Login |  Register |  FAQ

Warmachine Mk2

Post subject: Warmachine Mk2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's HERE!

In rather surprising move PP released Mk2 rules of Warmachine(including unit cards) 4 months before official release date! No fancy art, no diagrams and generally boring looking black text on white background but rules are final ones.

Rather nice move IMHO. Now we can start playing with Mk2 rules already. I wonder when first Mk2 event is organised in Finland? I'm in for sure!

Turns out I have 59 points of cygnars in new edition(plus 6 warcasters to choose from) and 80 points(plus 2 warcasters) for Khador. Also 4 points of mercenaries.

Haven't looked that much around yet but noticed few things:

a) Vladimir(basic) got nerfed a bit. No more blood of kings and signs and portents at same time. GOOD! I was sick and tired of that obvious combo. And I'm Khador player who has only Vlad and Sorcha for warcasters ;-)
b) Drakhun lost d3 attacks. Ah well. Doesn't matter. Always threw 1 attack anyway ;-)
c) Mortar +1RAT. Maybe I actually hit something once in a blue moon now? Especially with sign. 3d6(drop lowest)+3. Average probably 11 or thereabout. Might just hit warjack atleast once in a while.
d) winter guard rockets aren't one shot anymore. Good. I need to have 3 models for full compliment for unit. Bad. Need to buy 2 more models!
e) Sword knights lost second attack. Darn! Instead can cause 1 damage automatically(or did they have that before?). Humhum. Not so "slice 'em up" knights as they were before when they tore up khador warjack without a sweat!
f) Generally like what I see! Not too sure about on/off unit sizes(either minimum or maximum) but with reduced scale on points hard to do otherwise unless you want to have decimal points...I mean if in current system 6 troops cost 6 points and 10 troops cost 9 points and this is deemed balanced how to make it so that you can have 1-4 extra trooper? Each trooper would cost 0.75 points? I think not...

Overall looks good so far. Need to read more when I have time.

Edit: Seems servers are "little" slow there so don't wonder if it takes a while ;-) I guess tons of eager warmachine fans are dying to get their hands on those...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My hat is off for Privateer Press.  :D They probably know they won't lose much as people like me will buy the book anyway when it arrives.  :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Mojarn Piett @ Sep. 22 2009, 11:10 )

My hat is off for Privateer Press.  :D They probably know they won't lose much as people like me will buy the book anyway when it arrives.  :)

Yea I don't think this will hurt sales. SURE you have all the rules here but I know I prefer good proper book and cards when it comes to playing. I can "make do" with these but once book(and real cards) come available I'll get them just because it's lot nicer to read them than bunch of printed paper ;-)

But nice gesture for their fans. Now, for good or bad, we can lay rumours down and really SEE what new edition is like and start playing new edition right away.

Good move from PP. Certain other company could take notice ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Coo, not only that but I've resisted this so far, and now am seriously tempted by their general sportsmanship :)
Say, am I a target demographic now?  :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (vanvlak @ Sep. 22 2009, 17:44 )

Coo, not only that but I've resisted this so far, and now am seriously tempted by their general sportsmanship :)
Say, am I a target demographic now?  :p

Lol that too. Should also make it easier to lure new players into the game. Afterall getting into the game can't really get cheaper than this with free PDF's available ;-) You are demoing the game you can point out to prospective players that complete rules are available on their website.

I wonder if they keep the rules available after the launch. Hopefully yes since this would be good method to hook new players.