Login |  Register |  FAQ

Battlefleet Gothic

Post subject: Battlefleet Gothic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

good to see two fanbased forums up and running (Portmaw and Epic40K.

About epicomms:
this board has alot subforums for the experimental Eldar armies and such. Battlefleet Gothic has just one forum for discussion. I know this forum has more Epic players as BFG players but maybe it would be cool if you made a new development forum for Battlefleet Gothic. This filled with sticky threads on all races (thus not like Epic seperate Forums). These are used for development. Maybe another sticky for rules.

This way you can move your forum to a development forum for both Epic & BFG.

??

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19176

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First of all, welcome, blackhorizon!

I believe the reason for more Epic threads is because the current edition of Epic is in an "official" developmental stage for many races; hence, a "subforum" for each army/race. If GW were to develop new "official" rules for BFG, I would expect the same to happen.  

Another reason may be that on this forum Epic is more popular than BFG.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:21 am 
Hi, and thanks for the comments. The board struture is something that I have been thinking about a lot recently. There are changes on the horizon here. I will (eventually) be moving the entire site to a new domain, and changing the structure of these boards... but I may change the board strucutre before the move. (Although there are still a few things to iron out here first.)

I would be very happy to have a BFG development forum, and I would add it in an instant if I thought that it would be used. I will add the board shortly and we can see how it progresses.

The restructuring of the boards involves gathering all of the Epic areas of the boards together under the banner of EpiComms, all of the BFG areas under GothiComms, and the rest as general boards.

The only two reasons that Epic has more coverage than BFG is 1) there are more Epic members here, and therefore more Epic posts and threads, and 2) Epic development is more diverse than BFG development, and is currently still in an extremely developmental stage.

However, I do have plans and desires to increase the Gothic coverage from this site, as well as other exciting developments for the site in general. Stay tuned.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:38 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

blackhorizon - Can you contact me (email)? It seems that the email address in your profile is not functioning.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Cybershadow,

did you receive my e-mail?

I changed mine in the profile so it should work now.

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:06 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Yep. Message received. I await your follow up email. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:44 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Welcome blackhorizon. I'd love to see more BFG stuff here, it will be my next system to get into one of these days. It's the perfect system to work in with epic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:38 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I should open up this discussion to the community...

These forums will be changing in the future (near or far, depends on how organised I get... so probably far!). My goal is to gather all of the Epic boards together into a single forum, so that Epic players only need to access one area for their viewing. The same would then go for Gothic. blackhorizon and I are discussing ways to encourage more Gothic players to these boards. If anyone has suggestions for new boards to add or ways to do this, I would welcome them.

I will probably restructure the boards fairly soon. As some of you know, the site will move to a new address in the future, and I wanted to split the new site to group Epic and Gothic in the same way. There will also be a lot more changes happening behind the scenes and in structure, so stay tuned for more details.

Crossover stuff would is always welcomed (one of the reasons that this site was initially set up was to generate cross-over rmaterial), and will continue to be welcomed.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CS and BH, with a welcome to the latter, and congrats to both for the BFG initiative: one question - would there be the equivalent of Epic champions for the fleets, or would you consider these not to be required? If you have the bandwidth, I'd say go for something similar and parallel to Epciomms' Epic bits - a section on each fleet's rules would be nice. I'd personally  split modelling and rules and gaming sections, with joint website news and stuff and trades etc. I'd like to see BFG and Epic remain closely linked. I'd also be pleased to see the BFG comp given a boost to similar levels as the Epic one, although I realise the prizes can be a problem. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the welcomes. For the record I was long time lurker here.

The intention is indeed to make BFG at the forum like Epic with fleet development and such.
From what I learned is that the EPic champions have quite an influence on the official rules authors, isn't it?

With BFG we don't have such a structure. I also think for the beginning it's not necessary to have BFG champions. The thing I like to see is a place where you can discuss the fleets. SG doesn`t provide in this on their own forum.

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As Cybershadow made the discussion public I will post my view on what I would like to see in the BFG area:

- Discussion (obvious, everyone wants something like this
- Painting & modelling
- Official Rules questions (not necessary, since people would    visit SG for these things)
- Tactics & Strategies
- Experimental House Rules
- Fleet development
- a subforum or sticky (I don`t know what`s possible technically), for each fleet that would be 10 if I`m not mistaken (IN, Chaos, Corsair Eldar, Craftworld ELdar, Dark Eldar, Necron, Tau, Tyrannids, Orcs, Space Marines (to CS:I always forget them).

- what does fleet development do: new ship designs, new rules for races, ideas.

With the oncoming Armada review, this would be a good place to discuss the Armada Fleets,
really since the SG site doesn`t provide this. So 'discuss Armada' would be the slogan ;)

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:24 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Hi. I may as well reply to your email here, to keep things open.

- Discussion (obvious, everyone wants something like this
- Painting & modelling
- Official Rules questions (not necessary, since people would    visit SG for these things)
- Tactics & Strategies
- Experimental House Rules
- Fleet development
- a subforum or sticky (I don`t know what`s possible technically), for each fleet that would be 10 if I`m not mistaken (IN, Chaos, Corsair Eldar, Craftworld ELdar, Dark Eldar, Necron, Tau, Tyrannids, Orcs, Space Marines (to CS:I always forget them).

I agree with these, but I would probably rename the 'official rules discussion' to 'rules clarification and discussion'. I would also add a dedicated trade board for Gothic, and one seperate board for the (hopefully annual) GothiComp.

I am not sure if seperate stickys are required exactly. Would this be inside the rules development forum? I assume that it would and that we could (to start with, at least) just post here and try to make the thread titles clear.

Sounds good. I would agree that it is best to keep this kind of development into a specific, single forum, rather than seperate ones for new vessels, new fleets, etc. This would also cover background (at least initially).

With the oncoming Armada review, this would be a good place to discuss the Armada Fleets,
really since the SG site doesn`t provide this. So 'discuss Armada' would be the slogan ;)

I am not sure whether a dedicated board for this is required. If the (for example) Marine fleet has its own sticky, and rules would come under the 'rules clarification and discussion' board, there doesnt seem the requirement for a board dedicated to Armada material.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with these, but I would probably rename the 'official rules discussion' to 'rules clarification and discussion'. I would also add a dedicated trade board for Gothic, and one seperate board for the (hopefully annual) GothiComp.

I am not sure if seperate stickys are required exactly. Would this be inside the rules development forum? I assume that it would and that we could (to start with, at least) just post here and try to make the thread titles clear.

Yes and yes  :)

Sounds good. I would agree that it is best to keep this kind of development into a specific, single forum, rather than seperate ones for new vessels, new fleets, etc. This would also cover background (at least initially).

Okay.

I am not sure whether a dedicated board for this is required. If the (for example) Marine fleet has its own sticky, and rules would come under the 'rules clarification and discussion' board, there doesnt seem the requirement for a board dedicated to Armada material.
No, I didn`t have the intention for a seperate Armada board but the Armada review is the idea to lure people to this Site to discuss the fleets.

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:08 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (CyberShadow @ Oct. 12 2005,10:24)

Thanks.

Pleaase could we have a clear distinction for fleet developemnt between official trial rules and fan generated rules (whether fan generated fleets or fan generated ships).

I have been a long term lurker (occasional poster) on BFG Yahoo Group, Port Maw and SG BFG Forums. All 3 of these forums were swamped by posters wanting some sort of public approval for their latest creation- the uber-cheese dreadnought with some sort of super death ray and holo-field shielding.

What was frustrating is these ships were only ever designed on paper or online. No one had ever built them. No one ever botrhered to check whether their "new" design was at all similar to the hundred other  near-identical homebrew ships.

For me the fun of the Smotherman formula was supposed to be that you would build a cool ship and then work out points value for you to be able to field said ship in friendly games. The reality was somewhat different.

Just imagine if there was a points formula for Epic and that you could increase the range of terminators to 100cm for 10 extra points and then give them the Titan Killer ability and Void Shields......     :angry:

So if we have any Experimental rules section for BFG please keep it tightly focused on discussion of official trial rules, such as new Ork fleets lists in BFG Mag or Battlefleet Armageddon from Armada.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:29 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I agree 100 percent. This is why I would probably rename the 'rules clarification and discussion' to include the word 'official' (that is, unofficial opinions on official rules) and make all other sections of the boards 'unofficial'.