Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 80  Next

The Return of Adeptus Titanicus

Post subject: Re: The Return of Adeptus Titanicus
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stormwind wrote:
Forum ware Titans / proxies are more "true scale" and towards that size, anyway, aren't they? =-P

Still only 75% of the new size, assuming true-scale 8mm

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
Appreciation of metal has struck me as becoming increasingly dated. Plastics has got to be the most common and appreciated material for serious hobby work ever? (Oh, and by hobby, I mean the actual nerdy modeling hobby scene. Not "the hobby" in GW-speak )

And about the scale bump, it seems that some of our proxy suppliers have been more forward thinking than others :)

I've actually never understood how people could ever prefer plastic (or even worse, resin) over metal, unless of course you are indeed doing custom mods on your model and need a material that can be easily cut and drilled. In that one case, I get it, but in every other case, metal models beat the tar out of plastic or resin for me. It's not just that metal is much more durable, can be paint-stripped over and over again with no problem and is ultimately a much more valuable material... Metal models just have such a cool heft to them that makes them feel so much more substantial. After all, the White Dwarf sections were called 'Eavy Metal, not Flaky Resin!

Of course, I am as much a collector as a gamer... I want all the original 1990’s models that I stared at as a youth, not the newer plastic and resin stuff. If it was designed after 1997 or earlier than 1992 or 1991, it has no place on my shelf, personally speaking.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If it does come out at 8mm (or maybe even the more conventional 10mm) scale it would solve a couple of old problems:
1) space marines are bigger than IG - with new SMs and old IG, the size difference would really be apparent ;D
2) the classic how do 10 marines fit in 1 Rhino problem - easy, 10 6mm marines in an 8mm (or better, 10mm) Rhino - the downside being you cannot combine this trick with (1) above. :P
3) too few grots - now the 6mm orks can all be grots, and the 8mm (again, 10mm would be bettetr still!) would be proper orks, who tower over the poor old 6mm IG. :D
4) Squats - all 6mm models are now squats..... ::) ;)

Tyranids would just have a range of sizes of gribblies, Chaos is chaos (and the Chaos SM would have the same benefits as in 1 or 2).

I do have to admit it's nice to see GW taking an interest in Blood Bowl, BFG, Epic etc. though.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Commander Karth wrote:
I've actually never understood how people could ever prefer plastic (or even worse, resin) over metal, unless of course you are indeed doing custom mods on your model and need a material that can be easily cut and drilled.

I can't ever paint a metal model without paint rubbing off the corners or tips.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think this might be a chance for GW to do something different (not that they probably will) They could make the targeting, damage to specific parts of the Titan and weapons effects really complex BUT use an app to work out the results like in Golem Arcana. OK for us old hands that would take the fun away but for the newer generations it could be a way of getting them off their Xstations and Playboxes and into a real hobby.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Please no, Gw can't be trusted with that ! that app would have in-app purchases to get better damage control etc :sos

( i mean, i like the app idea in general, just not from GW :D )

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haha I hadn't thought of that!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not sure if we will see anything beyond a titan game, but here is hoping. If it turns out at 8mm I'll stick with my 6mm and pick bits that fit from any future range (such as better scale vehicles).

As for medium I do prefer metal but it depends a little on subject matter. I have been fortunate enough to aquire a forumware Marine Lander proxy - it so desperately needs to be in resin. I can only imagine what a F/W thunderhawk would feel like in metal. But when it comes to infantry metal IMHO is the best medium, back in the day I bought a large F/W Tau army - I gave up after a few bases given the attrition rate just on cleaning the models up (It then collected dust and I sold them a couple of years back at a small profit, which was then re-invested in other models). As for converting infantry (and vehicles for that matter) each medium has its pros and cons. My Ork battlewaggons and gunwaggons are largely based on the GW plastics with a healthy application of various bits of plasticard (so each vehicle is unique).

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Besides, 8mm Space Marines would make great true scale marines next to 6-7mm infantry!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some thoughts ...

Metal Gargants are too heavy IMO, And Not really needed. If you drop it you'll probably damage it and anything it falls on. The one plastic TL Gargant is much better ...
Another thing metal is heavier that plastic or resin ... which usually means more postage.

Hopefully if resin is used and I doubt it will, but the old resin FW used on Epic was extremely fragile and brittle and not gamer friendly. Great detail is fine ... but not if it breaks if you touch it a little too hard. I know FW has went away from that. But I has Gray Knights, Tau, IG Vehicles, etc., that I have to do. I have to use sprue to reinforce some things like smaller barrels, etc. My GKs are done, but I had to put the old Epic base banner poles on all to be able to use them.

Now, why do I bring this up ? After being involved with GW since '90 ... I've see Too many dumb, ungamer friendly things coming out of their "workshop" ... >:(

I use this example of FB Space Marine page.
Remember the 2d Addams Family movie ? Where Fester's wife Debbie was upset because as a child. >:( That she got a Malibu Barbie instead of the Ballerina Barbie she really wanted. :nooo And turned her into a homicidal maniac. :gah Because of her Great disappointment. :'(
Well don't be that Fester's Wife ! :o Don't be too surprised if you're disappointed Debbie with 8mm AT ... :wah

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have to agree there L4. I've been gaming since around 1980 in the good old days of Gobledigook and Thrud the barbarian. I still think GW does the most to promote the whole hobby (all be it with trying to attach the 40K AoS blinkers - instil product loyalty). My own hope is that it raises the profile of EA and we see an influx of gamers.

As for the rest of us we try and raise the profile of EA where we can and however we can. To that end I'll be at Partizan on the 22nd with another of my 6mm painiting 'clinics'. I'll have a selection of my Vanguard stuff with me, might even try and get samples of some other manufacturers painted up (Onslaught, Gregsters, Bradley Miniatures).

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

not sure why you would think no resin, L4. That's FW's entire shtick (that and they said Resin :D )

in danger of sending the thread further off course :spin
Attachment:
Thread Derailed.jpg
Thread Derailed.jpg [ 35.89 KiB | Viewed 8231 times ]

I'm with you on the barrels L4, especially the lascannons on FW Leman Russ. Those were notorious for breaking and should have never been modeled as long as they were. Resin is really good for bigger things, especially titans, that should NEVER be in metal due to the way stresses are applied across the joints. FW's infantry were silly choices for resin. The GK, like L4 said, were just way too brittle. OTOH I'd challenge anyone to make a plastic or metal flyer as good and still be as affordable as the TBrick was. By the time you worked around parting the damn thing to get rid of the undercuts and other limitations of plastic you'd end up with a nightmare to assemble and would be a fortune.

Probably the reason I've never really liked metal is 100% about what I came into modeling from. I grew up purchasing JP/TW imports, such as from Nitto or Hasegawa, where resin, injection moulding, and very high end parts are par course for large numbers of kits. Metal simply couldn't do the qualities they needed so it is very rare there for the most part. I'm fairly certain my first actual metal model ever was from a GW marine blister pack in 88. :o

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well that is just a hunch ... Hopefully they use the better resin they are using now. But saying that their stuff is damned expensive ! :o Regardless, I'd think plastic might be less expensive and they can/will charge "outrageous" prices. Having said that, I probably won't be buying any of this Epic "reset". I've got all I need with beaucoup to paint. 8)

And remember I'm a bitter old curmudgeon ... If I was around when they discovered fire. I probably would have "voted" - NO ... :whistle

Last edited by Legion 4 on Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do agree that they've been using a far better resin in the FW products now than in years past. Hopefully the go for the stricter QC they seem to have now. =/ Also something to be aware of is that much of the stuff sold as FW epic isn't actually from FW but from recasters. The quality is all over the place there. It doesn't help though that FW's moulds were way shot by the time they pulled epic due to the mandates from the parent corp.

The thing is all about economies of scale for the material. Plastic is dirt cheap once you pay for the initial costs of cutting the moulds which is stupid expensive. Once you pay for it though then it's a few pennies to make anything and is almost pure profit (and easy and fast to manufacture due to the way the machines work). The issue is that you need to move a bunch of product to make that work, even with the cheaper aluminum vs steel option. Resin works better for limited run and more boutique options, which if everyone remembers, is really the FW modus operandi. It's just that they're the only part of 40k products still made by gamers for gamers (unlike the GW design studio-if you can even call it that anymore) and the way HH was received (and sells), they can't even keep up with demand (a large part of the reasoning behind the BaC project designed by some FW folks but farmed out to the GW materials team for production).

Back to the actual product: I'm still wondering if we're going to actually see infantry in the way we're used to. That is, will they actually be something like a sprue of discrete figures that we paint and stick into a base or will it be more like an integrated single cast "unit" closer to what we see in Planetfall and DZC?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

malika2 wrote:
Time to be worried: http://recalcitrantdaze.blogspot.nl/201 ... rd-of.html
Quote:
Ok, not exactly much to show here except the poster below.

However talking to Andy Hoare, Mark Bedford and Chris Drew I can mention the following:

The game is set during the Horus Heresy in the spirit of the original Adeptus Titanicus.
It will begin with just Titans.
The scale will be 8mm - They decided on this scale after 3D printing a Marine, Dread, Leman Russ, Warlord and a Mastodon in three different scales. 8mm was deemed the best as you could see the details to the point of telling different armour marks apart but didn't make the Titans too big.
8mm will make a Warlord around 6" tall (that's what it looked like why Andy Hoare put his hands apart, don't blame me if the final model is smaller or larger...).
The models will be produced in resin by Forge World.
Typical force may be in the region of two Warlords, two Reavers and two-three Warhounds.
More Titan variants are possible.
Down the road infantry and tanks are to be introduced.
Other forces are also possible, this includes Xenos which can be introduced in a themed expansion, e.g. Adeptus Titanicus: Armageddon to bring in the Orks.
Currently the Titans are being 3D modelled by Chris Drew, the Warlord has been done as the 40k version was originally 3D modelled so it was a case of just scaling things down and getting it to work as a model which can be manufactured.

Worried? No, this is great news. Means we get new toys.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 80  Next