Login |  Register |  FAQ

Warmachine

Post subject: Warmachine
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've bought a few of these minis and painted them up...

I think it was the titanisque look of the jacks that got me. Now if only this company sold bitz! I actually have a spare fist.. and it's going on a chaos titan that's for sure! :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi KBD,

WM is amazing!

The local guys are crazy for it.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:25 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hi KBD

Nice Khador!! Very realistic militaristic- not too garish.

I have some Cygnar- so far painted up the basic Cygnar box set i.e. Coleman Stryker, Ironclad, Lancer & Charger. I have another battlegroup (Victoria Haley, Defender, Lancer & Sentinel plus Journeyman Warcaster sitting on my painting table, having been based up and undercoated.

When I get them done I should have approx 650 points of Cygnar. I need to borrow friend's digi cam so that I can post pics.

Found it to be good fun beeer & pretzels game. Quick, fast paced, suiting agressive tactics but not stupid ones such as W40k. There is something primal about 8 tonnes of steam powered ironclad  monstrosities tearing the place up that appeals.

And like Rackham's confrontation, Privateer Press make some really stunning figures. Even better they seem to suit my painting style.  :D

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looked at it, but did a pass. I walked away from 28mm SciFi some time ago and unless I can use it for my 15mm/6mm stuff I do not want to get started again in 28mm.

Some nice figures and great paint jobs there though!

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I'm pretty much in Dafrca's camp. The game looks nice, but I'm pretty much not ever going to play 28mm.

Great paint job and photo!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (wargame_insomniac @ 02 Dec. 2005 (20:25))
Hi KBD

Nice Khador!! Very realistic militaristic- not too garish.

When I get them done I should have approx 650 points of Cygnar. I need to borrow friend's digi cam so that I can post pics.

You're 100% right - you need to borrow that cam!

And thanks - my inspiration was a T34 tank my dad did before he passed. So militaristic was what I aimed for :D

Cygnars can be some real PIA's.. I must admit that I haven't really got the grip of this game, but according to the folks at our gaming club (strange little club for age 20+ - a good thing really) it's supposed to be very strategic and for the cunning. I think it reminds me of the Magic The Gathering game which was ever so popular in the nineties.

Looking forward to seeing your minis  :devil:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (dafrca @ 02 Dec. 2005 (22:36))
Looked at it, but did a pass. I walked away from 28mm SciFi some time ago and unless I can use it for my 15mm/6mm stuff I do not want to get started again in 28mm.

Some nice figures and great paint jobs there though!

dafrca

Well I understand that 28mm needs another scale of terrain - and don't think I'm trying to sell something here, but WM plays with very few terrain pieces (3-5 size 6'' by 6'' roughly) and on 4x4 tables.

But then again I get tempted over and over again - in the last year I've bought and tried Urban War, Lord of The Rings (I never understood why everybody chooses to hate this game by default), Warmachine and Gothic Horror.

I've also bought some 20mm englishmen for Operation Overlord and some germans 15mms for Flames of War... plus a HORDE of WW1 15mm germans for Contemptible Little Armies - a WW1 game.. so I'm set for some time as I actually intend to paint these things - and of course, there's also all my epic armies that need taking care of!

:devil:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,

I know how you feel. I've avoided WM for the same reasons... I'm a small scale guy and 28mm is too big for me.

I really love the minis though and am hoping that they'll sell bitz. Tons of the WM minis would be great for conversions and as Epic proxies.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (MaksimSmelchak @ 03 Dec. 2005 (10:22))
Hi Guys,

I know how you feel. I've avoided WM for the same reasons... I'm a small scale guy and 28mm is too big for me.

I really love the minis though and am hoping that they'll sell bitz. Tons of the WM minis would be great for conversions and as Epic proxies.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Hi!

You got that right!

They would make some wonderful conversions for imperial titans, or even Tyranids in case of Cyrx.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:59 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

This game falls into the same camp as Starship Troopers for me - a game that everyone raves about and which I really want to like, but it just seems to be missing something for me. I cant quite work out why, but it doesnt appeal to me.

I downloaded the trial rules in the hope that I would like them, but I dont like the idea of having that one key mini which is central to the force and your game ends if you lose him. The game seems to be a little too simple for me, as well. Also, the minis just dont do it for me.

Are there any battle reports (with a bit of detail) out there?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know the "kill the caster" thing is a bit of a letdown.. no matter what mission you play the objective will almost always be overwritten by this. At least that's how I understand it.

It's not a game I'll dedicate my life to (we already have one of their Pressgangers or whatever their called in our club) - but I think it has some fun elements. I really like the shooting and combat system. Simplistic but quite challenging.
The whole Focus system is very challenging also.

Plus if you change caster your army changes character not to say playingstyle.

I just saw on pixels blog that they're making a sistergame called Hordes now, which is basicly a feral version of the game - big monsters instead of warmachines. But from what they've shown I think the models look like crap so far :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:23 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Yes, Hordes looks interesting, but I remain uninspiried by the minis (dark red jacks with skulls from a faction called Skorne?!).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I play using a Highborn Covenant force - led by Ashlynn D'elyse - struggling to liberate Llael from the Khadoran occupier!

By the way, the Hordes trial rules (and cards for the box set factions) are up on Privateer's website.

And I should point out that the skorne (and the three other Hordes factions) don't have jacks, they control - in the skorne's case, torture and brutally manipulate - warbeasts. The skorne control enslaved cyclops and giant elephantine Titan Gladiators.

And the red is the armour, which you can paint whatever way you like, of course (if anything, the skorne have a heavy samurai influence in terms of design)

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers

v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (CyberShadow @ 03 Dec. 2005 (22:59))
I downloaded the trial rules in the hope that I would like them, but I dont like the idea of having that one key mini which is central to the force and your game ends if you lose him. The game seems to be a little too simple for me, as well. Also, the minis just dont do it for me.

I have a Khador force myself. I love the game (and I'm over 30!:D ) as it is extremely tactical. It may not seem like it at first but you have to know when and where you lay your application of force or you can fall in the toilet. Knowing your enemy's abilities is the biggest challenge for me as thecombinations dished out vary from Warcaster to warcaster. The game already has 2 expansion releases under it's belt too and the best thing about the game is there is very little rules creep involved.

CS - try playing a few games more than a couple and use the main rules if you can(coz I think they've changed from the quickstart ones).

And if you're not sure about the 28mm you'll find the detail equal to if not better than some of the GW gear out there

Widowmaker (sniper type)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sigh - I'm trying, but it seems I'll have to order from abroad - and I preferred Khador too - I LOVE big red machines. And Dobbsy, that model IS great, but the paint job on the one at Privateer Press' site (the makers of WM) is incredible - the face is one of the most expressive I've seen in that scale. :D