of it last Saturday, with 8 players, playing four rounds, and it took maybe 2 and a half hours in total. Good fun, and everyone taking part gets a reward, with extra for the winner. The support wizkids give the organised play is quite impressive, as soon everyone who plays in an event will get a free ship not available in boosters!

Oh, and the next set ...South China Seas is out next month, and ...Davey Jones' Locker is out in May. Its all good :D  And Davey Jones Locker has undead and stuff in it (not riding the inevitable success of a certain Johny Depp film honest...).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey, they've already put 'Wesley' in (the 'Dread Pirate Roberts' from Princess Bride), and the Black Pearl, IIRC... what's the harm of letting Disney do a little free advertising for them?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Lion in the Stars @ 20 Jan. 2006 (17:53))
Hey, they've already put 'Wesley' in (the 'Dread Pirate Roberts' from Princess Bride), and the Black Pearl, IIRC... what's the harm of letting Disney do a little free advertising for them?

the Dread Pirate Roberts! That's it, I'm getting this game  :D  :D  :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Absolutely. I think the first Pirates Of The Caribbean helped it a lot. They can't really go wrong with fairly subtle references, which there do seem to be a few of (if I recall, but I can never remeber exactly...).