Login |  Register |  FAQ

Playtesters Wanted!

Post subject: Playtesters Wanted!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legionnaire Games is looking for a few good tabletop generals to do some outside playtesting for our upcoming fantasy massed battles game, With Sword and Shield. It’s a ‘generic’ game (not tied to any miniatures line or fictional background), so it’s easily adapted to any setting using the miniatures lines of your choice. The game is best suited for 3mm to 15mm figures mounted on multi-figure stands, but the game can be played with larger (25+mm) figure scales with a little extra effort.

Game features include:

- a rulebook written in a programmed Instruction format to allow players to start their first game after reading just a few pages of rules;
-Simple formation, troop order and command and control rules that allow for a variety of battlefield tactics;
-Game functions that use multiple polyhedral die types;
-Unit casualties are measured in bases, not individual figures;
-Rules for regular and elite troops and cavalry, horde units, leaders, heroes, mages, clerics, large and very large creatures, war engines and constructs;
-Over 150 different unit attributes that impart a unique function to each unit type;
-Over 80 unique spells and miracles so that your mages and clerics have some way to smack each other around without throwing rocks across the table;
-Several pre-generated army lists to use during your playtest games (and even more when the book’s contents are finalized);
-Game lengths of roughly 1 to 2 hours, with each side having a dozen or so units;
- Several optional rules for those wanting a slightly more detailed and varied gaming experience;
-Complete unit construction rules and army composition guidelines for use in both friendly and competitive gaming environments.

Oh, yeah - playtesters will be compensated, too:

 File a minimum of 2 battle reports and you’ll receive a free PDF copy of the final rulebook.
 File a minimum of 5 battle reports and you’ll receive a free PDF copy AND be eligible to receive a free softcover edition of the rulebook! Testers that file the highest number of the most complete game reports are eligible, but only a limited number of printed books will be made available.
 Create a compelling, unique army list and see it included in the final product!
 Players that receive complimentary copies and/or submit accepted army lists will also be listed in the book’s credits.

Still interested?

Send an email to info at legionnairegames.com with FANTASY PLAYTEST in the subject line and we’ll add you to the list to receive a playtest kit.

Pretty simple, eh?

Looking forward to hearing from some of you - and thanks for reading!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Playtesters Wanted!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This sounds interesting and fun!
Though, what is the basing system so we know if our existing armies are suitable for With Sword and Shield?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My gf and I have a YouTube channel where we do KoW, SoBH, a HotT reps. We'd be interested, but like guy above said, what are the basing conventions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I saw that this is quite an old post but is there any movement for With Sword and Shield? I didn't see it listed on the Legionnaire website although there was some mention of it on TMP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is on wargames vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/201 ... iants=true

Not played a game but have a copy. Reminded me a bit of impetus but with a warmaster style basing system (as in, not the size of the base, but the way a bunch of bases together make a unit). Seemed like a decent set of rules.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With Sword and Shield is actually a really cool set of rules, I feel like it is a shame it doesn't seem, to get too much airtime on any forum. I feel like one of its greatest strengths is, similar to the Strike Legion series of scifi games, you can pretty much create a unit to match any flavor of anything you have in your head.

In terms of stats you have a Will die, a Skill die, a defense stat, a melee stat, an attack stat, wounds, movement, and formation type. There are also a bunch of weapon and unit attributes you can assign for additional flavor. It gives you the opportunity to make some granular differences between troops if you want to.

For example, take a unit of molemen with pick-axes. Will is used for morale and other tests, I know I want to represent their free will and morale and such, so I assign them a Will of D8. Troop order effects how the troops are able to move on the table. I don't really see the moles being too formal with their pick-axes, so I make them Irregulars.

Troop class effects coherency range and the min/max stats the unit can have. I make them File, as they are sort of regular troops in my eyes, not Rabble and not Elites, so File is a sort of in the middle choice. Now, being that they are primarily an attack unit, I figured I would give them a melee value of 3 and a defense value of 2., with a Skill die of d6. I limited the skill die to d6 as I want to save higher dies for elite troops and monsters and such, to make them have a bigger impact. I also assign a move characteristic of 5.

I figure, how tough can a mole be? So I give them 3 wounds per base. For flavor, I give them the great weapon attribute (pickaxes), night vision (they are moles after all), and Testudo. The Testudo is basically there to simulate the moles quickly burrowing underground to get extra defense from missile attacks.

Next I want to stat up some Stonemen warriors to go with the moles. Since I have the moles done, I can use them as my point of reference. I know that I want the stonemen to be tougher, but they are probably a bit slower, so maybe not quite as good in melee. So to contrast I makae them Formed infantry, because I figure they move more rigidly, like March of the Wooden Soldiers kind of thing. I give them a lower will die of d6, since I figure they are sort of like slow slave constructs. I give them 1 less attack, but swap the defense and melee characteristics, so they have 1 higher defense and 1 less melee, in addition to 4 wounds per base instead of 3. I also give them 1 less movement (movement 4)

To continue in their theme of tough, stalwart constructs, I give them the Fanatic, Stubborn and Immutable rule. The fanatic rule can let an attached mage unit sacrifice one of its wounds in exchange for casting power, which I figure will work well with the geomancers controlling the stonemen. Immutable gives them extra magic defense, because I figure they are made of solid rock. Stubborn allows the unit to have a better chance of removing negative morale effects.

So anyway, you can see that there are a lot of options for making different troop types and expanding on certain themes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It sounds like it is a lot like Dragon Rampant for 28mm. You can basically make your units however weak or powerful you want based on the stats and attributes you want to give them. Some of the generic rule sets aren't too bad for taking and using whatever figures you want to work with.