Login |  Register |  FAQ

Robotech RPG Tactics

Post subject: Robotech RPG Tactics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's FINALLY out! Anyone excited about this one?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/ ... /plb55100/

Skull Squadron here I COME!

Attachments:
Robotech_Skull_Squadron.jpg
Robotech_Skull_Squadron.jpg [ 206.13 KiB | Viewed 6186 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Robotech RPG Tactics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Finally! Thought I never would see the day. Less excited about the game (though I hear it's fun) and more just want the models.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"finally" if you live in america, or buy from america.

if you're a backer from, say, australia, your wave 1 pledge wont arrive for atleast another two months, more likely to be four or five. wave 2 pledge may never show up at all.

Also, the models are apparently really poor quality, badly designed, over complex, laid out on sprues terribly, generally awful and easily broken. and the rules are apparently also poorly balanced, poorly written, and generally not very good.

In somewhat related news, anyone want to buy my hypothetical $700 pledge off me? >.>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:48 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Wait... They are shipping to US addresses first and ignoring the rest of the world for a few months after that? That stinks! And why wont wave 2 pledges arrive at all?

And, how do they mess up a VF-1... Kawamori had the things designed 30 years ago and they havent changed. Sounds like I dodged a bullet on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did not back the Kickstarter because I did not believe it would ever come about. I have read the Palladium RPG rules and they are terri-bad. I had low hopes for it being any good even if it did get made.

However, I will probably go out and get the Starter Set from my FLGS because I have wanted the models since I became a wargamer back in the late 80's. For the game I will most likely make my own rules anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=28192

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, so the run down is this:

Palladium are currently a year late on delivering their Wave1 product. They "finished" sending out all their North American Backer products (I say "finished" because the timeline is actually bogus and at the time they still had many canadian backers still to ship) and Preorders from Gencon. At this point, they decided that they had fulfilled their "Backers get it first" and shipped out to North American Distributors.

(actually, they decided that since they had product on hand, they would ship to distributors in time for black friday, and screw everything else. The timeline is such that claims they sent all parcels to canadian backers before sending to any distributors is bogus, as shown by atleast one backer whose tracking info shows the parcel lodged the day before his LGS had the product on shelf, and 7 days before he actually got it, so unless the distributor has a teleporter to pick up product and then get it to LGS, those parcels were shipped atleast 4 days before backers were done, most likely a week or so)

Anyway, meanwhile, plans are that they're now shipping to Europe, but comments from the kickstarter provide emails from palladium showing they have not actually sorted out distributors for Europe yet.
After they finish doing Europes stuff (which I very much don't believe will be done before February, I actually expect March or April) they will then get around to doing Australia (I can personally confirm that as of a month ago they did not know who would be shipping their Australian stock)
Oh, and these products will apparently be shipped by slow boat, which means that when they Do get around to shipping to australia, it will take probably two more months for the first of those shipments to arrive at the backers doorsteps. Me, I'm expecting mine later than that. Meanwhile, I could buy from the US and get it delivered here in time for christmas, at slightly higher than kickstarter prices. I also pretty much guarantee that Australian LGS's will have it in stock by the end of the year, because I know for a fact that several used to use US distributors, and I don't believe that has changed.

So it boils down to this. Palladium decided that "All Backers Get Theirs First" meant "All Backers In North America Get Theirs Sent Before (or slightly after) We Send To Distributors, Who Will Sell Around The World But We Will Pretend That Doesnt Happen, Meanwhile, Australian Backers Will Get Theirs 6 Months After It Went On Sale In America, But They Probably Cant Sue Us So Whatever" (or I guess, just "Palladium Lies About Everything")

As for the models, here is a better rundown (along with pictures)
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... 73793&st=0
have also heard from many other sources (as yet, I don't think anyone has claimed to be able to get a Recon Pod assembled without breaking it)

But it boils down to: "Parts are incredibly small and fragile, connection points to sprue are very big and very closely packed making it very hard to clip from sprue without breakage. huge number of parts (17+) often with recessed seams in bad places, no instructions, no parts numbers, plastic is not good quality, detail is a bit soft and plastic itself is brittle (contributing even more to the fragility issue)"

It basically looks like fairly cheap model sprue from 15-20 years ago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those look terrible. Might as well buy the Battletech lawsuit copies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just picked this up.

I have to admit, looking at the Valks sprue intimidated me a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Uhhhg how sad. I AM DISAPPOINT. :(

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Uhhhg how sad. I AM DISAPPOINT. :(

Exactly how I feel right now :'(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I ssnapped a pic of the Veritech Battloid Sprue and the directions for your viewing pleasure.

I don't plan on building these for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I assembled 4 Veritech Battloids (minus the arms). It took me nearly 5 hours of constant scraping and filing and puttying to get the seams down, plus the usual agony of just assembling those tiny little pieces. When I was done, I slapped some paint on one (wish I hadn't, the red in my water affected the white I was using--a stupid, noob mistake that I should have known better; now I have to go and assemble a new battloid to replace the crap one) and I ruined it. The Battle Pods were much easier, though only relatively so (not including the Scout Pod). The destroids were between the Veritchs and Battloids in difficulty.

Once together, everything is fine, but there is no real excuse whatsoever that these little miniatures should be treated as complicated, skill 5 model kits--at the RT demos, they had metal miniatures that had good details and were strongly assembled. They can't pull the "less expensive" lame excuse with me, because for every bit of money they saved doing it this way, they're going to lose a customer over it.

It's the main reason why I'm dragging my feet on this and still debating to get rid of my lot or not. I'll keep what I have assembled, which isn't much, but the rest is going to sit and rot for a while until I make a re-final decision.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders