Login |  Register |  FAQ

Field of Glory - opinions

Post subject: Field of Glory - opinions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ive only read the rules and wasnt satisfied. I have yet to play though. To me its just a complicated way to throw a lot av dice. The mechanism isnt good enough to compete with more simplified ones (DBx/Armati). The troop types seems more diversified than DBx but boil them down a bit youll see they are not.

I have played DBMM (and DBM and DBx before that) and can recomend it. It still written in Barkerese but for me, ruleswise, its way better than FOG.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:00 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(Markconz @ Mar. 24 2008,09:50)
It's down the bottom on the main page in the "Latest Reviews" reviews section.

I think that I read somewhere that they were updating the site, and the DNS servers were being updated gradually. I guess that you guys on the other side of the globe got updated before we did over here.

I am glad to see that the site is back up and running (although I hate their PDF download page).

The review is pretty fair, and I agree with it in general. I am a little more cautious about FoG, but the reviewer is pretty spot on with comments.

Thanks. How was your tournament day?

Mohawk - I guess that the opinions on the rules is a personal thing. I have never really got on with DBx in any way, and that includes HotT.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:09 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(CyberShadow @ Mar. 20 2008,14:02)
This is a confusing set to sit and read through, partly due to the way that it is set out, and partly due to the writers trying to get every eventuality into the rules. For example, the movement rules deal with all movement in the same space, leaving me feeling that it is really more complicated than it should be. The rules on movement start on page 40... and finally end on page 78! All that for moving troops.

Hypothetical example, if I am working out combat, I need to know what 'overlapping combat' is, and what troops armed with 'bow*' are.

I think that I know what these are now, but can anyone tell me the page number that explains what these two concepts is?  :confuse:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not that much into historical games; only lately I've had a vague attraction to them.  I thought WMA would be my intro (I've been keeping an eye on ebay), but at Salute I picked up a copy of FoG.  They knew what they were doing with the shiny, colourful layout!

As someone with a general idea of how WH/WM rules work, at first glance this doesn't seem too bad.  I still have to read it in-depth though, and parts already intimidate me.  If CS has problems, I'm even more intimidated!  And despite the basing allowances in appendix 1, I don't know if I'd enjoy using one basing system for two games, if I ever took up WMA.  I'm a stickler for that kind of accuracy.

From what I hear I could check out DBA or HOTT as simpler intros.  Good idea, bad idea?

Period: I'm interested in 16th century Japan, but it doesn't look like there'll be a FoG book covering that anytime soon. (Will it be called Divine Wind, CS?).  Otherwise, I'm interested in Edward Bruce's invasion of Ireland, and Ulster in particular, c. early 14th.  Any advice if Storm of Arrows would be applicable?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i too have been looking at FOG, im undecided as to whether im going to try it out, ive read all the reviews i could find around the net, and opinions seem mixed.  

Would my warmaster ancient armies need to be re-based?

it just looks so nice........................... :devil:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Sergeant_Crunch @ Mar. 21 2008,02:12)
I figure I have until those plastic figure lines come out before I make a decision.

Plastic ancients? 6mm?

2 Tuesdays back me and gavin meta chap who had spent the last three years making a 8500 man 6mm roman army.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

From what I hear I could check out DBA or HOTT as simpler intros.  Good idea, bad idea?

HoTT (Hordes of the Things) is essentially a Fantasy version of DBA, so if you are looking for an Ancients version then DBA is the option. The game is simpler and set up for tournament play. Sides are essentially even, and a unit is represented by a group of about four minis on a base. If you are interested in competitive play, DBA is probably a better call. If you want more scenario based or 'accurate' (and I use the term loosely) then FoG may be better.

As for basing, with most Ancients games it doesnt really matter as long as both sides use the same system.

Period: I'm interested in 16th century Japan, but it doesn't look like there'll be a FoG book covering that anytime soon. (Will it be called Divine Wind, CS?).  Otherwise, I'm interested in Edward Bruce's invasion of Ireland, and Ulster in particular, c. early 14th.  Any advice if Storm of Arrows would be applicable?

I am also interested in the same period, and specifically the Japanese invasion of Korea. There are a number of potential sets for this.

I think that FoG will take a while to have a force book with this. Leaving aside other 'general' rules sets, the main one used is Killer Katanas 2. I am also looking at the new Peter Pigs rules set (set up for 15mm and released at salute). Divine Wind has been delayed but should be with us soon, as a suppliment for WHA.

Would my warmaster ancient armies need to be re-based?

The FoG rules state that 15mm (and smaller figures) should use bases of 40mm wide. Depths differ, but you can ignore base depth fairly easily, so you should be OK.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Shiny. ?I'll take a look around. ?Ta CS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll be using my WMA armies for my test plays of FOG when I get round to trying it. As CS says the depth shouldn't matter and as long as both armies are based the same you should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:08 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

What would you recomend for 28mm Ancients?

I have never played DBM/DBA with my gaming background being W40k/WFB/Epic with current games played being LOTR/Warmachine/Flames of War.

I am eying up the new plastic EI Romans and Celts already released by Warlord Games and the forthcoming Reblican Romans & Celts to be released by Wargames Factory (and no I dont mean Wargames Foundry!!).

1) Basing- not yet comitted although I have seen figures based 4 per 40mm square base in 2 ranks, which look quite cool.

2) Period- want to do Romans vs Celts but also use to cover variety of periods

3) I am in the middle between fast play and realism. For example for WW2 then FOW has the perfect level of detail to me. I would be looking something similar to FOW but for Ancients.

Because I am going for 28mm that would rule out WMAB. That leaves me undecided between Warhammer Ancient Battles and Field of Glory.

I have previously bought the WHAB main rulebook and the first 3-4 supplements they released. I liked it at the time for the way it presented Ancients gaming and also the rules seemed very familiar after WFB.

I know FOG have link up with Wargames Factory for their forthcoming 28mm hard plastics. But from what I have read about the rules over on TMP it seems as if FOG is most suited for 15mm figures.

I am asking the questio here rather than TMP because i dont want responses from guys that have played Ancients gaming for the last 20 years. I am more interested in hearing how gamers new to Ancients have found WHAB vs FOG.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't believe everything you read at TMP.  Before the rules were released the 28mm guys were screaming that the end of the world was nigh because FoG was 15mm centric, then when Wargames Factory announced their relationship with FoG the 15mm guys started screaming the same thing.  I've never seen a bigger bunch of chicken littles than some of the people who post at TMP.  From what I've been able to determine, FoG should play just fine with 28's or 15's.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

True. FoG is built for both 28mm and 15mm, and basing standards are given in tables for both sizes.

I have never really understood the issues about scale in element based ancients games. I would rather play two forces in game, one at 28mm and one at 15mm based the same, than I would a game with two 'non-historical' forces.

I am not sure that I would describe FoG as 'fast play' in any sense! A standard game will take several hours - some reviews have it at more than four for a 'normal game'. Check out Impetus. The basic rules are free:

http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basic2.html

Romans and Celts will certainly give you a large set of potential enemies to face, so that should maximise your games.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hi C/S

How did you base your figures for FoG? Was this for 28mm?

WAB figures are based individually on 20mm square bases. Would I be able to base FOG elements in multiples of 20mm? e.g. I am thinking of basing the figures in rows of 3 wide on 60mm width base or preferably 4 wide on 80mm width base.

The thinking is then I could use the figures for either WAB or FOG.

I would want Romans in particular to be quite closely based to represent their close order combat fighting. I might want to base the barbarians a bit more spread out.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:08 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

My infantry are based for Vis Bellica - my rules set of choice. I use the basing system at 60mm wide (I use this size no matter what scale of models - I just get a load more 6mm troops for a unit, which looks really cool, and it means I dont hae to buy 48 diffrerent sizes of base), and this usually fits most element base sets, and I think it is 28mm in DBA, which sets the standard for lots of other games as well.

It is perfectly possible to sabot base your troops. Three troops on 20mm bases gives the correct base width. At the end of the day, most system will allow pretty much whatever basing you like, as long as both sides use the same convention.

I think that the only thing that you will miss with 'double basing' individual troops into elements is the interaction between models. A true element based unit can have figures interacting more, which is more interesting to paint and put together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I took a read thru the rules when they showed up at the FLGS (it's nice when the owner also runs one of the most successful small bookstores in the area, and gets books shipped to him as 'enticement' to order more!).

I immediately noticed the *very pretty* layout of the book.  Every page has at least one diagram or picture of a game in play, which helps visualizing the rules.  It's too bad that the rules read like Starfleet Battles, but even more poorly organized.  It's like reading a legal contract...

The rules would really benefit from an organized set of "here's what you need to know to play" sidebars with the core rules, and then give pointers to the exceptions/special cases in the rules.

It's nice that the rules support more BASES than DBx, since a total of 12 stands just doesn't look like an army.  I play skirmish games with a higher 'element' count than that!  There's a good case for an army consisting of somewhere in the neighborhood of 36-48 bases, with 4 28mm figures per base (8 or more, if you use 15mm).