Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Laserstorm Rules

Post subject: Re: Laserstorm Rules
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have created some units using the formula over the weekend. I started to use the so-called assembly line which allows you to equip several pre-designed vehicle hulls with the desired equipment, but soon after I built the first toys from scratch. Even this works fast and seems to keep the game in balance if you don't build something extreme. I really like the idea to use multipliers that make the same gun much more pricey if mounted on a super heavy hull which will survive much longer and therefore shoot more often. I will have to play some games, but I'm quite excited for the moment. My only complaint is the lack of aircraft and anti-aircraft rules, which could be easily done by stealing some ideas from the NetEpic rules, I think. In general LASERSTORM is inviting you to tweak it the way you want. I will definetly think about adding +1 to hit modifiers for half distance and a penetration bonus for shots on side and rear armor to make infantry more effective against vehicles. It will be also possible to create new traits for units and guns.
I think my 6mm stuff is going to see much more playing action in the next weeks. LASERSTORM is going to be my game of choice until I can give Polyversal a try (in three years or so) or until Primarch has finished the facelift for HERESY.

Two thumbs up, Mr. Sorensen! I will have lots of fun, I guess.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ive purchased it too, however the whole bg building process confused me straight away last night when i was reading it.... You make units, then several units become a BG, you have 3 BG per army... so what are strike forces then??? Ill have another read, It could be because I was tired! ;D

Overall im liking the look of it however and will need to give it a try.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ditto i've bought it as well, very interesting what i've seen so far i'm about half way through. Probably give it a go sometime but may need to trim back some of the rules/detail for really big games but then again until you try it out you don't know if you need to i suppose.

Anyway a tentative thumbs up at the moment.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We tried the intro scenario game today and it went very well. Having literally played hundreds of games of Epic A, I must say LS is every bit it's equal, and probably better IMHO. Making up your own units is great and I'll soon have NAC Ogres facing Renegade Legion Grav Tanks. While overall positive about the rules, I still have doubts vis morale and removing ineffective units (they make great targets ;D ), but he has some rules variants that might cure my misgivings.
LaserStorms main problem as I see it is lack of publicity. It needs a main heading here at TacCom, a major new release heading on TMP, and more about it. New stuff coming out for it (say release army list every few days for converting Ork, Dwarf, Kraytonians , Edenites, etc to LS) or FAQ's to give it more exposure. Otherwise these excellent rules will sink into obscurity. :'(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

True... the author seems to be kind of shy. If Primarch didn't inform me about this ruleset I would never have found it.
Morale rules can be tailored easily like you need them, the author himself suggests a 12" withdrawal move that could be combined with penalties on shooting and close combat. The idea of having suppression simulated by throwing a 1 on the to hit die is awkward, but seems to work fine. So much easier than counting shots/hits/firepower or blastmarkers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Calico_Bill wrote:
We tried the intro scenario game today and it went very well. Having literally played hundreds of games of Epic A, I must say LS is every bit it's equal, and probably better IMHO. :'(

I say steady on old chap you'll be excommunicated for making such an outrageous statement. :tut ;D

Seriously though it's always nice to try new rules sets especially if you find that you really like them.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After having read through the rules, I set out to try them out this weekend.

I set up a card table with some terrain and using the introductory scenario provided in the rule book, I threw some Eldar against some Space Marines. The stats for identical armies are provided in the scenario.

I found the game mechanics to be pretty straight forward and I really like the activation and reaction system. I look forward to playing again and will be working on adding stats for some of my existing armies so they have a bit of flavor to them.

You can read my review and the full AAR on my blog. http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2015/09/laserstorm-6mm-grand-warfare-first-play.html

http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice AAR Sean. Thanks for posting it. :D
I'm doing my second intro game now, though using SM and IG minis. I enjoy these rules very much and feel they make for an exciting, fast flowing game. I agree that the summary sheet leaves much to be desired. I'm going to cut and paste all the "Boot Camp" sections onto mine for starters. I disagree about a card for every unit. I like the present rule as is. Having 2+ units activate sequentially allows you to 'punch holes' for the others or give a better combined arms feeling, a plus over EA.
I still worry that these excellent rules will be buried under more flashy new products and few will know they ever existed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Calico_Bill wrote:
I still worry that these excellent rules will be buried under more flashy new products and few will know they ever existed.

Well... Polyversal will never see birth, it seems. And the market is not overflowing with weekly 6mm stuff. If we keep this thread busy, we do a lot for it's survival. I would be highly interested in further unit creations and will share mine, too. It would also be a good idea to share weapon lists.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had my first solo-game playing IG against Eldar. The IG won due to good to-hit-rolls and several well used snap actions while the Eldar failed to make any advantage from their higher mobility. It was a quick fun game of 1000 points on each side and was played in under 40 minutes. I didn't have to consult the rules much often, everything played fluently and well. I tried out the morale system and have to say I like it. After disappearing from the field two broken Leman Russ managed to join another battlegroup and helped to destroy the Eldar's mechanized infantry on the other side of the table - FUN!
My first impression is very positive, though I need to play more often. The units seemed to be well balanced and I had losses on both sides. I really liked the save system, since a vehicle is well protected against infantry, while it can be quite vulnearable to other tanks. Even the super heavy Tempests I used were shot to pieces easily once they took hits from the Siege Cannons of the IG's Baneblades. All other incoming fire from smaller units before had been simply ignored.
I didn't get to test Close Combat, but I think it would work well, too. Overall I am quite excited to finally have a 6mm game with a usable point cost formula, units carrying out their actions individually and weapons that are distinguishable from each other. Laserstorm seems to be the game I was waiting for, since I need something quick and easy for my opponents who are not in the tabletop hobby, but like to have a beer and bretzel battle.
I really hope that Ivan Sorensen will provide more units and maybe even rules for fliers. Everything else is there and works well! :spin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey gang. Thank you to the kind admin that approved me :)

Ivan, the author-dude here.

Glad to hear you lot are enjoying the game. It turned out pretty well, I think and I figured I'd keep an ear to the ground in here, since it seems the primary place for 6mm talk in general.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:46 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Great to see you along Ivan, welcome!! Looking forward to seeing the lists you come up with as mentioned in the other thread. I vote for Brutes first. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Hey there Ivan!

Glad to see some of the original net epic members still playing 6mm and coming up with great stuff!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey man :)
Wouldn't be here without you, probably.

Once you get the 6mm flavour, it never really ever goes away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

runequester wrote:
Hey man :)
Wouldn't be here without you, probably.

Once you get the 6mm flavour, it never really ever goes away.

Hi!

Old hands like us, never disappear. We just adapt and put out more stuff! ;D

Glad your back!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next