Login |  Register |  FAQ

Mongoose 6mm

Post subject: Re: Mongoose 6mm
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@pixelgeek: LOL! You are very probably correct. I should stop looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I once played a WHFB game using the just published Lost & the Damned book. I had Nurgle, he had Khorne off Slaves to Darkness. I had Nurgle's Rot and some toughness bonuses. He had 40k weapons in a fantasy context. I never reached the middle of the table.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlos wrote:
I once played a WHFB game using the just published Lost & the Damned book. I had Nurgle, he had Khorne off Slaves to Darkness. I had Nurgle's Rot and some toughness bonuses. He had 40k weapons in a fantasy context. I never reached the middle of the table.

Well kudos to you for at least having a go.

I bought 8th because I recently rediscovered some old Citadel Eternal Champion figures in my dead lead collection and was inspired by them. I don't think I've got the full box set but I've got Elric, Moonglum, Hawkmoon, Corum and possibly Erekose, enough for some Lords/heroes/Champions and doing a Michael Moorcock inspired Chaos army is very appealing. Of course the last time I played WFB was 2nd edition so things have changed quite a bit since then.

Speaking of Mike Moorcock and Games Workshop, I recently had a brief exchange with Mike concerning GW's copyright of his work - for example Mike invented the arrows of chaos symbol as a parady of the Union Jack yet GW now list it as part of their IP. He was throughly dismissive of their claims stating that they don't have a leg to stand on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:39 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Ouroboros wrote:
Speaking of Mike Moorcock and Games Workshop, I recently had a brief exchange with Mike concerning GW's copyright of his work - for example Mike invented the arrows of chaos symbol as a parady of the Union Jack yet GW now list it as part of their IP. He was throughly dismissive of their claims stating that they don't have a leg to stand on.

This is a long standing discussion - primarily about the eight-pointed Chaos star - and yes, it is generally agreed that GW have been totally ripping this off since the 80's and could be in big legal trouble. However, it's been going on for so long that I expect any legal case would be thrown out by now.

Post subject: Mongoose 6mm
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:
This is a long standing discussion - primarily about the eight-pointed Chaos star - and yes, it is generally agreed that GW have been totally ripping this off since the 80's and could be in big legal trouble. However, it's been going on for so long that I expect any legal case would be thrown out by now.

Yes. Any IP protection is only valid if you actively use it and try to protect your IP. Secondly, you can only copyright or trademark actual representations of an idea. An idea has no legal protection.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

pixelgeek wrote:
CyberShadow wrote:

Yes. Any IP protection is only valid if you actively use it and try to protect your IP. Secondly, you can only copyright or trademark actual representations of an idea. An idea has no legal protection.

Question. So does this mean anyone could use the eight pointed star? Or is it no so used an abused by GW that they can argue that they own the copyright?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone could use AN eight-pointed star, but not THE eight-pointed star.

And if Moorcock ever had an illustration of the eight-pointed star that looks too much like GW's, they might still have a problem.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

Post subject: Mongoose 6mm
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blindhorizon wrote:
Question. So does this mean anyone could use the eight pointed star? Or is it no so used an abused by GW that they can argue that they own the copyright?

They own the copyright on their particular artwork. They also, IIRC, claim a trademark on something called the Chaos Logo but they don't show any examples of what that is. Trademarks are actually very narrowly defined IP protection.

Ultimately they could threaten legal action regardless of the actual extent of their legal protections.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mongoose never came out with a ground combat game in the Babylon-5 universe AKA GROPOS. They talked about it in their fanzine, but it never came out and they lost the license.

I have a decent-sized GROPOS force and was looking forward to it. But, such is life.

If they ever do come out with a 6mm Traveller game, snap it up quick before they abandon it or lose the license.

So far, noone has ever made 6mm traveller ground combat or fighter (air support) minis, although both 15mm and 25mm Traveller greound forces have appeared from different manufacturers.

There have also been starship-sized minis for Traveller and even decals.

Last edited by MaksimSmelchak on Sun May 20, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi M/S !!!! Glad to see you dropped by !!! ;) As far as Mongoose ... I too have not heard that many positive things about them. Regardless ... My fav 6mm Sci-fi figures after G/W-F/W(well not always !) are DRM, E/W, CinC, MicroWorld and GZG Infantry. And it looks like Angel Barracks is coming out with some. Plus there is are a few independents out there too !!! ;D

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Howdy L-4,

I have been getting more involved with 6mm sci-fi again and am frequenting the TC forums more often.

There are so many manufacturers these days. It's crazy. I keep recalling the 80's and 90's when there were just a handful of 6mm sci-fi manufacturers.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back to the show !! Yes, I'm keeping my 6mm SF purchases generally to the companies that I mentioned. With E/W and independents currently leading ... ;D