Login |  Register |  FAQ

Imperious Dominatus: Warfare in the Age of Horus.

Post subject: Re: Imperious Dominatus: Warfare in the Age of Horus.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Eldar are done but need revising and then formatting.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You guys (speaking to Peter, David and whomever else has been involved with ID) really need to approach GW and see, if they are thinking of re-releasing Epic in some form, if they could just use your set of rules under license or something like that? I am definitely being at least half serious here.

- Both of you have been around Epic since its creation, and it's evident looking at this ruleset that you understand what the system is about, what works and what doesn't.
- Created NetEpic, which is quite possibly the most enduring version of the game globally.
- That all of the modern 40k units are catered for (so Primaris, new SM vehicles, everything) and formula-based system is in place to create accurate points values and balancing. This must have been a lot of work, and any 'official' set of rules the developers would have to go through a similarly difficult process.
- It's a 'modern' game: The D10 system, the blessed lack of overblown special rules and a logical/intuitive set of mechanics. It looks and feels like what Epic should be if it were designed and built from the ground up in the modern era.

Might be worth a shot? Imagining a 'new era' of Epic here with your wonderful ruleset and some new Adrian Smith or Neil Roberts artwork on the cover of a box :)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the kind words brother. I doubt GW they would ask us if they did I would be happy to contrubiute, however they do like to keep stuff in house. Any release has been planned for years with them. If GW does release a new HH epic system buy it for the figures. Peter and I are looking at several core boxes each if it does /when come out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Was quite interesting that there didn't seem to be any contact at all between GW and the existing Epic community for the new game - the people that have spent two decades fine-tuning the rules and you would think have a firm grasp on what makes the game 'tick' and what makes it work. And we know that, from any endeavour, you do research beforehand and look carefully at what works (and does not) when you create something new, and that includes speaking to 'experts' on the topic. When BMW decided to enter the electric car market they spent a lot of time working with Toyota and have even used some of their engineering and components - they did not start with a blank sheet of paper and repeat mistakes that that other company had made years before.

So what do we take with the fact that GW hasn't done this? I guess to an extent they still have their 'on-site' experts, those that were involved in the original game, and one has to assume that at the very least Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers or Gav Thorpe etc. were consulted.
But, I also thought, do you they really care that much in creating an excellent game that is well balanced? The game will be released with a limited range of miniatures, which will be drip-fed over coming expansions. They probably view it as a 2-3 year project with 4-5 books and a medium number of SKUs. It's aimed at people who played Epic in the 90s (their most popular version commercially) who will dip back in, have never played Armaggedon or any of the community-written versions, and then just will tap out when the next game, probably BFG or similar, comes along.

There is no need for them to create the 'perfect' version of Epic (which it can never be in one sense, as there are no alien factions!). It will do what it says on the tin, without setting anyone's wargaming world alight.

Anyway, just a bit of a thoughts-dump on the new game. I do think there is going to be more than a need (perhaps more than ever before) for projects like ID, NetEpic, the continuation of the Armageddon community and things of that nature, for those who really love the scale and setting.