Login |  Register |  FAQ

We Are Back.... Sort Of!

Post subject: We Are Back.... Sort Of!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Greetings, and first and foremost, thank you. I know its been longer than I anticipated, but there has been a lot going on, and I really appreciate all of the patience, support and understanding from all corners of the community.

So, what happened? Well, there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that I have completed a server upgrade. This has upgraded the server operating system, and other features such as the back end control panel, and allowed me to implement SSL, meaning that the site is encrypted and certified secure, which will be important as Google and other search engines will down grade non-secure sites in their results.

The bad news is that the upgrade of these forums is not yet complete. The original plan was to take down the site (since all data and software would be erased with the server update anyway) and then update these boards and other sites at the same time. However, there is a major step in the update process with these boards, and something is causing conflicts with the script running. Instead of leaving the boards offline for longer, I have decided to open up the boards under the previous, older version. I have also created a copy of the forums that I can experiment and play with, and when I have figured out the problems I will disable these boards, back them up and update the forum software. That's the plan....

During the downtime, I took initial steps in pushing this site forwards by setting up a Discord server. I have long wanted something to compliment these forums, and while Facebook is tempting I am not a fan of the format and it has too much overlap with what we already have here. I see Discord as going hand in hand with these boards, allowing real time chat while more long form discussion remains here. Discord will be great for 'I am in the middle of a game and I have a question....' or 'I am painting these minis and wanted to ask....' type discussions.

You can find the Discord server here - https://discord.gg/zhgBgVM

So, the plan for the future now is to work out the update process for these boards, and then turn my attention to the site around these forums. I plan to introduce a wiki-type structure and get a few 'ambassadors' tasked with adding content and coordinating input from the wider community, to cover all versions of Epic and all games at 6mm-10mm scale.

Again, thanks to all of you guys for sticking with this place.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: We Are Back.... Sort Of!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back...kind of!

Thanks for the work on this, it is much appreciated. Even if the facebook community have been screaming incoherently about it being too slow a process! I think the rest of us understand the limitations of a free service that you provide! :D

I like the idea of the Wiki structure, though sadly this more permanent style of data for wargaming has been tossed out by many in favour of facebook.

I joined the discord, but didn't really find it of any use so never used it. I find it cumbersome to navigate around and its much like whatsapp groups, you end up having to scroll back miles to find the 'start' of a part of a conversation. Not a fan of facebook but it at least lets you check out older posts without hassle. Much prefer blogs and forums! ;)

It was a bit weird finding the forum again under google, a lot of the links don't work or go the file not found pages. I presume this will fix itself when the google spiders next do a crawl.

Good luck with the tests, hope you find a solution that works.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:28 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Thank you.

Discord is not for everyone, and that's fine. It's an option, and wont replace the boards, or other avenues. It's just a nice 'instant chat' for those that want it. I have to admit that I have a bias against Facebook. I understand that its convenient and people are just always logged in there, but finding a discussion that I saw yesterday is a nightmare. And with no categories or themes, its just a big pot of vanishing posts.

The idea of a wiki structure is to allow multiple people to all contribute and organise content simultaneously, and rapidly get new content posted and updated, while also allowing structure and creating links between content that might not be immediately obvious - for example ancients minis for use in science fiction games, etc.

The Google links should slowly get updated, and its just a matter of the subdomain change.

I should also mention that I have 'archived' a load of attachments. Essentially, any attachment, picture, file, etc that was posted before 2019 has not been returned online. I still have it all, and can return files on request, but the attachments folder took a total of 36 hours continuously to download on a direct connection.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just want to say thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We all appreciate the work you put into this place. It makes me happy that you’ve managed to keep it ad-free (and sad that the rest of the web has been able to do so).

Keep fighting the code and hopefully you’ll crack it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the hard work. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:38 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Many thanks guys. Appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back and thanks for all your work!

So that means our painting plogs are missing photos if we hosted here? If we have archives should we reupload and correct the posts? Should we avoid addition of new attachment pictures if we don't want to lose them going forward?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you for keeping this site running!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah !!!!!

Attachments:
Gunny 2.jpg
Gunny 2.jpg [ 91.86 KiB | Viewed 15676 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers CS, appreciated mate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Appreciate all your hard work!

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the hard work!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I get “attachment does not exist any more” when clicking through to all attachments including recent ones, was it only thumbnails copied over?

Is it possible to run rsync on each server? To save having to download and upload and attend the transfer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:26 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I am currently working on the attachment issue. I will report back soon.